mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013

Question I need some help...

Hey, I've been off the circuit for a few years, and last time I played I was a 15 year old with the cheapest gun/mask/gear I could possibly get. I have two questions:
I was looking to get back into it, and the first thing I'm trying to do is to get a clip-fed gun. I already have a deal with a local place to buy a new Spyder MR5 from factory with a discount. Anyways, he is clueless to clip-fed guns. Its description says that it can switch ammo feed from top feed to clip feed with turn of a barrel. Does it come with a special barrel to do this, or would I be able to swap out barrels with an aftermarket?
And I'm trying to get a new mask. My current is a cheap spyder stock model that has a crack though the middle of the lense. I do not wear glasses and have already read the mask guide posted on the forum. Still, does anyone have any recommendations on a mask? If its good enough, I have no money cap so all recommendations are welcome.
P.S. I accidentally put this in new player section as well. My bad.
XGA Your Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
.
 
The Inflicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGA Your Friend View Post
Hey, I've been off the circuit for a few years, and last time I played I was a 15 year old with the cheapest gun/mask/gear I could possibly get. I have two questions:
I was looking to get back into it, and the first thing I'm trying to do is to get a clip-fed gun. I already have a deal with a local place to buy a new Spyder MR5 from factory with a discount. Anyways, he is clueless to clip-fed guns. Its description says that it can switch ammo feed from top feed to clip feed with turn of a barrel. Does it come with a special barrel to do this, or would I be able to swap out barrels with an aftermarket?
The MR-5 does come with the barrel it needs to do this, which is not a standard Spyder-threaded barrel. (It's not threaded at all, actually).
There are a handful of aftermarket barrels available that fit the MR5/MRX, but to my knowledge they're all from Kingman themselves.

As to the MR5 itself, I've heard mixed reports, particularly as to its ability to feed First Strike rounds from the magazine without making expensive paint soup.

For more information you should probably check out the Kingman forum here: Kingman - mcarterbrown.com


Quote:
And I'm trying to get a new mask. My current is a cheap spyder stock model that has a crack though the middle of the lense.
At this point ANYTHING.
If the lens is cracked, its structural integrity is compromised, and you should assume that any paintball impact will be enough to shatter it and send lexan fragments directly into your eyes.

Quote:
I do not wear glasses and have already read the mask guide posted on the forum. Still, does anyone have any recommendations on a mask? If its good enough, I have no money cap so all recommendations are welcome.
If you don't have a pro-shop nearby where you can try on masks and see which one fits your face, it's hard to go wrong with the good old JT Spectra Thermal. The Spectra series has been the most popular mask design out there for nearly 20 years now, and while a lot of people prefer other masks, I've yet to meet someone who finds the Spectra uncomfortable to wear.

Quote:
P.S. I accidentally put this in new player section as well. My bad.

Last edited by The Inflicted; 12-23-2013 at 12:52 PM.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
sniper97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006

CCM Fan
Profilers for the mask....JT Spectra as mentioned above or good or Flex's.

IMHO, there are much better markers out there than Spyders.
__________________
Originally posted by heinous: "sniper's gun always gets extra camera love"
sniper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra
 
Falcon16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: St. Catharines Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper97 View Post
Profilers for the mask
This. I love my profilers they are amazing
__________________

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale





Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Jaccen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SW Ontario

AKA Fan
For glasses I've had the best luck with these masks:

-Vforce Profilers
-Empire/BT Helix/Avater/Event/Eflex

I switched to the Empire model simply because Vforce had a drought of thermal lenses for over a year a while back.
__________________
MCB Feedback
Please ship to me using US Postal Service when shipping to Canada.
Don't ship to Canada? No worries--I can work it out with you: US Parcel Pickup

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC