mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Regluing Two-Piece Barrel (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/2501-regluing-two-piece-barrel.html)

Walrus 08-12-2006 09:41 PM

Regluing Two-Piece Barrel

I just bought an Evolution Minicocker and it came with a DYE two-piece barrel that matches the gun. It has a stainless steel back and a aluminum front that is glued to the back. Well after looking it all over I noticed that the front isn't exactly aligned with the back, so I twisted the font thinking it may be threaded. Unfortunately it wasn't threaded and I ended up removing the front from the back. I got it all cleaned up and ready to reglue, but I have one problem...what glue do I use to fix my barrel? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

B 08-12-2006 11:24 PM

First you will need to clean all traces of the glue/ epoxy off of both pieces to put the barrel back together first you will have to match it up ( make sure to park the position) then you will need to get a good epoxy. I suggest using a marine ones as it stands up better to liquids .

sniperfan 08-14-2006 01:10 AM

Well-
JBWeld would work. Quick-and-dirty you could use red locktite. Make sure that what ever you use it cant ooze into the bore. I would push the pieces together about 1/2" inch, then apply the magic goo. Carefully clean up any excess.

I splash anodized a bunch of Smartparts barrels back before the company wanted to, also to match exactly the splash anodizing I was doing to the rest of the gun. We used this technique to reassemble the barrels.

Walrus 08-14-2006 08:37 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I went to Lowes yesterday to find some epoxy or equivalent that would do the trick. I ended up with this stuff called "Goop" that will basically stick anything to anything else permanently and it is waterproof (you can use it on aquariums too). I figured it was worth a shot and tried it. As of 1:00pm today it will have been drying for 24 hours and should be about ready to go. Be on the lookout for the pics I will be posting soon of my new project :D

sniperfan 08-15-2006 09:49 PM

That'll work, but it'll take about 48 hours (at least) to cure since air will have a hard time getting to it so the solvent can evaporate. I use the industrial grade version "E-6000" all the time. It stays flexible for decades.

pwpaintball 08-16-2006 01:03 AM

I called DYE for a customer’s barrel that came apart, and they gave me an RMA# to send it back to be glued. It took about 2 weeks but came back good as new.
I don’t know how Dye glues there tips on but Smart Parts had a rod that align the tip and base to be concentric.

Walrus 08-16-2006 01:17 PM

So far it looks good. I don't have any air to put through any of my guns to try it, but I think it is fixed now. I appreciate all the help guys!