mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-25-2014, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mid range markers q's

Hey guys!! Back again with another question.. I can't decide on these three guns. Etek 4, Macdev Drone, And Axe. Everyone seems to love axes and people who have shot drones say they are money, and last but not least the Etek. I know planet eclipse is great and all but bottom line is I want preformance. I am buying used so keep that in mind. I don't care about anything but the markers themselves. Preformance , maintenance, least need of upgrades.. All of the goodies. Please post if you have an opinion on any of these markers. THANKS!!!!
pbjake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Eteks are good but for the same price an older Ego is above and beyond better. Axes become nothing more than an upgrade money pit. The Drone shoots stellar out of my he box and requires nothing more than a trigger upgrade. Oh, Axes tend to get abused but are backed by a lifetime warranty. MacDev stuff is all made in Australia and the quality control is outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

The best "mid range" marker is a used high end marker. All of the above of nice guns.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

How old of an ego would you say? like 07 or 08??
pbjake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
An '08 or '09. Both of those years are great shooters.

Quote:
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntninja View Post
Axes become nothing more than an upgrade money pit.
Not true at all. That's only the case if you don't realize how good the stock internals actually are.

I've gone through the effort to prove that the stock bolt and poppet work excellent and don't require replacement for the marker to perform ridiculously well. I purchased a Boss bolt, Lurker bolt and Lurker poppet and no longer use any of them. The stock components provide very consistent, reliable results and require no tinkering or oft maintenance. With the stock bolt and poppet and some very minor replacements, my Axe runs at 6ms dwell, 1.25 turns out on the back cap and ~140 psi to achieve 290 fps. Smooth, quiet, consistent, efficient and I never have to touch the darn thing.

The only thing you should do with your Axe (as with any marker) is use a barrel that fits the paint you shoot. I use Lurker barrels on all of my markers but my Angels. Aside from the barrel, the only two things I've replaced are the feedneck (went with the Empire clamping feedneck) and the trigger (Violent scythe). They were simply preference items and are fine out of the box. Axes aren't Ions--they don't need 100 different items to be remotely competitive. Additionally, the Axe operationg system is easier on paint than anything else out there at the moment and that's often overlooked. The other two markers, while good, will not be as gentle on paint.

The first thing you should do is try to get your hands on all of those markers and shoot them at the very least. You aren't going to get a nicer shooting marker for the price or one that requires less maintenance than the Axe. I have no bias, here--I own multiple current and older high ends and I'll be the first to say that Axes perform far out of their price bracket.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
SoCal Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Not true at all. That's only the case if you don't realize how good the stock internals actually are.

I've gone through the effort to prove that the stock bolt and poppet work excellent and don't require replacement for the marker to perform ridiculously well. I purchased a Boss bolt, Lurker bolt and Lurker poppet and no longer use any of them. The stock components provide very consistent, reliable results and require no tinkering or oft maintenance. With the stock bolt and poppet and some very minor replacements, my Axe runs at 6ms dwell, 1.25 turns out on the back cap and ~140 psi to achieve 290 fps. Smooth, quiet, consistent, efficient and I never have to touch the darn thing.

The only thing you should do with your Axe (as with any marker) is use a barrel that fits the paint you shoot. I use Lurker barrels on all of my markers but my Angels. Aside from the barrel, the only two things I've replaced are the feedneck (went with the Empire clamping feedneck) and the trigger (Violent scythe). They were simply preference items and are fine out of the box. Axes aren't Ions--they don't need 100 different items to be remotely competitive. Additionally, the Axe operationg system is easier on paint than anything else out there at the moment and that's often overlooked. The other two markers, while good, will not be as gentle on paint.

The first thing you should do is try to get your hands on all of those markers and shoot them at the very least. You aren't going to get a nicer shooting marker for the price or one that requires less maintenance than the Axe. I have no bias, here--I own multiple current and older high ends and I'll be the first to say that Axes perform far out of their price bracket.
I agree with this. You don't NEED to upgrade them at all, they shoot great out of the box. If you want to upgrade them, $30 for a Lurker Bolt and $30 for a Lurker Poppet isn't exactly an 'upgrade pit.' At their price point there really isn't anything better.

Another gun to look at is a JT Impulse. I personally am not a fan because the gun sounds like a canon but if you're looking at Etek's and older Ego's you're not getting around that. They shoot great and have really good efficiency. Better than some older Egos, not quite as good as their new ones. Comparable to an Ego11 imo
socalforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

You won't find a marker that is as easily maintained as the drone. They shoot great too. It would come down to that or the axe in my opinion. I don't care for stacked tube markers at all.
Darrin79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ebay, camocow200

The JT Impulse is a nice lil marker and since they just dropped the price to 599.00 for a new one, a used one should be price in your budget.. Im still an AXE fan but the Impulse runs a close 2nd..

Ebay, camocow200 (1200) + 100% positive feedback
MCB 290 pos feedback

"Mar" bro: welcome to the forum, super nice marker - hopeful for your sale.
"stargazer" It's ma'am actually, not bro.
woouulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
What I was saying is that 99% of people that own Axe's, they always find a way to upgrade it whether its via new internals, new frame, grip extender or Redline. I agree 100% that stock internals are the best and zero reason to upgrade anything on it but you may catch the itch to upgrade every last bit which is not necessary. Drones require zero upgrades to shoot awesome.

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts