mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-01-2014, 01:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
First Mate

For Axe money, I would either get an SL8R or a Vice and pocket the rest.

ThickChestHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Panda with a Gun

CCM Fan
Axe shoots amazing. Like a 1400 dollar gun. Just ergonomics suck and the junk feedneck that likes the break

Etha and etek shoots like the price range but they feel nicer when holding

It is a matter of shooting guns until u find something u like while in ur price range. Way to many things
Old 01-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
They call me the Swede

As of late, what with the Axe, the difference is more bells and whistles than anything else. It seems at least.

The Etek and Ego, both the same marker. The biggest difference between them seems to be that the Ego has a LCD board, and the Etek uses different color LED's. Beyond that, I am not sure what the other differences would be, other than maybe the colors available (Ego's have alot more colors), and that the LV1 has that semi gas through grip going on, whereas the Etek has the traditional macroline and collets.

The Axe is a pretty good platform that will perform much like a higher end marker, and beyond a G6R, is right there, I believe, with the $1200+ crowd. The G6R being a couple of hundred more, but you need a low pressure regulator (Not a big deal if you own a newer Ninja or Crossfire reg, only a slight deal if you own a Guerrilla Air reg), or a SLP reg for it.
Thor Gundersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Highest end guns I've shot are a Closer and a GEO 2.

I think what makes some of these guns more expensive is the amount of work put into the body and trigger and the quality of the electronics. But, when it comes down, the less expensive guns can perform just as well as a top of the line current year tournament gun. Really it comes down to your budget and personal preference.

The Closer was never reliable and the Geo 2 had horrible gas efficiency. I bought both to be my "serious" primary tournament guns. Now I am going back to my custom ion I built several years ago, which is reliable, efficient..

The Axe is an impressive gun, but I know of a lot of owners who strip screws really easily. I don't Iike the ergonomics of the fore grip.

The etha's shot seems really too loud and harsh to me.

Some guns seem way overpriced. Not sure how a Vanquish is priced @ $1500 new.

MCB Feedback

Last edited by sdawg; 01-01-2014 at 02:44 PM.
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Gundersen View Post
The Etek and Ego, both the same marker. The biggest difference between them seems to be that the Ego has a LCD board, and the Etek uses different color LED's. Beyond that, I am not sure what the other differences would be, other than maybe the colors available (Ego's have alot more colors), and that the LV1 has that semi gas through grip going on, whereas the Etek has the traditional macroline and collets.
There are numerous threads showing the difference between the Etek and Ego...they are NOT the same marker. There are a lot of very meaningful difference between them - read up on them please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Eclipse_Ego

Last edited by ThickChestHair; 01-01-2014 at 02:40 PM.
ThickChestHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well I've had a ton of low ends and even more high ends and you absolutely do not have to spend any more than 300 to 500$ on a new gun to be competitive. there are some differences but in noway is a lv1 or vanquish worth a thousand plus dollars more over a mid level gun like say an axe,etha or even a mini.the paintball gun fancey really comes down to want and how much cash you don't mind throwing at a gun that shoots paintballs.Now if your wanting to go pro player I wouldn't suggest a custom98 or say any other sub 200$ marker there are some limitations on going cheap VS competitive edge. :-) I've come to love mags and custom pumps over anything and do quite well vs the electro weilders on the fields.:-)
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
OLD MAN

CCM Fan
You ask a good questions....

I have an AXE with a few upgrades, it shoots great and is very reliable.

The AXE is a very good platform, it has a lot of goodness to it, with a few upgrades it shoots even better; quieter, more efficient, smoother and more consistent. The upgrades I have are a new feed-neck, Boss Bolt & Spring kit, Critical Axiom Trigger and a Deadlywind Fibur barrel. I consider all the upgrades make a big difference. At minimum it needs the feed-neck, Delrin bolt and an under-bore barrel. It still is not a high-end as the board, fit and finish is not up to the same level as the true high-ends.

The other great option is a DYE DM-12. A very high-end marker, no upgrades needed. When they were introduced $1300, ANS now has them for $700 - $800 depending on the color. These markers were among the best when they were introduced and quite a bargain with a $500-$600 discount.

Now the question you asked, what is the difference between a mid-end and high-end:
Reliability
Efficiency
Smoothness
Quietness
Ability to use brittle paint
Programing ease
Programing Options
Weight
Feel
Finish
Service
Toughness

While the AXE is a Mid-end, it is really more of a stripped-down high end ...Almost. The DYE is Real high-end....I have an AXE, for the money, I would get the DYE.

Good Luck!

My Pumps:
CCM T2 (x2), CCM Series 5 RF #20, CCM Series 5 (x3), CCM SS-25 (x2), WGP Karnivor Mid-Block Sniper, WGP Black Magic Sniper, WGP 2K RF Sniper, FreeFlow Lotus Sniper, Bob Long Black MVP, CCI Under-Cocking Phantom.
David A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
My advice:
Buy the gun that feels the best in your hands.

High-end gun on average have more time invested in R&D into the ergonomics (grip frame, front grip, grip surfaces, trigger pivot point). The electronics are easier to navigate and adjust for the end user and the fit and finish on the parts are alot better.

Out of all the offerings in the midrange electronic marker entries, I would buy either the PE Etha or the Empire Axe/Mini. They both have excellent warranties if something goes wrong and are backed by good companies. The Etha is a little easier to navigate in the settings. The Axe is easier for the user to maintain (don't need a wrench to split parts).

If I was you and I didn't mind buying an older used gun I would look at a Angel A1 Fly, BLAST Victory (with supercharged engine), older PE Ego/Geo, Cyborg, Droid, or Clone. I shy away from DMs because they have alot of moving orings. They are all great guns and will keep up in the PSP tournaments (if that is your thing)
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
They call me the Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickChestHair View Post
There are numerous threads showing the difference between the Etek and Ego...they are NOT the same marker. There are a lot of very meaningful difference between them - read up on them please.

Planet Eclipse Ego - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to try to get into an argument here, but that link is horrible for attempting to prove that the Ego and the Etek have meaningful differences. Using the most recent models of Ego (LV1) and Etek (4AM), the biggest differences are as follows:

LV1 has a LCD (OLED?) screen for the board, 4AM uses a LED light board.
LV1 has the SL4 reg, 4AM has the SL3 reg.
LV1 has a lever instead of a poppet, 4AM has the traditional poppet.
LV1 has the Cure 5 bolt, 4AM has the Cure 4 bolt.
Slightly different bodies and LPR's between them.
LV1 uses the AT gas system, 4AM uses the traditional macroline system.

Honestly, you are still looking at a stacked tube, open bolt marker, that uses the same Deftek feedneck, AC threaded barrels, and so on. The biggest, and actual meaningful difference, is the lever valve and the AT on the LV1. And perhaps the fact that the LV1 comes with a LCD screen instead of three different colored LED lights for programing and such.
Thor Gundersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

I didn't realize until now how weird the LV1's valve design is.

Has anyone (other than Eclipse themselves) verified that the LV1's weird valvestem cam does anything beneficial?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts