mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hydrodipung or anidizing?

I got a SS-25 that is taken apart.

Now is the idea to do some ano, but is hydrodipping also possible?

It got some benefits for the desings, but I don't know how it will keep up after a couple of playing times.

Anyone got experience with hydro?

Sorry for the typos in the header, didn't check them

Last edited by Spidey; 01-04-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just from what I've seen hydro is sweet and with the right scratch resistant clear can be fairly durable but it can and will wear.I would also make sure a reputable person does it.I would go a anno job if you plan on reselling to help keep value better.I do not know of a company that uses hydro dipping on their markers over anno currently. I can also say that powder coating is probably one of the tuffer finishes to stand up to real use.I have a friend that gets his antique tractors powder coated to be more durable over painted because he shows them and still uses them on the farm .I currently have a marker sent off to be powder coated now because I actually plan on using and abusing it once I get it back,that's something I wouldn't do to a custom anno or hydro job just to avoid scratching it up.Check out precision powder coating.:-) he has done some cool stuff already.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'll echo the statement above about precision powder coating. Dude does great work and my go to marker is the one below. It comes out every time I play. It's also been knocked out of my hands twice by my Rottweiler onto tiled floor. She gets excited what can I say. The finish is still mint. No marks or wear whatsoever as you can see.

Also, a big plus was precision's knowledge about what he's doing. I'd say if you're going to hydro dip a marker, make sure whoever does it knows paintball. I can't attest to its durability but I'll say I'm sold on this powder coating.

Best of luck good sir.

Feedback
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jam

I prefer Annodizing personally.

Ditto on the finding someone that knows paintball to do it.
Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

I strongly advise against powder or dipping. I've made that mistake before. They are the cheap way out. They are more fragile than ano and are prone to chipping. Plus, those are very thick coatings. You don't want them to accidently find their way into holes or breeches.
Additionally, in my opinion, coatings look like coatings. I prefer the look of ano.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
I strongly advise against powder or dipping. I've made that mistake before. They are the cheap way out. They are more fragile than ano and are prone to chipping. Plus, those are very thick coatings. You don't want them to accidently find their way into holes or breeches.
Additionally, in my opinion, coatings look like coatings. I prefer the look of ano.
I don't know about the "cheap way out" comment lol. The price of anodizing vs powder coating are similar if you are using reputable sources for both. Trust me, I did the research.

If you cheaped out and got crappy anodizing from someone who has no idea what they are doing, then yes it is prone to chipping.

They are different. Annodizing is a chemical reaction to the metal itself rather than a coat on top. It's important to note that when you scratch your anno, you are in fact scratching the metal itself. If I scratch a coat of powder coating, then it's the coat that scratched. I know everyone knows this and I am reiterating but for me this made sense and was important.

Both have the pros and cons, and desirable applications. Up for whomever to decide, but I think calling powder coating in general cheap is inaccurate.
Feedback
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can understand that the person has to know what he's doing. But why does he needs to understand paintball? This won't make hos work better in my opinion.

Hydrodipping has some cool desing that can hardly be matched by ano, especially by price.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I can understand that the person has to know what he's doing. But why does he needs to understand paintball? This won't make hos work better in my opinion.

Hydrodipping has some cool desing that can hardly be matched by ano, especially by price.
Someone who doesn't do markers regularly may damage your marker and isn't likely to give you any recourse.

I have been told that hydrodipping lacks the durability of anodizing or powdercoating.
We have nothing to fear but fear itself. Apart from pain. And maybe humiliation and obviously death. And failure. But apart from fear, pain and humiliation, failure and the unknown and death we have nothing to fear but fear itself. Who’s with me?

-Arnold J. Rimmer
maloneoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

What damage can be done? The proces is the same as any other alumobject that is being ano'd or am I wrong?

I know some companies that do ano as a core buissiness but doesn't have anything with paintball.

Hydro won't last as long as ano, but I don't know how long they will last and how you can remove it when you are tired of it or when it's damaged.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pump Battle Rager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Hydro won't last as long as ano, but I don't know how long they will last and how you can remove it when you are tired of it or when it's damaged.
I would disagree, been playing with this two for the last 3 years with minimum tear or damage (post #19)
If done properly Hydro dipping will take some abuse to get damage.

Show off your woodsball anodizing (pics)

Just my 0.2

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
Just smooth and easy like a toothless hooker!

raptor69r is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts