mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

tank regulator help

i can't figure it out. on the top there is an allen threaded bolt (we'll call it) with a locking adjuster on it. under that is another allen bolt. i can't get it to fill the line without having air come out of the little blow off in hole.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Looks like an old AA Raptor or the like, what "blow off" hole are you referring to?
Old 10-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

where it tapers off to the thinner part, there is a tiny hole. air shoots out of there. i really just don't understand how this regulator works.....
Old 10-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Needs new knees

The internal "Hex" Slides out, that is the reg piston. Get it out, replace the o-ring with an AGD piston o-ring and lightly lube with air gun oil, NOT grease.

Now when using that sustem, do not adjust the pressure down below 500psi without doing the following. Turn the adjust out 1-2 turns, then fire the gun, repeat until adjuster is all the way out. OR just empty the tank completely. The tank pressure will push that piston o-ring into the blow off hole and nick it, unless you shoot it some as you adjust it out. If you take the body halves apart you WILL have to put in a new seat. Seats and other parts can be found on ebay, under the sellers name of AAchopshop. But piston o-rings are the same as Mag pistons, so those are a cheaper choice.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you!!!!

i'm going to check the o-ring when i get home. thanks again for all your help.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

That is a Air America Raptor regulator. If you turn that top hex nut all the way out it shuts off the regulator. You should be able to fill it then without it leaking. Then you'll need to connect the remote to a marker with an input pressure gauge or a test gauge to adjust the pressure to what you need. That "blow off hole" you are referring too should only release air if you've tried to adjust the pressure over 1200 psi, or you have a bad body O ring.

If the reg hasn't been used in a while you may have to unscrew the top half of the body (after degassing the tank) and lube the body O ring.

Pm me your email address and I'll send you the operator's manual.

Last edited by nunrleft; 10-14-2007 at 06:46 PM.
nunrleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

PM sent, thank you
Old 10-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Manual sent.

I've got O ring sets for these if you need them. The bad part about them are parts are hard to come by. If you end up needing a new pin spring I think you'll be out of luck. As stated earlier, AAchopshop on ebay has O rings, seats and pins, but no springs and I haven't been able to find them in the past year. Because of this I've gone away from the Air America stuff, but still have a couple of tank regs, marker regs, and parts kits. Except for the springs
Old 10-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunrleft View Post
That is a Air America Raptor regulator. If you turn that top hex nut all the way out it shuts off the regulator. You should be able to fill it then without it leaking. Then you'll need to connect the remote to a marker with an input pressure gauge or a test gauge to adjust the pressure to what you need. That "blow off hole" you are referring too should only release air if you've tried to adjust the pressure over 1200 psi, or you have a bad body O ring.

If the reg hasn't been used in a while you may have to unscrew the top half of the body (after degassing the tank) and lube the body O ring.

Pm me your email address and I'll send you the operator's manual.
The o-ring on the body halves will leak between the body halves, not out of that hole. And it will not bleed off over 1200 psi, the piston safety does that, just like a Mags piston vents at 400psi or so. If you take the body halves apart (as you suggest) then the seat must be replaced for performance reasons. Don't separate the body halves unless its leaking from between the body halves (test with windex) or if the reg is creeping. The reg pin springs are not that important, all they do is help keep the reg pin centered. Dont worry about replacing them, but do make sure it is present. The hole he was talking about is on the top part of the body, and was a hole to degas the reg after the adjuster was turned almost all the way out, so it wouldnt shoot the spring pack and piston out.

FYI, I was an AA tourney tech........................
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

My misunderstanding then. So, if it's leaking out that hole, and you look at the number of threads exposed in his picture, it looks as if his adjustment is too far out (or low) and is thus leaking out of the bleed hole.

So before taking it apart, turn the adjuster in so that only 4 threads are exposed above the tournament lock. (that is where mine is at giving me an 800 psi output) Then try filling it again. If it still leaks you'll probably need to replace some O rings.

Better yet, try it with about 6 threads exposed. You have a thinner tourny lock.

Last edited by nunrleft; 10-14-2007 at 11:51 PM.
nunrleft is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts