mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Stock Class

I am looking into a phantom and I am wondering how much of a learning curve there will be coming from a semi. I won't be using the phantom for scenarios, mainly for weekend play especially when there is a lot of renters. I know I want a vertical (not back bottle) 12 gram changer, my biggest reason in getting a phantom is to stop shooting a case of paint every time I play. I know it varies but if people would share paint usage and how much of a learning curve there might be for me
DranDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Paint usage depends on you bro. I shoot sometimes 100 shots in 8 hours or 800 in 8 hours of play lol. It's up to you. Normally it's like 200ish a day max.

Learning curve wasn't hard for me. Just pick your shots instead of relying on a wall of paint.

More importantly, have fun.

The biggest thing for stock class IMHO is your setup.
How do you carry your paint? 10 round tubes? Capped vs capless? Hand loading? Single loading lol?
Where do you carry them? How many?

It's all the small things that I found important. The rest was just paintball. Point and shoot more or less right?

Hope that helps. All the best.
Feedback
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
Paint usage depends on you bro. I shoot sometimes 100 shots in 8 hours or 800 in 8 hours of play lol. It's up to you. Normally it's like 200ish a day max.

Learning curve wasn't hard for me. Just pick your shots instead of relying on a wall of paint.

More importantly, have fun.

The biggest thing for stock class IMHO is your setup.
How do you carry your paint? 10 round tubes? Capped vs capless? Hand loading? Single loading lol?
Where do you carry them? How many?

It's all the small things that I found important. The rest was just paintball. Point and shoot more or less right?

Hope that helps. All the best.
It did thank you. I've got 5 tubes lying around with the caps tethered to them. I'm thinking just a shotgun shell belt to hold them and I'll see what works for me, I'm in my off season now so this is when I buy my new gear if I need any
Old 11-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
It took a long while for me to decide I wanted a Chest Rig, holds 18 tubes plus 5grams, it isn't in the way when I'm crawling on my gut lol, and it is a handy spot for reloading. Just need to figure out where my dump pouch will end up - and I'm running capless now.
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
It took a long while for me to decide I wanted a Chest Rig, holds 18 tubes plus 5grams, it isn't in the way when I'm crawling on my gut lol, and it is a handy spot for reloading. Just need to figure out where my dump pouch will end up - and I'm running capless now.
I have seen those,but I like to run light and be able to move freely. I'm really just looking around on forums like this and eBay to see if I can get a good deal on one. I'm starting to buy on here and I'm sure if I look hard enough I'll find something.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
It is actually really light - plus it is very configurable - I'll have to take a picture. If I'm playing quick games, I use a wrist harness - holds 5 10rds and any combination on 12g/10rd. I started with a Ronin Shotgun style belt/over the shoulder rig, then tried a belt style, then all sorts of different combinations until settling on what I run now. You will do the same, it's just figuring out what suites your playing style and load out. Stock Class is fun...really fun, which reminds me...I should play more of it hehe
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Our games are pretty quick. Usually 5-10 minutes then we flip sides and run it again

Last edited by DranDran; 11-23-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Yup. Start with something simple. You will eventually find a set up you like.

I run a chest rig or a joyride depending on my mood.

As for actual play, use your smaller profile to your advantage. Avoid heads up battles. If you can't hit some one in 5 shots from your current position, move.

Communicate with team mates, let them provide cover fire for you to make aggressive moves.

Practice with your marker so you are confidant you know where your paint will land.

My average paint usage was about 200 a day.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Snap shooting is your best friend!

Be sneaky, I rarely play the middle of the field, typically I take the right or left side, run the tape line. This reduces the area you have to watch, if you run the right boundary, you will take shots head on or from the left. I mostly play open class pump, typically usage is 400 rds for 6-8 hours of play.

Pick your shots, as soon as you shoot, you have given away your position...although most players ignore a single shot here or there, especially from a distance.

I would recommend the Joyride, run it capless w/ dump pouch. Once players realize you are shooting a stock class marker, they will be gunning for you, thinking you are an easy kill, take a few of them out and they will quickly back off. Going head to head with a good stock class player is challenging.

Personally, the jump from electro/mech to open class pump is not too bad. If you are playing with mostly renters, you will be fine with the phantom. The more you play with it the better you get!
Old 11-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Stock Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper97 View Post
Snap shooting is your best friend!

Be sneaky, I rarely play the middle of the field, typically I take the right or left side, run the tape line. This reduces the area you have to watch, if you run the right boundary, you will take shots head on or from the left. I mostly play open class pump, typically usage is 400 rds for 6-8 hours of play.

Pick your shots, as soon as you shoot, you have given away your position...although most players ignore a single shot here or there, especially from a distance.

I would recommend the Joyride, run it capless w/ dump pouch. Once players realize you are shooting a stock class marker, they will be gunning for you, thinking you are an easy kill, take a few of them out and they will quickly back off. Going head to head with a good stock class player is challenging.

Personally, the jump from electro/mech to open class pump is not too bad. If you are playing with mostly renters, you will be fine with the phantom. The more you play with it the better you get!
I tend to run "billy ball" mode on my sp1 blackheart so it kind of gives me the feel of a pump, but I feel the look of the marker tends to intimidate the new/younger players. That's one of the reasons among the I stated earlier, plus it will give me satisfaction if I can 1 ball the fields hose (8 pods in a 15 minute game) player

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts