mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
Tubes with greater than 10 round capacity

Does anyone out there know of any longer tubes with the same diameter as 10 round tubes? I am thinking in either a15 round or 20 round capacity. I love running a cram and jam, but can see a benefit to a greater capacity for bigger games or when playing in the snake for pump tourneys. It would also allow me to run my phantom with a tube sticking out the back for speed reloads.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Native Not Asian!

Palmers Fan
awhile back another MCB'er and I were discussing making custom tubes out of brass.

you could have them any length you wanted and you could cut them for any number of caps and plugs.

I suppose if you did the tubes right you could use existing speed caps but i'd prefer a button of sorts.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
The only problem with a brass one is the cram and jam for my ccm. I would be afraid it would get stuck or gaul it up. I would ideally like the same material as a usual tube. Basically just in a longer design.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Native Not Asian!

Palmers Fan
I know its a stretch but you could contact the manufacturer to see if they would be willing to do a small batch of customs.

OR you could get ahold of a soda bottle making company, the initial process for 10 round tubes and 2 liter soda bottles are pretty much the same.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ballin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabaanimkii View Post

OR you could get ahold of a soda bottle making company, the initial process for 10 round tubes and 2 liter soda bottles are pretty much the same.
I thought 10 round tubes were 1-step extrusion/injection-blow molded. Soda bottles are a 2-step inject to create blanks then blow mold blanks at a later time. Totally different machines and processes. In either case I'm sure you'd have to front the cost of the mold/die if you could convince someone to do it. That would not be cheap.

Your best bet is to find extruded plastic tubing that matches the dimensions you want and hope is isn't obscenely expensive. If you get lucky you might be able to get end cuts on the cheap.
Jmorell818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Autocannibal

AKA Fan
You could just buy PVC tube or something, maybe like 20mm?

New PB Nation Feedback
Old PBNation Feedback
MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
Hey - we are not "Nation"
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
I happen to live in a town with a couple of plastics manufacturers so I may check with them to see if they know of anything. I know that ten round tubes were originally for laboratory/packaging so I was hoping someone knew of a longer one out there. The injection mold would be stupid simple, but the tooling for something like that runs around $3000 or so. I just don't think I would be able to sell an order of 3000 tubes at $1 and change for materials/labor a piece quickly. Definitely not at a profit with that small of an order.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

It really wouldn't be too hard to do with a little time and effort. You could model it off of an existing tube, just longer, and have somebody with the tools cut you the mold. Somebody on here would be able to do it for a lot less than $3k. Then make yourself a Gingery injection molder. There are 2 books, one is for a frame you make yourself, the other uses a drill press as the frame and you just do the injection part. Not really complicated actually.

Here is the style that uses the drill press. Not my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvJil9lilE0

Build a Plastic Injection Molding Attachment For a Drill Press

The best part is the materials are all around you. Plastic bottles; soda, detergent, milk/water jugs. Don't mix them, but the material is basically free. Detergent bottles would probably work the best, but clean the crap out of them because the concentrate stays around after only a quick rinse.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
That is quite awesome. Not sure I could get the enough pressure for the thin walls that the tubes would require, but that is a damn cool setup for solid parts! Thanks for sharing that.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

The mold would need a few air vents so you are only flowing material, not fighting with pressure as well. But with all things molding, there is trial and error. The guy noted that his first lure had issues from temperature errors. Those were changed later and life was good.

The best part is that you can re-cut and re-use the material until you get it figured out.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts