mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

the learning curve isnt that bad, atleast i didnt think so. if all else fails buy an open class breach as well with a 50 round hopper

i generally go through 100 - 250 rounds in a 5 hour period

i play modified stock class, with a 13cu inch tank.

i run a shotgun shell holder that slips onto the buttstock, i wear it on my wrist, along with a fanny pack for dumping.

only take the shots you know you can make

with phantoms and other nelsons try not to shoot from prone as its kind of a pain in the rear to rock and cock while on you belly
Old 11-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Like others have said, you need to figure out your rig. Think about how you play, where you want your tubes, how many you think you'll need, and where you'll carry your 12ies. I think all of us have gone through several iterations of our rigs to get what we like. Mine is still evolving but that's half the fun of it. I ditched the dump pouch and use the cargo pockets on my bdu pants. I normally just run with one WTF gauntlet for rec play and its the perfect setup for me.

For playing, you really need to focus on movement. You can take on electros head-to-head but its tough going at first for sure. Plan on moving and shooting at flanks of players before you get confident in snap shooting. My advice would be to hit the field on your first day running stock class expecting to get shot out every game with zero eliminations for yourself. Set your expectations low and you'll lessen your chances of getting discouraged and giving it up. Remember this is supposed to be about fun! Don't worry about getting out, just enjoy playing with light and fast. Consider this your right of passage to the ranks of the stock class Jedi.

For better odds of success, use your semi toting brethren as cover for your advance. Let them dump cases into bunkers while you maneuver for shots. As said above, people don't seem to notice those single shots. I've missed shots three times in a row before and my target never knew I was shooting at them until I hit with the fourth.

The most important thing in my opinion is to practice shooting. Shoot your gun over and over again to get familiar with it and how it shoots. Knowing where the shots will go with consistency is key to your accuracy which is one of the deadliest weapons in the stock class player's arsenal. I start out shooting trees in my back yard, then trying to shoot the spots where the shots broke. Then I move to further trees and smaller branches to do the same. Try to do this while snap shooting too. You'll also learn when you are running out of air by the sound your gun makes and you'll know about how many shots you will get before you need to change.

One more thing...always make sure you have paint and air before making a move!

Have fun!!!
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
It is definitely a bit of a challenge to switch, but that makes it fun. It makes you work on your communication, teamwork, and punishes your bad form like crazy.

I like a capless harness and a large mag dump pouch to put tubes in.

If you are really dedicated to trying 12 gram play I would check out a dropout valve. They are pretty slick.

I tend to take every shot I might land and I shoot less than a bag for a full days play while shooting stock.

Old PBN Feedback
hellion360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Old school from way back!

It's like Jebs and Stilgar, you'll find what you like. I know after playing S/C all summer I've learned the best set up for me is a Joy Ride running capped upside down, a Ronin Wrist harness for 12'ies and a dump pouch. I tried the Ronin SC Harness but I didn't like the whole chest thing (my preference) but if you have some SC players in you area ask them if you can borrow some extra equipment to give it a try.
Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 4 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantom for SC and 2 Spyder's plus a bunch of extra parts.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowagonman View Post
It's like Jebs and Stilgar, you'll find what you like. I know after playing S/C all summer I've learned the best set up for me is a Joy Ride running capped upside down, a Ronin Wrist harness for 12'ies and a dump pouch. I tried the Ronin SC Harness but I didn't like the whole chest thing (my preference) but if you have some SC players in you area ask them if you can borrow some extra equipment to give it a try.
I've never seen a pump player in my area. Seems like no one wants to use them

I found a belt pouch I had for shotgun shells, it has 10 loops so I'm thinking of using that to start with
DranDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Old school from way back!

That's a good start. You'll figure out the rest as you go.
Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 4 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantom for SC and 2 Spyder's plus a bunch of extra parts.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

I figure I can put 12s in the the top 5 and 10 round tubes in the bottom loops
DranDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Paint Dribbler

Depending on how your field plays and gives breaks between games, make sure to have extra 10 round tubes ready to go if you're using a small set up. Too many times have I missed a game because I was cleaning, adjusting and refilling my only tubes I had. It sucks going out without at least one more 12g and four tubes.

Have fun!

spikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rec Poster

What do you guys mean by capless?

my feedback
shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Using a harness that holds the tubes in a way that they do not require a lid if any kind. This lets you just pull a tube reload and not fuss with opening the tubes first.

Spike makes a good point too. You may not need many tubes on the field but it sur is nice to have loaded ones ready in the staging area.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts