mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 03-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Devolumize an Ion?

As it says in the top,
Is it possible to devolumize an Ion (mech)?
And perhaps a better question would be, is there a point to do that? Will that make it more efficient, or the opposite?
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

sure, you can get some sort of plugs or rings and stuff them in. i don't know why you would, and to a point why. i do believe(though its a guesstimate, i don't know ions at all), is that the higher the pressure, the more you would need a LPR to balance the bolt.

though this is against the tinkering mantra, but the ion was cheap and it worked. some people have dumped more money into them than they are worth. they are mocked(to a point) and if you screw one up, no one will even really care.

so, what are you trying to do? what is the goal by lessening the volume? are you trying to increase the efficiency?

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
sure, you can get some sort of plugs or rings and stuff them in. i don't know why you would, and to a point why. i do believe(though its a guesstimate, i don't know ions at all), is that the higher the pressure, the more you would need a LPR to balance the bolt.

though this is against the tinkering mantra, but the ion was cheap and it worked. some people have dumped more money into them than they are worth. they are mocked(to a point) and if you screw one up, no one will even really care.

so, what are you trying to do? what is the goal by lessening the volume? are you trying to increase the efficiency?
Well the idea is to increase the efficiency, but i guess the question is whether the 25-15 available psi, before hitting the max of 200, are enough to make a difference with a reduced volume in the can... Anyhow probably a stupid idea, since the most common efficiency increases on ions done the opposite way, by reducing the operating pressure, rather than increasing it...

Last edited by Flint; 03-02-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I experimented with a devolumizer for my G1 (same platform, just bolt out back. Whether it really did anything for efficiency I can't absolutely confirm as I never did any real scientific level testing. An interesting thing to note though, is that the bolt-out-back style bodies (XE, G1/SP1, eNVy/Vibe, etc) are already devolumized compared to the older original Ion cans.

I'm not sure the 200 psi ceiling applies to you, unless it's a hose issue. The way I understood it was 200 psi was the limit for the solenoid, since you're meched you may be able to go higher than that (within reason).

I'd be interested to hear what the resident physicists say about this, to be honest. I don't know enough about spool valve flow dynamics to really make an educated guess. I know the dual tail o-rings mechanically limit dwell to something in the neighborhood of 20-25 ms from discussions on PBN's Ion subforum a few years ago, but pressure vs. flow and their effect on efficiency at that set dwell time if a different topic entirely.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
I experimented with a devolumizer for my G1 (same platform, just bolt out back. Whether it really did anything for efficiency I can't absolutely confirm as I never did any real scientific level testing. An interesting thing to note though, is that the bolt-out-back style bodies (XE, G1/SP1, eNVy/Vibe, etc) are already devolumized compared to the older original Ion cans.

I'm not sure the 200 psi ceiling applies to you, unless it's a hose issue. The way I understood it was 200 psi was the limit for the solenoid, since you're meched you may be able to go higher than that (within reason).

I'd be interested to hear what the resident physicists say about this, to be honest. I don't know enough about spool valve flow dynamics to really make an educated guess. I know the dual tail o-rings mechanically limit dwell to something in the neighborhood of 20-25 ms from discussions on PBN's Ion subforum a few years ago, but pressure vs. flow and their effect on efficiency at that set dwell time if a different topic entirely.
Hmm, i actually assumed the 200 psi was a hose issue, because the hose rating appears to be anywhere from 125psi to 255psi... But if the hose replaced with 500psi rated one, that indeed may not be an issue.

But as you say this is first and foremost a question of flow dynamics, of which i too dont know enough, to figure this out.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Deathwish_DW Send a message via Yahoo to Deathwish_DW

IF you're talking about one of our mech kits, I've had mine aired up to 340 without bursting to do something similar to what you what to do.

Proud Dealer of: Bob Long - DLX - Ninja Paintball - GOG - Deadlywind - Valken

MCB Feedback 57+ (People don't really leave me feedback, lol :d)
PBN Feedback 314+
eBay Feedback 1906+
Deathwish_DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish_DW View Post
IF you're talking about one of our mech kits, I've had mine aired up to 340 without bursting to do something similar to what you what to do.
But was it of any benefit? did the devolumizing increase the effiiciency?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

The SP Epiphany was essentially an Ion with swappable devolumizer inserts. This design change was implemented to compensate for drop off in strings of shots that came about due to feed relatively low pressure air through narrow passages. The inserts allowed the gun to run at a higher pressure, allowing for a faster dump chamber fill. Efficiency came down to optimizing the dwell relative to your pressure.

All that being said, I can't speak to how this would influence the mechanical design.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish_DW View Post
I did a bit of reading on your and y0da's kit's and, y0da's appears to be saying that the SMAV seals are unreliable on higher than 200psi?

Also, both of you were saying that only full length, with 2 oring tail, bolts work. But someone had a Tech T L7 working despite the immobile tail piece, and in the kit i have the bolt is a single oring tail, also working fine...?
Thats leads me to the question of would a Deadlywind HollowPoint work? Or is even a lighter bolt necessary for a lower volume, higher pressure operation?

Last edited by Flint; 03-03-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Single tail or tail-less bolts will CYCLE, however they're not shutting off the dump chamber or mechanically controlling the dwell, so the dump chamber is staying open (and losing efficiency) until you let go of the trigger every shot. This should also result in wild swings in velocity, so if you're not already running a dual tail o-ring bolt with a mech ion or eNMEy, you should be.

My question is, what would happen if someone were to build a dual tail o-ringed bolt with a smaller gap between the two o-rings, so that the mechanical dwell was even further reduced? I can't find the source anywhere (have been looking for days) but I remember reading a few years back how a dual tail o-ring bolt has something in the neighborhood of 20-25 MS of mechanical dwell. I know I've lowered dwell on an L6 bolted Ion to less than that with no ill results, so what if we narrowed the space between the o-rings so the mechanical dwell were, say, 15-18 MS?
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts