mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Budget Baller

Question about vests with/without velcro waist belts

Hi all,

I'm currently shopping around for a new vest to use with a camelbak bladder for an upcoming scenario game.

Question: When running with full pods on your back, do they bounce around or bang on your backside?

I've never played in a vest before so I'm not sure. I can't decide whether to get a vest with or without a velcro waist band (like some of the BT vests).

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
I use an Empire bamf vest with the velcro waistband and absolutely love it. It is basically a pod pack with a vest attached to it. No bouncing of the pods while running around and you can wear the front a little loose. Very nice adjustability, breathes very well, good construction it is honestly one of the best paintball purchases I have ever made.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
I've used the gxg flurry knock off for years. Does not have a belt, just a pod-pack style Velcro waistband. But below that it has two Velcro loops in the front. I wear a pistol belt through those loops and around the back between the pod packs and vest. Works pretty well and everything stays tight. I've never worn it without the pistol belt though, so couldn't say whether the pods bounce without it.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

I personally like vests with the elastic/velcro waistbands. My current one does not and it's noticable.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Budget Baller

Thanks for the info, guys! I knew I could count on MCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
I personally like vests with the elastic/velcro waistbands. My current one does not and it's noticable.
Which vest are you currently using?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just picked up a Valken Echo vest. It has the belt on it and I have to say it is really nice. Cinches everything down to your body. Feels like a pod pack but a nice portion of the weight is shifted unto the shoulder straps.
dragon1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Budget Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1291 View Post
I just picked up a Valken Echo vest. It has the belt on it and I have to say it is really nice. Cinches everything down to your body. Feels like a pod pack but a nice portion of the weight is shifted unto the shoulder straps.
Sounds like I might have to go with one with a belt for sure now! I was looking at the Echo vest too but I think I might go with a BT since it's molle and I don't have to always have 6+3 on.

Anyone have any opinions good or bad on the BT Merc?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Note that most paintball "molle" systems aren't really molle style where you weave between the vest and the attachment. It's more "half molle" if that makes sense.
dragon1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Keep an eye on the space you have for the camelbak if it is not integrated. The larger standard size (1.5 liter?) will hang over pods in a waist pack. It's not too bad except if you squat, which puts more pressure on the pods and starts pushing the waist pack downward when you stand up (or lifting the camelbak off a vest). Some of the vests either come with bladders or specify which size they will carry.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Budget Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1291 View Post
Note that most paintball "molle" systems aren't really molle style where you weave between the vest and the attachment. It's more "half molle" if that makes sense.
I've heard that thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Keep an eye on the space you have for the camelbak if it is not integrated. The larger standard size (1.5 liter?) will hang over pods in a waist pack. It's not too bad except if you squat, which puts more pressure on the pods and starts pushing the waist pack downward when you stand up (or lifting the camelbak off a vest). Some of the vests either come with bladders or specify which size they will carry.
Oh good to know! Does this happen for larger ones for both integrated pouches and molle?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts