mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 03-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Barrel Threading Question

This has been bugging me.

So for general barrel needs I have two Pipe kits, one in A/C thread and another in Impulse threads. (Irrelevant but cool, I have every bore size and tip size made, in both gloss and dust black/silver a.)

Having been messing with these kits (and my other, specific use barrels) a lot recently, I've noticed how friggen annoying A/C threads are when directly compared with Impulse threads.

The advantages to Impulse threads that are quickly evident (to me) are -

1. WAYYYY waster/easier to thread/unthread.

2. Potencial for shorter body due to thread length

3. Thicker threads

So with this in mind I have a question -

1. Why has A/C become standard? I feel like in a world where most companies make their branded barrels in well used threads i'm not sure the benefit. Do companies get paid royalities when others use "their threads" (I can't imagine that threads can be patented, and they should be expired by now anyway).

A/C threads just seem inferior to impulse threading, so what are the advantages of A/C threading (aside from how many markers use it)?

Dust Red/Chrome Evil Pimp Kit
Evil Detonator HPR, Machette On/Off, Stock Trigger w/ Spring, Matrix Detent Mod/Detents, Kila Eye Covers, Kila Grips, Chrome Evil Smokestack

Dangerous Power Dark Earth Threshold- Black CP HPR
AGD Classic Mag - Intelliframe, Benchmark rail/forgrip, Shocktech drop/ASA.
Azodin KP2 2011 - Stock

Barrels
A/C - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), Lucker .678, CP .691 (Dust Black). Bob Long Assasins .689
Impulse - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), 14inch Pipe (Dust Black/Silver), Redz Pepperstick .689
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BPS View Post
A/C threads just seem inferior to impulse threading, so what are the advantages of A/C threading (aside from how many markers use it)?
That's pretty much it. The autococker was one of the biggest high ends of it's day, everyone made barrels for them, so when someone came out with a new high end gun having the same threads so people could use their favorite aftermarket barrel from their cocker was a huge selling point. The good old Rainmaker started it (at least for electros), Bob Long continued it with first the Defiant and later Intimidator (with the Tribal somewhere in the middle of all that), and EVERYONE has been doing it since.

Market saturation, the one and only reason why everyone makes things cocker threaded.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Fair enough. The best and worst reason at the same time. I'd love to see how short some modern single tubes (my threshy for example) could be with pulse threads.

Dust Red/Chrome Evil Pimp Kit
Evil Detonator HPR, Machette On/Off, Stock Trigger w/ Spring, Matrix Detent Mod/Detents, Kila Eye Covers, Kila Grips, Chrome Evil Smokestack

Dangerous Power Dark Earth Threshold- Black CP HPR
AGD Classic Mag - Intelliframe, Benchmark rail/forgrip, Shocktech drop/ASA.
Azodin KP2 2011 - Stock

Barrels
A/C - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), Lucker .678, CP .691 (Dust Black). Bob Long Assasins .689
Impulse - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), 14inch Pipe (Dust Black/Silver), Redz Pepperstick .689
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts