mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Why brass?

I love my sheridans don't get me wrong. I don't love all sheridans, but I've got a soft spot in my heart for KP's, PMI 1's, and Palmer brass.

I recently started playing again after a 4 year absence or so, and I've only been playing stock class since my return. The only gun I've really used in the last 7 months or so has been my Palmer Super Stocker. The field I normally play at doesn't have a lot of regular pump players (let alone any stock class that I've seen). I'm constantly asked the usual "what is that, why do you use a pump, etc" but I was GENUINELY stumped on what to answer when someone asked me "Why did you have your gun made out of brass?"

Now I know that others and myself included enjoy the "heft" of them. But easily the same thing could be achieved by using more metal (milling less) to achieve the same "heft".

I've also heard that some think it's a superior metal to create a gun from because of the friction coefficients, but I don't know enough about to try and sell that idea to someone without any facts.

And of course there is the historical transition coming from pellet guns to the early paintball guns.

And again I love the Sheridans I own, they shoot amazing, point naturally, and are dependable workhorses, but those three facts listed above don't make for good oral persuasion.

So I ask the Mcarterbrown community, why do we continue to use brass in this day and age besides what I listed above?

WTB any color XL Hundredth Monkey Bounce Cap. Only looking for old school style.
Sincera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

AKA Fan
because reasons

wts bko for cheap
jc_10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass has a warm and almost living quality, maturing as it ages and improving in form and function.
BretG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Chesnut

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Vintage.
Feedback
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincera View Post
those three facts listed above don't make for good oral persuasion.
Ask MAr for tips on 'good oral persuasion.' As for verbal persuasion, I think it's just a throwback to when brass tubing was one of the cheapest, easiest ways to make a functioning marking pistol on the existing tooling of the day. It's probably endured because it's also one of the most eye pleasing and can be made reasonably functional. That plus 'I wanna be old school' are enough to overcome the fact that brass is not the most durable barrel material and is no longer the cheapest method by a long shot.
Air Power Vector... a MAN's gun....... A gun with a report loud enough that lesser players will pee themselves in fright at the massive concussion wave emmited by the stout thick walled barrel of DOOM. A paintball gun fit for Arnold in the original Terminator movie. A gun that'll pump up those pect's of yours to where women will swoon at the raw muscles you'll soon have.

Air Power Vector, for the man that has climbed to the peak and wants to look down on the beaten and defeated opponents left in his wake.
John Satclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Kilt Fan
Style, brotha.

Brass is the ivory of paintball.
Dr. VonDeafingson
I typically carry one extra tube and give them 1 ball from it.

I'm an *** like that.

My Feedback!
vv0mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Satclaire View Post
Ask MAr for tips on 'good oral persuasion.' As for verbal persuasion
Walked right into that one.

WTB any color XL Hundredth Monkey Bounce Cap. Only looking for old school style.
Sincera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

Its all about the harmonic resonance of the the molecules. Acts like a tuning fork to help the paintball float down the barrel without friction......

sounded good to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I honestly can barely stand most of the mods here, and don't even get me started on the f***ing Canadian ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually
snaparen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
GMO Population control

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaparen View Post
its all about the harmonic resonance of the the molecules. Acts like a tuning fork to help the paintball float down the barrel without friction......

Sounded good to me.
Ha ha haaa, classic!
Emotional pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
i think the phantom needle is in my arm for good now..
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Because when you sand, polish or dremel on Brass, it leaves that special taste in your mouth that makes you more manly.

I personally like brass guns because the DIY type person can customize them pretty extensively with some simple hand tools and a blow torch and some solder. Look what Walz creates, and he doesn't have any fancy machines, just some basic hand tools, creativity, and a very skilled set of hands.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts