mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalforce View Post
I agree with this. You don't NEED to upgrade them at all, they shoot great out of the box. If you want to upgrade them, $30 for a Lurker Bolt and $30 for a Lurker Poppet isn't exactly an 'upgrade pit.' At their price point there really isn't anything better.

Another gun to look at is a JT Impulse. I personally am not a fan because the gun sounds like a canon but if you're looking at Etek's and older Ego's you're not getting around that. They shoot great and have really good efficiency. Better than some older Egos, not quite as good as their new ones. Comparable to an Ego11 imo
In regards to the Lurker parts....yeah, that's peanuts. But I strongly suggest anyone that purchases an Axe to instead spend their money on paint and using the marker first. Learn how it works and do a little oring tuning and you'll be golden if you even feel like doing anything. They are wonderful shooters and don't need a thing and as many guns as I currently own and have owned, I have no problem stating that the Axe is one of my all-time favorites.

Now for another marker I LOVE....the JT Impulse. I also own one and it's my main shooter....#1. I'm a big MacDev supporter and have owned Cyborgs for a decade now but the JT Impulse is better than they are, plain and simple--lighter, much more ergonomically-correct, extremely comfortable, super smooth, efficient, and absolutely trouble-free. As for sounding like a cannon--out of the box with the stock barrel, it was fairly loud but still quieter than my bud's Ego 11. With my Lurker .678 barrel and ~10 cases through it (along with a little minor tuning) it's actually slightly louder than my Axe. Not loud in the slightest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woouulf View Post
The JT Impulse is a nice lil marker and since they just dropped the price to 599.00 for a new one, a used one should be price in your budget.. Im still an AXE fan but the Impulse runs a close 2nd..
The Impulse was a killer buy @ $899. At $599 new and ~$400 used, it's unbeatable. People really don't understand just how good these things are. It's LV1-smooth, G6R-light, DM-comfortable and 12+ pods-efficient. Beat that for $600 new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntninja View Post
What I was saying is that 99% of people that own Axe's, they always find a way to upgrade it whether its via new internals, new frame, grip extender or Redline. I agree 100% that stock internals are the best and zero reason to upgrade anything on it but you may catch the itch to upgrade every last bit which is not necessary. Drones require zero upgrades to shoot awesome.
I totally agree with you and I've been doing my best to prove the theory that the Axe is a far better marker out of the box than it's given credit for. I actually just purchased a Nummech frame for it to continue this little experiment. I like it but don't love it but the jury is still out. I need to use the marker some more with it before I can come to a conclusion. But anyway....an Axe straight out of the box with a quality barrel is pure excellence. Feel free to make changes to fit your ergonomic or user preferences (frame, extender, Redline, feedneck, etc.) but internally, there's really no reason to change a thing unless you really enjoy spending time tuning instead of playing.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ebay, camocow200

Quote:
What I was saying is that 99% of people that own Axe's, they always find a way to upgrade it whether its via new internals, new frame, grip extender or Redline. I agree 100% that stock internals are the best and zero reason to upgrade anything on it but you may catch the itch to upgrade every last bit which is not necessary. Drones require zero upgrades to shoot awesome.
But what upgrades are available for the Drones? I really dont know..
Quad mod
Trigger
Gold bolt

WTF,why would i trade for that?

Ebay, camocow200 (1200) + 100% positive feedback
MCB 290 pos feedback

"Mar" bro: welcome to the forum, super nice marker - hopeful for your sale.
"stargazer" It's ma'am actually, not bro.

Last edited by woouulf; 08-26-2014 at 02:32 PM.
woouulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Quad mod
Trigger
Gold bolt
Exactly. Axes have so many upgrades because they sold 10 billion of them, there's a huge market for upgrades. The Drone is a much smaller market marker.

The Axe shoots great out of the box and the upgrades let you add a bit of personality to it and play around, nothing wrong with that.

My Feedback!
ajohnson677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Quad mod
Trigger
Gold bolt
That's my point. There a very little upgrades for it. Yes, they have a smaller market but at the same time they really don't require any upgrades at all to perform or outperform markers in a similar price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
That's my point. There a very little upgrades for it. Yes, they have a smaller market but at the same time they really don't require any upgrades at all to perform or outperform markers in a similar price point.
I've played a few games with a Drone that I worked on at my local field. It's a nice, simple marker and it shoots well. One can replace the stock trigger with a Violent trigger if they desire....you could replace the regulator with anything that uses standard threads, although I'm not sure why you would. One could use a different barrel. There's plenty of stuff you can do to about any marker. No, the Drone doesn't need anything. Neither does the Axe. It's all preference. My personal Axe is considerably more efficient than the Drone was. My Axe is also smoother, quieter and feels nicer to me. Drones are nice markers but they certainly don't take dumps on a well-setup Axe. That's not saying the Drone isn't a smooth, quiet marker because it most certainly is compared to something like the Etek 4. Axes are smoother and quieter than just about anything else around so that's not a knock on the Drone.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
First Mate

I know it isn't one of the three that you listed, but I will give the same answer that I always do: Get a Bob Long Vice. It is the best bang for the buck in paintball, and has been for the last few years.

ThickChestHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ebay, camocow200

I just never liked the Vice, loud as heck, nothing smooth about it. It is on the lite side though and and Axe used is about the same price..250.00- 300.00

WTF,why would i trade for that?

Ebay, camocow200 (1200) + 100% positive feedback
MCB 290 pos feedback

"Mar" bro: welcome to the forum, super nice marker - hopeful for your sale.
"stargazer" It's ma'am actually, not bro.
woouulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I did not know that the impulse was such a good shooter... I have read people say it shoots better than empires new vanquish. For 500 $ this looks like a steal!! Also the vice is a nice marker. Crazy efficient as well. There are so many options lol...
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
That's my point. There a very little upgrades for it.
But for someone who enjoys upgrades, personalization, tinkering, and just making sure that their gun is different from the next guy with the same model, the lack of available upgrades and aftermarket bits is a BAD thing.

Upgrading is fun. Shooting an unmodified gun can be boring. So hearing that a gun is somehow "better" because you can't upgrade it even if you wanted to just sounds silly.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
I did not know that the impulse was such a good shooter... I have read people say it shoots better than empires new vanquish. For 500 $ this looks like a steal!! Also the vice is a nice marker. Crazy efficient as well. There are so many options lol...
The Impulse is a fantastic shooter....mine is smoother than all of the Cyborgs I've owned. It's very efficient (12 pods off 68/4500). The thing it's got over all other poppet markers I've handled, including the Vice, G6R, and LV1 is ergonomics. It points very nicely, has an awesome frame, and balances out great with a hopper and tank. They need nothing but a barrel that fits the paint you use. Considering you can pick up a lightly used one for $400 I just can't recommend anything else.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts