mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 06-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

just get an old viewloader revolution (not the older viewloader vl2000), that uses two 9v batteries (they regulate down to the required 12v).

if you can't find one of those, the next best thing is a revolution with an x-board. the x-board corrected issues, particularly with transparent shells, where sunlight would interfere with the eyes. regardless, i would avoid transparent shells anyway as they are more brittle than the black shells.

speaking of which, they did make improvements to the shells post-be as noted, but it's difficult to tell by a visual as they look nearly identical unless you had them side-by-side.

bacci has one revvy in stock, and bpsimpson22 has one for sale as well, although it's priced too high.
Cyco-Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Future Robocop

Go for a 12Volt Revvy with an old style shell. Simple as that. You'll find them at or under $30 shipped and they'll last forever. Buy a new style shell and you'll be looking for replacement parts soon.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
I bought one of the new one's from Dick's. I used it for about 5 matches and now the "Low Battery" light comes on no matter how charged that batteries I stick in it are. I can't find any pinched wires or shorts. I have to find my spare bag o' Revvy to see if the boards pooched on it.

Before this snafu I was completely happy with it.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Supposedly the new Empire Revvys have gone back to the old plastic of the pre-BE Revolutions and VL-2000s before that.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
MilSim

Wow thanks for all the info guys. Can anyone confirm if the new ones have decent plastic? More than likely will get an x board just the versatility of being able to run on mechs and electros. Just getting more and more into old guns andy rotor just doesn't always look right. If anyone has some for sale post up your links
Paintball changed for me twice in my life, when a close friend introduced me to pump play and cockers and when I went from woodsball with Tippmanns to tournament ball with my Bob Long Rapper and AKA Viking on the UW-Stout Team. I'm a better player thanks to both occurrences.

MCB Feedback

Gearbag Sale
WholemealDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholemealDrop View Post
More than likely will get an x board just the versatility of being able to run on mechs and electros.
huh? there is nothing an x-board revvy does that a non x-board, 12v revvy can't do. i get about 12 bps out of either one. anyways, there's still the chance of having crappy plastic with a newer model.
Cyco-Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
MilSim

Always read and been told numerous times that an x board is the way to go but I don't know anything about the other boards
Paintball changed for me twice in my life, when a close friend introduced me to pump play and cockers and when I went from woodsball with Tippmanns to tournament ball with my Bob Long Rapper and AKA Viking on the UW-Stout Team. I'm a better player thanks to both occurrences.

MCB Feedback

Gearbag Sale
WholemealDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

As I heard it, the X-board was meant as a replacement for the "sun board", the defective replacement for the original Viewloader board that Brass Eagle started making after the acquisition. "Sun Boards" were never named as such, but came out when Brass Eagle started making the "gem series" loaders with brittle transparent plastics.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
The new ones have a great shell IMO. It's the tough, "matte" black plastic similar to the Rotors. Not the brittle, "shiny" plastic of the BE Revvy's. The shell is great--I just need to diagnose my electronics problem with it.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Oldbie

I have one of the old 12v revy's with the good shells and one thing to consider is the feedneck is massive (too large) in most of today's guns.

HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts