mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to komodo Send a message via Yahoo to komodo

Odd CO2 tank problem

Last game, my freind airs up his 98 with a new 20oz (had been using a smaller tank before). His 98 is only shooting 140-200. After much frustration, taking the gun apart, tweaking things, and missing out on half of the day of playing, nothing works. Finally, I air it up with my 20oz Ive had for awhile. He chrono's the gun, it shoots 340, and he fixes it to legal limits. He then airs it back up with the 20oz, and it begins shooting super low again.

Now, I dont know a whole lot about CO2 tanks, but, what could be causing this problem? Even if his valve wasnt letting enough air out, after being charged up, wouldnt enough air finally escape to give it as much pressure as any other tank? Both tanks were freshly filled. In fact, I think mine, the one it worked with, was about a quarter empty.

Her tried the tank with his old Raptor too, same problem.

Can anyone help as to why its doing that? If so, how could one go about fixing it? The "airsmiths" in my area are rather...silly, for lack of a better word. If the valve is screwed up and needs fixed, who here could he send it to to get it fixed? And possibly while we're at it, set him up with an anti-siphon in it.

Thanks.

...especially those llamas that associate with asssfruit, I mean, bananas.
komodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've had similar problems with old tanks. I just had the local shop replace the valve and didn't even try to fix the old one. I'm afraid shipping two ways plus valve would cost the same as just buying a new tank.
PaintedRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to komodo Send a message via Yahoo to komodo

Meh...

Maybe Ill give him my 20oz, take his old one, then do whatever with that one. I still have a few other tanks to use for semi...

...especially those llamas that associate with asssfruit, I mean, bananas.
komodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Also look at both of the pin valve pins. See if one is longer than the other, if the one you are having trouble with is longer it might be pressing down too far and closing the valve when it bottoms out. You can correct this by (a) replacing the valve or (b) file down the pin. If you chose b. turn the tank upside down (when you file it) and then vent(away from you) some Co2 to clear any shavings from the valve or it will mess up either your gun or the tank valve. You will need to be very careful or you will mess up the valve. I would recomend taking it to a qulified tech to prevent damage to yourself or the gun! In other words you do this and damage yourself or your gun don't blame me!!

My FS Listing
Misc bits-

My feed back:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1021

Carter's Commando Texas Division:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-division.html
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Huh... weird problem. Not worth looking into.

My solution: buy a few new tanks.

They are only $15 at actionvilliage. Everytime I order something from there I throw on a 12 or 20 oz. just for loaners/backups.

I never wait for fills at a field anymore... I just bring a bunch of full tanks and switch 'em out. Refill at home.

Buying a new tank is probably just as economical as having an airsmith work on it. Also many times more economical to buy new ones than hydroing CO2 tanks also.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
No longer a RAP4 dealer

Send a message via AIM to Rap4paintball

Fan of EMR
If the stem is too long, dont risk filing it down, Just throw an oring in the asa before you screw in your tank. Thank will keep the tank from screwing in so far. Total cost, $.10-$.25

My Feedback
Rap4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rap4paintball
If the stem is too long, dont risk filing it down, Just throw an oring in the asa before you screw in your tank. Thank will keep the tank from screwing in so far. Total cost, $.10-$.25
excellent idea
Canadian Contingent Member
abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Anytime I had that problem I unscrewed the tank 1/2 a turn or so and see if it made it better. If it did its too long, if it made it worse, the pin depressor is too small for the tanks valve.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts