mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Midrange vs high end Electronic markers

So I want to budget for an electronic marker. Ive been playing speedball with my SL68 and some semi auto markers for years, with pretty good success I might add, and I figured I'd see what the buzz is all about with these whizz bang fancy electronic markers.

I've done a bit of google-fu and poked around here and couldn't find a good thread that clearly lays out the difference between what you generally get with a midrange electronic marker like an ion or an axe, and what you get with a high end one like a intimidator or a planet eclipse or a dm14.

Can anyone lay it out for me as to why I should drop, say, 1300 on a DM14, instead of roughly 100 on an ion? What do I get that makes it worth paying thirteen times as much? Even if it's something small, what makes the relatively ridiculous price tag worth it?

Thanks!

Edit: This is the kind of info I was hoping to get. I love it! Keep it coming. Everyone has an opinion and I'm interested in them all- I prefer to be overwhelmed with info on this sort of thing and sort through it to make an informed decision.

Last edited by UncleSlam; 01-03-2014 at 02:25 AM.
UncleSlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
aka Maggy Moo

High end guns get 2 things vs midlevel guns: First is build quality. I'm not sold on whether that does much, but it is there, and it is noticeable. Second, More features. Take an Ego for example; with the newest ego, you have the Cure bolt, the slightly offset feedneck for more consistant feeding, board has more options, etc. With an Axe, you get a pretty basic gun. Not that i's ad, just not a ton of options. And with Ion,s you run the risk of having to buy a ton of upgrades to basically make it playable.

WTT 16" Stiffi Switch Tip for a 12" or 14" Tip
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

There is less of a differeence then ever but you really need to look at the ability to shoot brittle paint. Outside of that the only difference will be quality and features.

Markers like the Axe/mini, and Ion handle it pretty well. But I have seen a lot of others in that range just break more paint when they should when using brittle paint. The Reflex Rail, Etek, and Etha immediatly come to mind.

I will say out of a lot of different guns I have shot this year I am really happy with my Lurker'd Axe so far.
No Have MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have over 200 guns,been playing since 1984...$$$ does not determine the quilty of a Marker,,,a $1500 Machine Vapor was a flop an rarely worked,,,Ive been on teams with full rides Ego's,Bob Long,Empire....My FAVORITE of all time has been the AXE,,you pick up click trigger an it goes Bang...Its like the AK47 of the paintgun word......

Master Blasters 2013 UWL PRO Champs Maryland
L.I Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
camocow200

Axe = best bang for your buck!

WTF,why would i trade for that?

Ebay, camocow200 (1001) + 100% positive
MCB 275 +

tedaut,Would this count as a socal stock gun ? Oh wait never mind , it would need a stick feed and auto trigger.
woouulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
Axe as far as a brand new gun goes is one of the best deals. You can get a used gun that is easier on the paint and depending on your opinions better for the same price. A nice dm11 sells for around $425 and I have seen many ego 09s and bl victories around $450. Even a couple of bl g6rs are at that pice too. It all depends on what you find to be ideal, poppet vs spool vs inline poppet etc.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
DonkeyPunchTheNightAway

Brass N Wood Fan
Buy a higher end pump and have fun. :P
But at the fields i goto most have an Axe. All the owners claim they feel right, shoot good, and never have issues. Then again I never shot one due to I dont like batteries (besides emags).
Acidpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

My axe leaked from the grip frame, and a detent fell out my first time using it. Other than that it works every time. I still prefer a reflex rail though.

The world is like an ice cream sunday.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I actually prefer the Planet Eclipse Etha to the Axe.

I think the Etha comes with a great barrel and regulator from Planet Eclipse and it shoots very well. Initially it sounds a bit sproingy when you shoot. But after a few cases it breaks in very nicely. They are super durable and have great support from PE and a warranty to match. Plus they are over $100 less retail price than the AXE.

But to address your original question I will use the example of an Etha and an LV1.
Both are from the same manufacturer, but there is over $1000 price difference between them. The LV1 is definitely better. It is smooth, quiet, precise, light and fast. But it just isn't 4X better than the Etha.

I always compare the guns to cars. A 16,000 dollar Civic gets you to your destination just as well as a 64,000 dollar car (4x the price). It just isn't as luxurious or refined. It is however a reliable well made car (gun) that will get you where you are going (eliminations).

The cost of guns has gone way down over the years. If an Etha had come out when I started playing it would have been a $1400 gun.

Old PBN Feedback

Last edited by hellion360; 12-31-2013 at 10:01 PM.
hellion360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellion360 View Post
I actually prefer the Planet Eclipse Etha to the Axe.

I think the Etha comes with a great barrel and regulator from Planet Eclipse and it shoots very well. Initially it sounds a bit sproingy when you shoot. But after a few cases it breaks in very nicely. They are super durable and have great support from PE and a warranty to match. Plus they are over $100 less retail price than the AXE.

Amen. I much prefer the Etha over any other "mid range" electro. I've had two and will probably pick up another some day. I want a Karni in the spring though. I've always wanted one and I'm not getting any younger.
canuckistani is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts