mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 04-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Machinists, need your input...

I have access to a lathe at work, but the chuck only goes down to about 5/8" diameter. I don't use it a lot, and don't know much more other than basic facing/cutting, and how to avoid crashing the thing.

I have a couple of small parts I'd like to run on it (mostly 1/2" brass rod stock getting center drilled and cut down to 1/4" diameter for a small section. Since the part's final ID doesn't need to be bigger than 1/2", I'd rather use 1/2" stock than cutting down 3/4" that will actually fit the chuck of the lathe.

I'm not looking to buy expensive equipment for the lathe I don't own, and frankly I can't predict how much it would get used anyway, so can I just chuck this up in the existing chuck and use it safely/reliably?

1 32 1 2" Geared Drill Chuck with 3 4 SS Arbor Shank and Key | eBay

Or is there a better way that won't break the bank or require me to perform operations I'm really not qualified for?

Now I'm starting to wonder how much of a dumbass I'm going to sound like for asking this....
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
wes

The chuck you linked is really meant for holding a drills not for chucking stock for turning, but for a little small diameter turning you may be OK.

A simpler way would be make a bushing, take a piece of stock that will fit in the existing chuck(5/8-3/4) and make a hole in it the size of your stock, cut some slits in it so it will flex, and chuck in the lathe. You would need a bushing for each diameter of stock you plan to use.

Is there a 5C collet chuck and collets for that lathe, that would be best.

Last edited by wes; 04-06-2013 at 06:50 PM.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Get 5/8th stock?

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
so can I just chuck this up in the existing chuck and use it safely/reliably?

1 32 1 2" Geared Drill Chuck with 3 4 SS Arbor Shank and Key | eBay
Honestly, all I can think of is images of your work piece or the drill chuck itself working loose and FLYING out of the lathe and impaling someone. The spinning motion, combined with the pressure of the cutting tool makes me think there would be a possibility that the drill chuck could slowly begin to open. Drill chucks are most likely built for straight-on (for lack of a better term) pressure, not pressure that pushes at a sideways angle.

It's hard to say. I would try seeing how it works at a LOW speed (like, below a steel turning speed) and later on then turn it up for the brass/aluminum/delrin or whatever you're working with.

Last edited by Hawkeye20; 04-06-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
Get 5/8th stock?
The problem with that is the parts I'm making need a different diameter hole drilled in each side, one side gets a hole for a 1/4-28 thread, the other a 1/8 NPT thread. So at some point it needs to be flipped and the final product is short, just an inch to inch and a half. Final diameter has to be 1/2" max or it won't fit where it's intended to be installed. I could conceivably just leave a 1" portion of it that I leave in 5/8 and hacksaw it off at the end but I feel like with the particular lathe in question it'll be harder to get it chucked up straight with that short of a piece actually making contact with the chuck, if that makes any sense. Would also waste a lot of material that way. Material that's already more expensive then the same length 1/2" stock.

And yes, this will be getting turned at lower speed, I have no reason or desire to be turning this at 3200 RPM or anything stupid like that. I'm an amateur, not an idiot.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
And yes, this will be getting turned at lower speed, I have no reason or desire to be turning this at 3200 RPM or anything stupid like that. I'm an amateur, not an idiot.
When I said slow, I meant closer to ~600 RPM (good speed for cold folded steel) to start with. Do some testing.

Another thing you could do: Ask whoever is in charge of the lathe (or just your boss) if there is a smaller chuck that will go smaller than 5/8ths somewhere in the back storage room? The shop that I work in typically has more than one size of just about anything you could possibly need.

You never know, wouldn't hurt to ask.

Last edited by Hawkeye20; 04-06-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
The problem with that is the parts I'm making need a different diameter hole drilled in each side, one side gets a hole for a 1/4-28 thread, the other a 1/8 NPT thread. So at some point it needs to be flipped and the final product is short, just an inch to inch and a half. Final diameter has to be 1/2" max or it won't fit where it's intended to be installed. I could conceivably just leave a 1" portion of it that I leave in 5/8 and hacksaw it off at the end but I feel like with the particular lathe in question it'll be harder to get it chucked up straight with that short of a piece actually making contact with the chuck, if that makes any sense. Would also waste a lot of material that way. Material that's already more expensive then the same length 1/2" stock.

Are you Sure of that number?? I think you better check that again or you will have some very unhappy customers lol. Unless you are making something other than what I am thinking of.

I would just make a bushing. do all the turning and external threading first, part it off. Flip it, face it, through drill for porting and then drill the npt port. the npt port may not be perfectkly in line with the body but its pipe thread, it really wont make a huge difference. Try and find an npt fitting that actually goes in perfectly straight. the ones from china don't lol.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

do you have access to ER32 collets? If you do this would work New C1" ER32 100L Straight Milling Chuck Holder US | eBay
tony montana 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana 2 View Post
do you have access to ER32 collets? If you do this would work New C1" ER32 100L Straight Milling Chuck Holder US | eBay
Well, that's cool.

ER32 collets are interesting. I've only used R8's and 5C's.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have a ER32 to MT3 for my lathe works great
tony montana 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts