mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 06-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Looking for a nice spring guide ..

Anyone have a link to a nice spring guide for tuning a cocker for specific goals like

Efficiency
Low kick
Low pressure

Or any standard advice for switching springs heavier / lighter?

I'm a custom cockers guy but am just asking around. Thanks
sbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Efficiency: AKA kit or from any kit; the softest mainspring on as hard a valve spring as will allow 300 FPS with the IVG 2 turns in at the sweetspot.

Low kick: Softest mainspring and a large volume and/or high flowing LPR, using whichever valve spring will allow 300 FPS.

Low pressure: Softest valve spring with a soft/medium mainspring.

Quiet: there are 2 ways to go about this, the usual and most hassle free is to run a low pressure set up; low pressure air expanding into atmospheric air creates less of a pop than higher pressure air. The other, more labor intensive way, is matching the valve dwell to deliver just enough air so as to get the paint moving up to FPS in the unported part of the barrel and then letting the pressure go down as the air pulse makes it to the porting, in which case it'll be at a similar pressure as an over-dwelled low pressure pulse, making a similar noise.
timekeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Can't say I've seen a specific spring reference. The problem is there's way more at play than just the springs. (pre2k vs 2k, valve, hammer, bolt, reg...etc). There's also a lot of personal preference involved.

IMHO, "Low pressure" shouldn't be a goal. Lower pressure may be a result of some nice internals but in the end the gun runs at what the gun runs at. Higher goals should be consistency and efficiency which may or may not result in lower pressure.

I personally tune for consistency and sound (I hate a noisy / farty gun). On pumps but not so much on cockers it's also about smoothness / feel.

For springs, if you have stock internals I think the stock springs actually do pretty well. Might pick up a madman kit and try some of the combinations. I'd start with green / green or blue / blue which might be in the area of what you're looking for. Respring, sweetspot the reg and see how you like the setup.

As far as guides, moody did an ok one a while back
Welcome to Moody Paintball Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

GREAT info guys thanks so much... Here's some more detail on me:

I have a madman valve and just bought the full spring kit. I want quit and smooth. I just know that I have no idea on how to mess with that rocket valve (how it says to file and what not)

So, I have full nexus front end. It is mech half block. I'm going to try a light main spring and see what happens.

Last edited by sbullet; 06-11-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Does the rocket valve allow you to change the built in valve spring ?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Ohh... I've had several of those valves but always just pass them on as it's something I just didn't want to mess with. You don't want to change that spring I don't think.

I assume you're reading this?
Autococker Setup Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ya dude... I hope I just end up putting in a soft hammer spring, and I get exactly what I am looking for .

A new valve? Why the hell not, this gun is already being completely babied... $$$$

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts