mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   bolt showing in breach (autococker) *PICS* (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/256102-bolt-showing-breach-autococker-%2Apics%2A.html)

sbullet 05-06-2014 12:56 AM

bolt showing in breach (autococker) *PICS*

Is this okay? Little bit of the bolt showing when cocked.

Aproximatelly a 1/4'' from the point where the gun cocks, and the full length the hammer can be pulled back.

http://i60.tinypic.com/25f6ky8.jpg

Nobody 05-06-2014 07:55 AM

too much. you want just the tip, like a 1/16th of an inch showing. you can always check buy putting in a ball and seeing if it will hang up.

timekeeper 05-06-2014 08:58 AM

If this is the halfblock jackal on PBN where someone's asking about the pump arm threading too short into the ram, then this is part of the issue. The halfblock is threaded too far onto the pump arm, ideally you want to have the marker cock about 1/8" before the bolt stops and have 1/16" showing in the breech, as nobody suggested.

I'd suggest you unscrew the block a turn or 2, that should make the bolt have the correct protrusion into the breech.

pbalien73 05-06-2014 10:50 AM

If I were you I would invest in a new correct length pump arm.

sbullet 05-06-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timekeeper (Post 2952823)
If this is the halfblock jackal on PBN where someone's asking about the pump arm threading too short into the ram, then this is part of the issue. The halfblock is threaded too far onto the pump arm, ideally you want to have the marker cock about 1/8" before the bolt stops and have 1/16" showing in the breech, as nobody suggested.

I'd suggest you unscrew the block a turn or 2, that should make the bolt have the correct protrusion into the breech.

I'll try unscrewing the sled a little more, it's barely haging on. Worked on it for a while and figured it all out myself, but I'm going to have to work on that bolt. Grr

sbullet 05-06-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalien73 (Post 2952882)
If I were you I would invest in a new correct length pump arm.

THIS completely!!! It's not me, it's just that this pump arm is too short, and there are no two ways about it.

I want to keep this AKA pump arm, but I guess I'll really have to get a different one.

What kind of pump arm should I look for? "Mini, half block pump arm"?

Vitalsilence 05-06-2014 06:13 PM

If this is a mid or half block the only way to change the cocking point is to make the slot in the hammer longer. Your pump arm length will no determine cocking point it will only determine stroke. If it is too short you 'll get slips and it won't cocking properly. It will also slam against the front of the body slot and cause damage to the body in mechanical and electros

Vitalsilence 05-06-2014 06:15 PM

Its a balance. And I 've found that the jcurt measurement guide doesn't allow for proper bolt clearance. It also makes for a stiff stroke too early in the stroke. Take jcurt measurements and add .125 or 1/8" also add about .025 to the body so you don't hit the slot on the back of your stroke.

Cunha 05-06-2014 06:16 PM

Vital is correct. The OP mentions that the gun looks like this with the hammer all the way back. You will need to slot the hammer deeper, so the sled can move further back before bottoming out the hammer on the IVG or whatever.

To confirm this you can just take the cocking rod off completely and then bring the sled back as far as it will go. If the bolt is still failing to clear the breech, then you need to slot the hammer deeper.

This is assuming the bolt and sled are made correctly in the first place. the bolt could just be too long.

Vitalsilence 05-06-2014 06:17 PM

Also ccm hammer slots are even longer you you have to add .25 or 1/4" to jcurt measurements