mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

I subscribed to this thread just for all the information on the different Sheridan markers. Thanks, Cunha.

ZDF42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

I decided not to post this, but because of your comment Diomedes I will try to make this more complete by mentioning that the KP series have a different lower tube configuration than other sheridans.

The PPS guns (factory guns not conversions like strokers) all use a KP length lower tube which PPS found to be either more efficient, or maybe smoother. Probably both. The lower tube is longer behind the valve allowing for a longer hammer stroke. This is the reason that a PPS pug is considerably more forward heavy than a PGP, it has both a longer lower tube, and a centerfire bolt. The feed tube still only holds 10 those design differences make it much longer.

PGP and other (non KP) Sheridan lower tubes are the same, besides the obvious external differences between the PMI1 and the PGP, the feed port on the PMI1 is just moved forward to drop the ball in front of the centerfire bolt (which is further forward so that the air from the valve flows through the bolt, rather than just in front of it)

One could convert a PGP to centerfire configuration by simply using a centerfire bolt, and relocating the feed port. You see this on many PGP strokers like this one

You can see the old feed port that is partially covered by the sight rail.

The reason this is done is probably because the timing between firing an automated cocking gun, and the cocking action is really tight. There is probably enough wiggle room for the ball to move around and under the right circumstances (with a rim fire configuration) there is the possibility that the ball will wind up too close to the gas port, and burst. I had a PG stroker that retained the rimfire bolt and it was a bit fussy.

This is why a KP converted into a Hurricane is virtually the same as a scratch built PPS hurricane..the sheridan KP lower tube is basically the same. All other "strokers" (the PPS name for semi auto converted sheridan) use the sheridan lower tube which separates them from the scratch built PPS typhoons and houndstooths (pumpers)

The name for a scratch built PPS wood stocked gun is a Painter, but functionally this would be the same as a palmerized KP if both had the same features.

Last edited by Cunha; 05-04-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts