mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Gundersen View Post
Honestly, you are still looking at a stacked tube, open bolt marker, that uses the same Deftek feedneck, AC threaded barrels, and so on. The biggest, and actual meaningful difference, is the lever valve and the AT on the LV1. And perhaps the fact that the LV1 comes with a LCD screen instead of three different colored LED lights for programing and such.
You can believe what you want, but telling people who are asking for infomation that there is barely a difference between an Etek and an Ego is giving them false information.

ThickChestHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #22 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
I didn't realize until now how weird the LV1's valve design is.

Has anyone (other than Eclipse themselves) verified that the LV1's weird valvestem cam does anything beneficial?
Here is what that cam in the LV1 does:
The LV1's ram has a mechanical advantage when opening the valve, lowering your LPR pressure.
The Cam also opens the valve slower and smoother then the traditional ram/poppit design, creating a quieter sound signature compared to previous egos
All this together makes a different feel when the gun fires

Downside:
It is more temperamental in cold weather because of the lowered LPR pressure
Dry-firng an LV1 can damage the cam because the firing assembly needs a little bit of back pressure

I personally think that it is a stepforwards in PE's design with the Ego. Rather then shaving more weight out of the gun they actually redesigned the firing assembly.
I am happy when companies do actual innovation rather then smoke and mirrors
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
Tinkerer

I'm kind of surprised that nobody has brought up the law of diminishing returns here. There is a point where spending more money will return less of an improvement.

It's these marginal improvements that can make a difference when evenly matched, highly skilled players are playing against each other.

Comparing the Empire Axe with the Empire Vanquish, testing shows the Axe will get approximately 1,300 shots with a 68/4500 tank while the Vanquish yields about 200 more shots. In most situations, those extra 200 shots aren't going to make much difference but in a big tournament, that could be all the difference needed for a win.

I also find that most high end markers include barrel kits while mid-range markers usually only have the one.

feedback
ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Just remember this important lesson:

No one in the history of mankind has bought a Rolex because they wanted to know the time.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Just remember this important lesson:

No one in the history of mankind has bought a Rolex because they wanted to know the time.

This.

You buy a super high end gun because you can/want one for whatever reason.

You buy a mid-end, 3 year old , used ego because you want to hit other people with paintballs.
Matt Ribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
They call me the Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickChestHair View Post
You can believe what you want, but telling people who are asking for infomation that there is barely a difference between an Etek and an Ego is giving them false information.
Okay, so I guess that this is turning into an argument. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermitt View Post
Cart before the horse, Chief. An Etek is basically (not exactly, I know but i'm oversimplifying) a 2 year old Ego without the display on the board. Add the OLED board to an Etek 3 LT and you have yourself a brand-new Ego 10.
In my experience, and I'm not an expert (I just felt compelled to share), I found PE markers easy to maintain and use. I have my markers periodically serviced and maintained by PE-Certified techs and I have had zero problems with any PE markers I've owned or my friends have owned. Currently, my Ego 9 and my Etek 3 are in great order and work beautifully.
Good luck and be safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody124 View Post
milling, the board on the etek uses leds versus the lcd on the egos, cure 2 bolt comes with the ego. i think im missing something else. i have an etek and love it. getting ready to buy the star frame and tadao yakuza board for mine
(In the same thread there was mention about not being able to have QEV's on an Etek, but since they stopped putting QEV's in Ego's, that is a bit of a moot point.)

Etek 3 vs ego 08
Nothing in this thread really says how the Ego is better, beyond a difference between the solenoids (It is comparing an Etek 3 and an Ego8, and the Ego takes QEV's so there is mention about getting QEV diaphragms) and the use of LED's in the Etek and an LCD on the Ego.

So, I guess the ball is in your court?
Thor Gundersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
First Mate

In order to compare them properly, you have to take two from the same year. Comparing the Ego8 and the Etek3 is comparing two markers with a two year gap in between them.

Compare two models from the same year, then come to a conclusion with that comparison.

ThickChestHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #28 (permalink)
They call me the Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickChestHair View Post
In order to compare them properly, you have to take two from the same year. Comparing the Ego8 and the Etek3 is comparing two markers with a two year gap in between them.

Compare two models from the same year, then come to a conclusion with that comparison.
I have waited for you to back up your statement. I guess you aren't going to do so, so it is what it is.

Which, going back to the OP, I still stand that you can get one of the mid range markers, like an Axe, an Etek, an Etha, and so on, that will pretty much work out just as well for you, as the higher end stuff. As of late, the technology between the stuff that sells for up to $600 is pretty comparable to what others are buying for $1200+.
Thor Gundersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #29 (permalink)

Yeah a player with the 1300$ marker vs the player with a 600$ one will come down to skill and not the fact player 1 spent 700$ more.this is where the point of diminishing returns hits home.:-) there just is not a 700$ improvement over the other to make it a more competitive edge to spend more unless you are going for looks/milling/anno and such things.:-)
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
End of the day our sport 99% of the time is down to skill. Equipment is almost never the limiting factor. Case in point I can be just as effective on the field with a cheap $100 trilogy sniper as I can be with a $600 fully CCM'd Reflex with a CCM barrel kit on it. The advantage comes in with a far lighter pump stroke on the CCM kit and the fact the reflex is much lighter overall. Both will shoot just fine and eliminate people just fine but at the end of the day I will be far less tired running around with the reflex than with the trilogy due to the weight savings. But if I didn't own the reflex would I be able to still be competitive playing pump with the trilogy? Absolutely! Spending more in most cases doesn't net you tangible gains especially once you pass a given price point.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts