mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
hth
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
GOG eNMEy hands down.
True fact, it's a nice mech for $130 brand new. It's my loaner marker.
hth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrracerAce View Post
It's like you're just asking people to type 'automag'.
Automag.

Seems you are looking for new and best vice just best/inexpensive.

Some considerations:

1. Who are the end users for these? Friends? Enemies? Newbs? Pros? Careful players? Idiots?
2. What is your price range? If you want eight of these, that can add up, depending.
3. How long do you want these to last?
4. Do you really need cocker threads for this application?

My top suggestions, with notes and caveats:

1. Older Tippy 98 or pro carbine.
Pros: Dollar for dollar, this is the hands-down winner. No one can reasonably deny this. They are brutally tough, work all the time, and can be had for a song. Parts a-plenty for all eternity. Even the post-BT 98s are plenty tough. I have one that has been a regular user/loaner that has not been maintained in over three years. Only the barrel has been cleaned, and the outside wiped down for pleasant handling. Many users, abusive treatment, all seasons, thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds, and nary a bobble. It's now just a matter of curiosity, and so will never get any attention until it fails. People complain about the build quality of the newer ones (and it is bad), but with a design this good, you could make it out of cardboard and it would still function. Also, the newer 98s have the anti-chop bolt system, which is effective.
Cons: None too efficient, some people don't like the name Tippmann for some reason. No cocker threads.

2. Spyder Rodeo.
Pros: Tough, functional, one of the 'good ones' made by Kingman, and can be had for a song, even more so than the Tippies. Get a whole fleet for less than the cost of two mags or EnMeys.
Cons: None too common, parts harder to find, ergo a risk, despite the low initial cost. No cocker threads.

3. Automag.
Pros: Still in business. Will run until the last day of the universe, and will then simply pop over to the other side and keep running. Regulated. Ease of maintenance. Plenty of parts, as though they were needed. There is a reason these are/were often used for rental fleets. You noted internal rust, but there is absolutely no need to dunk them. Just wipe off. And even if they do get rusty inside, they still work. My first mag was played hard and put away wet for a full decade. Literally. Came in the mail completely rusted and vile inside. Was furious. Then for the sake of curiosity gave a quick wipe down, and she gassed up and ran flawlessly. Three months on a mud-soaked shelf is nothing for these things.
Cons: Heavy for weaklings. Still pricey relative to the above. A new EnMey can be had for the price of a good condition basic used mag. Learning curve on the trigger. Some users just can't shoot them without chopping, and thus don't like them. No cocker threads, unless you shell out more money.

4. Gog EnMey.
Pros: Seems like a well-thought-out and well-executed mechanical update of the Ion, crossed with many of the best features of the automag. Unbelievable bang for the buck brand new. Quiet, light, efficient, fast, user-friendly. Cocker threads. EDIT: Oopsy! (Thanks, Spider!)
Cons: EDIT: No cocker threads. New. Still not enough time to get solid feedback in terms of long-term reliability and quality. Plastic construction, so cannot be as durable as the three above. Also, owing to novelty, prices have not yet dropped, so you are looking at a chunk of money for a fleet of these. Finally, bears the stamp of the Gardeners, hence purchase of these funds the most justifiably infamous name in paintball.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Menace; 10-07-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

End users are kids and friends.
Want these to last forever and have spare parts available. If I ever decide I am done with em can always sell em to a local field for rentals etc.

Budget is not so tight that I can't afford a 150$ gun instead of a 100$ gun just want it to be worth the money.

Automag fans you crack me up. Seriously people I have done my due mag diligence! Look at my avatar! When I got into paintball enough to find this forum I was so stoked about a classic mag build I used it as my avatar! I have had and maintained more of those (as loaners and otherwise) to know better. Yes they are great if you can get them tuned and all that but a stock mag compared to a stock 98 I really don't think you are going to do as well.

Want to hear more about the new guns. Current stuff. More like "am replacing my 98's with the FT" Thank you for chiming in.
matteusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
GOG eNMEy hands down.
agreed. ridiculously easy to maintain just swab out any broken paint (not like you'll have much with it's antichop performance) lightly grease the orings on the bolt and the bolt stop and then replace and off you go. Once the regs break in they are very consistent as well. Barring that I'd say the platinum series 98's would be another great option. Last but not least just throwing this out there but had you considered Azodin Kaos semis?

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

OP,

Didn't note your avvy. You can't be a fan if you aren't enthused.

Also, to your reservations, as noted, I also have reservations about mags as rentals. They aren't for everyone, and a rental first and foremost needs to be a marker for everyone.

Besides, it sounds like you already have something in mind. If you want tried and tested, get a 98 or BT. But since you already seem geared toward 'newer and improved', get a Tippy FT-12 or a BT Slice or Gog EnMey. Tippy/BT will most likely last longer, and the world will never run out of parts, but who really knows for sure?

Or . . . wait for it . . .

. . . get some of each of the top contenders and go with that. All of these are in the same price range, it isn't like you will have an end of parts, you'll find out which is the top contender in the end, and this will also give you and your friends some variety out there on the field.

Again, good luck and keep us posted.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Another thought (and if you'd said no to this along the way, sorry I missed it)- Trilogy Autocockers. I have one as my main loaner and it's as trouble-free as any STBB. I chronoed it exactly once when I got it years ago and it's never wavered. You can gather them fairly cheaply off Ebay and though WGP isn't around anymore, parts are abundant. Plus the user gets to think that they're using a fancy pro gun.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Cockers are out of the question. Although they have that back block mojo I don't think they can take the abuse and I don't want to learn to time them!

I want to have all the same gun same tanks and same paint. Leaves the rest up to the players!

I don't have a set opinion on what to get am looking for more info from you good peoples. Especially those that have or have had a rental fleet.
matteusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteusz View Post
Cockers are out of the question. Although they have that back block mojo I don't think they can take the abuse and I don't want to learn to time them!

I want to have all the same gun same tanks and same paint. Leaves the rest up to the players!

I don't have a set opinion on what to get am looking for more info from you good peoples. Especially those that have or have had a rental fleet.
just so you know you never have to time a trilogy. It comes pre timed from the factory and you can't adjust anything really. they are throw a tank and hopper on and go play. With that said I can think of markers that are far less work to clean (just from not having external hosing) My vote is for a GoG eNMEy fleet or possibly a mix of Tippman and GoG products. Though if you want to stay all one gun a big thing that should factor in is what is weather like in your area and how likely are the guns to be submerged in water, dropped in mud etc.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
just so you know you never have to time a trilogy. It comes pre timed from the factory and you can't adjust anything really. they are throw a tank and hopper on and go play. With that said I can think of markers that are far less work to clean (just from not having external hosing)
That's what I was getting at- they're pretty much foolproof. A local woods field used them as their main rental fleet for years. But yeah, not as simple to clean with the hoses on the front but you can hose them off if you're careful not to get water in the bottom tube.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxkid2005 View Post
The biggest fail point I've seen with the FT-12 is the pivot point at the back of the marker. One side of the hinge will snap off the body leaving the whole marker kinda useless until you get a new body to replace the broken half.
How did you break the hinge? I'm pretty sure your rep would replace them if you called them about it.

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.
Tugboater203 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts