mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Revvy 101 (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/236133-revvy-101-a.html)

reepneep 06-22-2013 01:48 AM

Revvy 101

This thread is intended to be a crash course on the revvy as info has been rather scarce (I started playing after the Rotor was released, sue me). Please post corrections or things you'd like to add to it, I'll be editing it as we go along. This is what I've got so far:

Shells:
All revvy parts fit all revvy shells regardless of age or model. Mix n' match.
Early (Viewloader) revvy shells were tough, kinda soft feeling. Came with opaque, tupperware-esque lids. Indestructible.
Later (JT) revvy shells were harder, much more brittle plastic, often translucent. Came with clear, very fragile lids.
New JT revvys use a shell material very similar to the originals but still have the fragile clear plastic lids.

Boards:
9 volt: Single 9v and an eye in the feedneck. Fed approx 9bps.
12 volt: Dual 9v and an eye in the feedneck. Fed approx 12bps.
xboard: Dual 9v with a sound sensor. Fed approx 12bps, but more consistent due to faster response of sensor.

Motors:
All revvys used the same motor?

Paddles:
Early revvys used a rigid two prong paddle. Later ones used a flexible four prong model which fed a bit faster. Six prong aftermarket paddles were available that fed even better. The new JT Revvys use a spring loaded four prong model which supposedly helps keep the thing from jamming.

Nobody 06-22-2013 03:27 AM

the X board was a "faster" and also fixed the sun bleed through on the eyes. it was not sound activated. the Reloader board was sound activated. it was released by Empire in conjunction with the Reloader B which was a sound activated Halo copy.

all the motors where the same.

paddles, there was the 9 volt, which was just 2. the 12 volt used a 4 paddles. you can also use a eggy 6 blade paddle.

Falcone 06-22-2013 07:56 AM

Yeah I took a eggy paddle and heated up the prongs with a lighter and bent them upward so they didn't pass over the feedneck hole. Works wonders. After seeing people doing this JMJ started selling paddles like this.

There's also the JT Tripod system, where its a 200rnd shake and shoot with a removable motor/board and battery housing.

And you can't forget the shredder 3000 ( think it was 3000) which was a 18volt 300round monster revy, always wanted one of those.

pghp8ntballer 06-22-2013 09:34 AM

The reloader kits worked with revvy shells with some minor internal modding of the plastic. But revvy boards cannot be used in reloader shells be because reloader shells do not have eye slots in the feed neck.

The paddles of the reloader and revvy are not interchangeable. The revvy motor has a hex head shaft for the paddle to mount to with a screw in the center. The reloader motor uses a splined motor shaft for the paddle to mount to with a screw in the center.

pghp8ntballer 06-22-2013 09:36 AM

The lids are interchangeable between the revvy and reloader but there is some play at the hinge because one door hinge is narrower than the other... But I can't remember which.

And one more thing I swear... The shell screws are different as well. Revvy shell screws use two different diameter threads on the same screw. Think like a high and low thread. Reloader screws are just a single smaller thread. The revvy screws can work in reloader shells but reloader screws do not work with revvy shells very well.

capitalpaintball 06-22-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Shells:
All revvy parts fit all revvy shells regardless of age or model. Mix n' match
Early (Viewloader) revvy shells were tough, kinda soft feeling. Came with opaque, tupperware-esque lids. Indestructible.
Later (JT) revvy shells were harder, much more brittle plastic, often translucent. Came with clear, very fragile lids.
New JT revvys use a shell material very similar to the originals but still have the fragile clear plastic lids.

Boards:
9 volt: Single 9v and an eye in the feedneck. Fed approx 9bps.
12 volt: Dual 9v and an eye in the feedneck. Fed approx 12bps.
xboard: Dual 9v with a sound sensor. Fed approx 12bps, but more consistent due to faster response of sensor.

Motors:
All revvys used the same motor?

Paddles:
Early revvys used a rigid two prong paddle. Later ones used a flexible four prong model which fed a bit faster. Six prong aftermarket paddles were available that fed even better. The new JT Revvys use a spring loaded four prong model which supposedly helps keep the thing from jamming.
Some errors here:

Not all shells are interchangeable. they messed with the shape when BE took over. generally soft side cant mix with hard. but even some of the hards dont mix. same for lids, I have come across at least 3 different sized lids.

X-boards were the "fix" for the crap boards they put in when they tried to do clear sides. the eyes were affected by sun light so they added a delay to the boards(run like crap). but they are still eye activated. sound boards were never X-boards. sound boards are from empire and they used the same sides as VL and you could put eyes in them, but they got sued by BE for the shape and made their own sides.

although the motors are all the same there is a batch from the Eagle days that run slow and are very loud.

SD.Pump 06-22-2013 12:18 PM

Needs work.

18v Shredder hopper
CAT Revvy
Servos are not the same some have hex shafts some have little nubs.
As mentioned, shells not interchangeable but also lids are not interchangeable. The mouth changed size a few times during the decade.

Halo speed feeds fit but may need a bit of sanding or reshaping.

Target 06-22-2013 03:12 PM

I purchased some red shells and the stock lid did not fit.
I bought one side at my local pro shop, the other at NPS in Jersey.

I tried lids from different Viewloader models (old style, new style) and none worked,
I finally got a Halo lid and it worked fine.

What would be considered the "best" board to use?

someasianballer 06-22-2013 04:45 PM

Can I put an x board into a 9v rev and will it be able to maintain the same performance on a 9v?

SD.Pump 06-22-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someasianballer (Post 2740468)
Can I put an x board into a 9v rev and will it be able to maintain the same performance on a 9v?

The X-board needs two 9V to work. The battery terminals are part of the board. You can put an xboard into a 9v revvy but then it needs 2 9V's.