mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #31 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboater203 View Post
How did you break the hinge? I'm pretty sure your rep would replace them if you called them about it.
This is the fun part. I work at a Canadian distributor, so we just see the end result, no idea how it happens. I have seen a few of them with the same problems though, so it does leave me to believe that it is common.. That is the good thing with Tippmann, they will sort you out. It just sucks to have a complete marker down because of a cracked body.

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

This is part of the original concern about newer stuff.

People always think that newer is more better, without considering that lots of times, newer is more worser.

There are old Pro/Ams, Prolites, and Pro Carbines out there with hundreds of thousands of rounds through them and still going strong.

It just seems odd to want something new when you are certain what these older things can actually do.

"Well, these new ones OUGHT to last a long time."

Yes, but these old ones HAVE ALREADY lasted a long time, and will continue to last just as long as the new ones with the same maintenance schedule.

Case in point. Our local field has a massive fleet of Tippies, as well as Ions. Tippies are a mix of mostly 98s with some carbines and prolites. I have to tech rental markers in the field nearly every time we are out, usually for dumb things like a forgotten ball latch or everyone's favorite, i.e., some newb found neato gigantic Jello-brand gelatin paintballs and wanted to put them in the hopper, etc.

The 98s rarely go down for serious mechanical reasons, and I don't recall ever seeing the carbines or prolites go down for anything. Obviously they do from time to time, but it is a testament to the design that they are still up and running strong, week after week, year after year, decade after decade, alongside the newer markers.

For all their good qualities and early praise, I seriously doubt a Gog marker could ever endure all the gratuitous misery renters can dish out for nearly as long as the Tippies can take it.

Ergo my recommendation to go with the older stuff, particularly since it is so much cheaper.

But I understand wanting to try something different, so go for it.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Chalk me up as another person who think's you're selling Automags short too soon. However, full disclosure...

I maintain a small rental fleet, and we use Tippmann/US Alpha Black markers. Why? Because we got a good deal on them. They are virtually bullet proof, just like ANY 98 clone. (Look at the Valken SW-1, BT-4, anything US Army). The painful thing about them is that if you really need to break them down to clean out mud/sand, there's a lot of screws.

I WISH I could trade my 20 Alpha Blacks for 20 classic Automags. On a classic mag there's really not much to "tune". Just use a L7 bolt. And teardown/cleaning is so much easier.

If my .org could have afforded it, I'd have searched and built a fleet of classic mags, even buying used. I would have had to snag them for about $50 each, though, which is quite a bit below market, even used. On the flip side, when you're done you can get basically every penny back out of them.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #34 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

old is cool too. Gathering seems like a pain but I just found a VM 68 on ebay. Put a bunch of those together and we could cut wood and play paintball with the same tools!
matteusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #35 (permalink)

Another vote for one of the MANY Tippmann inline blowbacks.

I have purchased my pro carbine new 15 years ago. It's seen a TON of use for everything. It's been loaned out to friends it's been beaten buried soaked dropped and lol even sat on by my fat rear. And despite it all it still looks and shoots great. (Grips are toast and screws are rusty but other wise it looks good).

98s have mostly continued on that reliability track. And if I were running my own field (love to some day). It be the marker I'd choose to run as well.

That being said I rly wish Tippmann could bring back the old Carbine series guns. They truly were I think the best blowbacks made. Here's mine after it's 15 years of abuse.

Last edited by TinyBear; 10-08-2013 at 01:00 AM.
TinyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #36 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

If this is a non commercial field, have you considered .50 cal? Cheap guns and paint plus your air will go a bit further.

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.
Tugboater203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #37 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteusz View Post
old is cool too. Gathering seems like a pain but I just found a VM 68 on ebay. Put a bunch of those together and we could cut wood and play paintball with the same tools!
The VM is a venerable, fun old beast, and at one time was a staple of rental fleets everywhere because it is the Iron Monger to the Automag's Iron Man. But alas, parts are exceedingly difficult to come by in numbers. Best to steer clear, unless you want to keep just one or so for fun.

I also concur with Justus on the mags' reliability, ease of maintenance, and value retention. Tippies can't touch them for any of these. Also, mags don't blow raspberries on the field, ever, which is a nice touch of class in an otherwise vulgar world of rentals.

Also like Justus am baffled by the concept of 'tuning' a Level 7 classic mag, as there is nothing to tune. Perhaps you meant the L10?

However, mags are not as ubiquitous, user friendly, and idiot-proof as the Tippies, and of course not as inexpensive, and Tippy parts will be around forever.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #38 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

There are two main drawbacks with the Automag as a rental:
Twistlock barrels. For some reason people just cannot seem to understand these and are always twisting them out of place and wondering why their gun won't feed. There are rental twistlock assemblies which don't allow the barrel to be turned without removing the trigger frame.
Elbows. This one can really be solved by buying a few APP atomic elbows or similar invincible elbow.

Despite these drawbacks, there is no better rental marker period and are much cheaper than investing in new BTs/Tippmanns.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #39 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
How did you break the hinge? I'm pretty sure your rep would replace them if you called them about it.
We only had one to try out and that's what broke on ours as well.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #40 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
If this is a non commercial field, have you considered .50 cal? Cheap guns and paint plus your air will go a bit further.
I agree...once there is a truly reliable simple 50 cal marker available. That point hasn't come yet. Hopefully soon.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts