mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Have been designing a new gun

For some time now, since about 2002, I've had this Idea for paintball gun that I wanted to build, it is a spring returned spool valve. Kinda a FASOR but, with no hammer I am not sure if this has been done before.

I've looked into machineshops and needless to say I was horrified by the price and it is frustrating to work with small companies. So I have settled on Emachineshop that way I don't have to deal with humans, and the pricing is acceptable (actually it is quite good if you are talking 100+ units). More importantly, most of my Items would take less than a month to make and ship (Some machine shops told me 6+months for 50 units!).

So here is the bolt, just got it into the emachine software (it doesn't use DWG, which is strange)

That shaft coming out the rear has a .25 inch section (Not shown on the render) that is 10-32 threaded, and threads into a ram. I think that this could be a very good gun, being simplicity is at the key of my design.

I wanted to know what you guys thought on one issue I am having with my design, Do I want to use an LPR or not? I mean, it would make things much simpler not to have one, but then the gun is vulnerable to pressure spikes and I am assuming, I'd need new springs in the solenoid pilot to handle the pressure? I am not sure on this...

Last edited by sdlm; 10-04-2007 at 04:28 PM.
sdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

The only advice I can give you is to keep pictures and ideas off the internet or you'll be playing with your new marker sooner than you think. Of course it will be produced, sold and most certainly patented by some scum sucking greedy paintball company and you'll be wondering what happened.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cheffer

Spring returned spool valve? Spring returned, but how is it fired? Blow forward (ion/proto rail) or with some sort of low pressure air driving the bolt forward (matrix/shocker). If it's a blow forward then you've basically described an automag (spring returned, blow forward, spool'ed valve).
jhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

No, not like a mag, see a mag uses a dump chamber this design doesn't use a fixed volume of air, hence how I am certain I could run without an LPR if desired. If I were willing to have dwell high enough I could run at 40psi and use as much volume as I wanted to get the ball to speed, though obviously I won't since that has great practical limitations. That and there is no sear....

I am weary to explain exactly how it works, since I really don't want anyone copying my design, or at least not until I can make one. I am of the persuasion that when something is made, it is fine for people to make better things for it or based off of it, which is why I loved all the cockers even if they weren't made by WGP, companies like AKA really went in an interesting direction with their designs and I am all for that once, I get it released that is.

Astute readers will probably see the bolt and understand how it works though. That is fine, I am saving for my Inital production run which is only going to be 30-50 markers anyway, it isn't like I am going to get rich off of them. I probably won't be able to make any real money at such low numbers anyway. What I want to do is at least break even and have a design that is what I want.

I will say this, it has a separate ram that screws into the bolts tailshaft.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

lol about stealing...bet smartparts has it at the patent attorney's desk today...

anyway great bolt..if all the bugs are worked out...keep in touch here...as some of us are working on projects too...let us know if the production run of parts have great finish/machined right..done in time ect...
RealtorTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dalious

*cough* smart parts*cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
The only advice I can give you is to keep pictures and ideas off the internet or you'll be playing with your new marker sooner than you think. Of course it will be produced, sold and most certainly patented by some scum sucking greedy paintball company and you'll be wondering what happened.

"you have some soul searching to do. first you have to find your soul...." -Fluff
dalious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

I doubt Smart Parts would want the design, they might want to sue me if I make it, but since they have the Ion and it seems alot cheaper to produce anyway I doubt they'd want it...

In any case, I think if I changed it from a single tube to a stacked tube, I could make it mechanical. All it would need is an air actuated piston that cuts airflow off to the bolt, and a chamber in front of that to use as a dump chamber... That wouldn't even violate dye's patent on the bolt cutting off the air supply. It is just I want a single tube electro that I can be proud of, but if I got served a C&D I could still use those parts to make a mechanical gun.

oh, and here is the ram, that is the only other internal part (Aside from the spring), it is 10-32 threaded internally, and a small 10-32 nut will fit on the end when it is screwed into the bolt to lock it in place:

What I am particularly proud of his how simple this all is, think about the shoebox shockers ram how many o-rings are on it? this is a real one o-ring ram, and instead of using a casing that goes around the ram, it uses the design of the body itself, still have to Cad it in E-machine shop to show you guys, but this is the way I think markers should be 5-o-rings for a spool valve.

Last edited by sdlm; 10-04-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Every Dog has its Day

Send a message via AIM to netsurferdude2 Send a message via Skype™ to netsurferdude2

I highly recommend you drop the pics off of here, unless you want everyone to have them.

You idea could be taken. I'd keep it on the "down low" if I was you.
When I worked in the county prison, all my pals among the correctional officer staff were always talking about how they needed a large(r) caliber handgun in case they were confronted by someone on "PCP" or "Angel dust".

Now... all they talk about is zombies.
netsurferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

Don't think we aren't interested in your project. We just don't want to see you get ripped off. Keep up the good work.
Tug

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.
Tugboater203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah man, trust me, I know how hard it is to keep exciting things under-wraps, but I'd suggest keeping your renderings off-line until you have time-stamp proof for a copyright and patent that you came up with the idea first.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts