mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
WalkWithoutRhythm

Coming back to paintball... again, questions about accuracy.

I played paintball for years back in the late 90's, stopped in the early 00's, then tried coming back a couple years ago but only really managed to go out and play twice.

Now I'd like to try again but I'd like to do a bit of research before buying a marker (already have a good mask).

I know there were a TON of psuedo-accuracy boosters back in the day, venturi bolts, backspin barrels, sizers of every shape and form... but from first hand experience and experience from friends most of them were "misses". Backspin bolts and barrels were okay for increasing range but accuracy seemed to suffer.

So I'd like a hard physics lesson about what ACTUALLY makes a difference in accuracy.

I know that one of the most important things is ball to ball consistency, so higher end paintballs are important, and I believe the other major thing is that the air shot to shot in the marker is obviously going to be a big factor. Other then that, how much exactly do barrels and sizers make a difference?

I came to MCB because it was more my style, I like low ROF (pumps and pistols), and shot to shot accuracy is a lot more important with that type of play so I want to find a marker (or markers) that will suit my needs in that way.

I used a phantom years ago and I liked it, but I would love to hear about newer technology that has enabled markers to be a bit more ball on ball accurate.

All advice is welcome!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Good paint with a good paint to bore match... Best thing you can do

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

shoot an autococker thay are the most accurate

j/k what he said ^^^^^^^
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Also, check out the first strike rounds in the Armory section for some good reading...

First Strike Forum
Old 10-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
20 inch sniper barrel..............

OK maybe what nofxkid2005 said sounds better lol

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
WalkWithoutRhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxkid2005 View Post
Good paint with a good paint to bore match... Best thing you can do
The air volume shot to shot doesn't make a difference?

Basically I'm wondering if any of the newer valves/"drivetrains" has made a difference.

I thought the phantom was a great marker, but using a set of springs with a weighted hammer to open a valve seems so archaic for trying to keep consistent numbers. Just wondering if that really makes a difference and if any markers have shown a noticeable difference.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
WalkWithoutRhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusskiX View Post
Also, check out the first strike rounds in the Armory section for some good reading...

First Strike Forum
I guess I need to, I thought they were the same kind of gimmick as all the others, but apparently people are having really good luck with them.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
The air volume shot to shot doesn't make a difference?

Basically I'm wondering if any of the newer valves/"drivetrains" has made a difference.

I thought the phantom was a great marker, but using a set of springs with a weighted hammer to open a valve seems so archaic for trying to keep consistent numbers. Just wondering if that really makes a difference and if any markers have shown a noticeable difference.
Air volume has way more to do with efficiency then accuracy. Consistency does play a good roll in accuracy, if your marker is consistent, you have a better idea of where it should be shooting.

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aces and eights

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
Someone else will have to point you to the right spot, but there's an article thread here about how the Nelson valve train actually self-regulates surprisingly well for its simplicity.

Edit.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
While build quality, precision, and consistency of your gun will help improve your accuracy, paint quality and your interaction with the gun will have far more of an effect than all other factors combined

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932

Last edited by Chappy; 10-07-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts