mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Optimal Setting For Bob Long Protege?

What are the optimal settings for a Gen 5 Protege?
Currently I have the LPR at 75 PSI, and the Dwell is at 7 MS.
I keep reading things that list the LPR anywhere from 65 PSI to 75 PSI and the Dwell from 6 ms to 8 ms.
Everything in the marker is stock. No LP poppit, no special ram.
Thanks for the help!

And yes, I have posted this in the BL section of the Armory but zero replies. Hoping that if I post here it'll get a little bit more exposure. Thanks!
dragon1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

If you want optimal pressure settings, sweet spot your regulators and then write down the pressures so you don't have to do it again.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pump Convert

Sweet spot is the way. There should be some stuff over on PBN.

Takes less than 5 minutes too. 6 ms dwell is kinda low, but I had a vice.
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Backing off how hard you hit the poppet (reducing LPR pressure, reducing dwell) can have a pretty negative effect on how your gun performs

If you have to increase HPR pressure to increase velocity (with a "tuned LPR"), this can have a "submarine door" effect on the poppet, and your reduced dwell and LPR pressure can actually cause your velocity to go down.

If you smack the poppet hard, it opens up all the way, allowing your to run a lower HPR which is what actually propels the ball out of the barrel.

I tend to just run my dwell @ 8ms, LPR @ 80psi, and I've found this allows me to reduce my HPR pressure to get to 300fps.

Leave your dwell @ 8ms. Set your gun to 80psi and your HPR to 300fps. Then start backing out your LPR slowly until your velocity starts to drop. Once it starts to drop, tighten it 1/4 turn. That should put your ram at it's optimum pressure so it's not over-smacking the poppet, causing vibration through the gun.

Idealy, you shouldn't be using your LPR to adjust velocity. If you are, you need to increase your LPR pressure.

But I've found from shooting Bob Long's for years, that they really tend to like 80psi. Once you start going below that, all hell breaks loose with inconsistency over the chrono. I played the entire 2009 PSP using the Vice, and I kept it at 80psi the entire season. Every time I walked up the chrono, regardless of what city I was in, it shot consistent. Whenever my consistency started to get a bit flaky, low LPR was always to blame.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks! Really Helps, also clears up why I was having some consistency issues when my ram was around 70 PSI.
dragon1291 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts