mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Home made goggle spray?

Could i possibly make lenses safe cleaner from home? Any tips?
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

I use a small part rubbing alcohol to aide in evaporation, and water. At the field I use a spray bottle and shoot off the paint on the lense, and then wipe dry with a very clean worn out cotton T shirt, or a cotton baby diaper. Microfiber towels will collect dust that is basically impossible to remove and wind up scratching, and brand new unwashed ones leave little tiny fibers on the lens. (in my experience) They are nice, but sort of a gimmick.

Experiment with water in spray bottle and maybe try some rubbing alcohol and see if it is worth using for you. Percentage doesn't matter, if its the same price get the highest percentage it just means it has less water in it from the get go.

When at home, I use warm (not hot) water to wash everything off completely, and then gently dry it the same way. You shouldn't really use any aggressive cleaning solution. I have heard of people that had problems using alcohol on their lenses even dilluted with water, but I have never had any issues.

The most important thing is that the wiping you do to your lens is only to dry it, not to clean it. If you wipe paint and shell off you are dragging things that will scratch the lens right across its surface.

Obviously there are times when a quick (though not as delicate) wipe may be neccesary to get going right away on the field with back to back games. At the very least, reduce the amount of paint you smear off with a rag or paper towel.

Paper towels are very scratchy BTW. Not recommended.

I'm sure someone has completely contrary experiences to mine, so take all these tips you hear with a grain of salt, people are touchy about these kinds of techniques, almost as touchy as "what is the best hopper" heh.

Last edited by Cunha; 03-21-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'll step in with contrary experiences to Cunha. In my opinion a microfiber is the only way to go. I have both high quality and cheap microfibers in my gearbag. The high quality for my personal use on my lenses, the cheap ones to lend out or use on guns/etc. A high quality microfiber will work quite excellently on a mask, and as Cunha said, it is for dry purposes not cleaning. To clean use a spray bottle or running water. Cunha's at home cleaning method is spot on.

Also I have to question the desire to make at home lens cleaner, as some of the commercially available cleaners are excellent and not that expensive. If you do go homemade use distilled water and isopropyl(rubbing) alcohol at the most. Anything stronger runs the risk of damaging the plastics that make up your lens, and tap water will leave residue. If you aren't up for making your own cleaner, I suggest a bottle of Virtue's cleaner, Glint. It comes in a 250ml spray bottle for around $10. It is the best commercial cleaner specifically for paintball that I have used. I'm going into my second season with the same bottle, and I have barely used any of it. I clean my lens religiously, which mean once in the morning before I start to play, anytime after my mask is shot, at the end of the day before my mask goes back into my bag, and once more when I get home and completely disassemble and clean the mask.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

I was looking to make my own because i am lazy there arnt many stores near me
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseprometheus View Post
Also I have to question the desire to make at home lens cleaner, as some of the commercially available cleaners are excellent and not that expensive. If you do go homemade use distilled water and isopropyl(rubbing) alcohol at the most. Anything stronger runs the risk of damaging the plastics that make up your lens, and tap water will leave residue.
In general, the problem with products made specifically for paintball is that the cost to volume ratio is relatively high. Honestly, I hope nobody believes that Virtue has a chemical production facility and are cranking out and bottling Glint. I'm betting that they found another polycarbonate cleaner and are simply having it packaged under their name (with possible customization options for scent, color, etc).

So, if one wanted to save money, and had their own sprayer, they could buy a polycarbonate cleaner (i.e. Brillianize, Parker's Perfect, C-Clear liquid, or Rapid Tac's Rapid Clear)) and go to town (but, not in the inside of a thermal lens, no cleaners should go there). Just look at C-Clear 44 Lens Cleaner Solution, it does anti-fog and anti-static and goes for 25.76/Gallon at Lab Planet (cheaper if you buy it by the case).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

You can just call or email FOG DOC.

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post
You can just call or email FOG DOC.

Later,
Blackrain
Do they sell their cleaner solution in volume (i.e. gallon sizes)? As they currently offer on the website, the prices are comparable to every other paintball lens cleaner.
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Uv, I wasn't trying to insinuate that Virtue made the cleaner, simply that out of the paintball branded cleaners, theirs was the best I have used. If I could track down the cleaner that they have rebottled or rather had rebranded for them, I would gladly buy it in bulk. In fact once my current bottle is empty, I probably will track down their source.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
Do they sell their cleaner solution in volume (i.e. gallon sizes)? As they currently offer on the website, the prices are comparable to every other paintball lens cleaner.
I'm sure he does. Contact Stuppid Dog here on MCB. He owns FOG DOC. I'm about 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% he will sell by the the gallon

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseprometheus View Post
Uv, I wasn't trying to insinuate that Virtue made the cleaner, simply that out of the paintball branded cleaners, theirs was the best I have used. If I could track down the cleaner that they have rebottled or rather had rebranded for them, I would gladly buy it in bulk. In fact once my current bottle is empty, I probably will track down their source.
I didn't want you to think I was talking about you, or anyone in particular. If I did, I would have said something like 'I hope you don't...'. sorry for the confusion.

I do think a lot of folks (especially the younger crowd) think Virtue makes everything they sell. Just like a lot of people think Tiberius Arms makes the First Strike rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post
I'm sure he does. Contact Stuppid Dog here on MCB. He owns FOG DOC. I'm about 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% he will sell by the the gallon

Later,
Blackrain
That's good to know. I'm at the other end of 'lazy', I buy paintball goggle cleaner as bottled and sold at the local store but, if folks are really concerned about price they should like into buying in volume for consumables like this.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts