mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Paint Dribbler

Air fill not at a field?

I work with an event staff and at these events we have a T-shirt gun. Right now we use co2 since Dicks are all around the country. I've been urging them to switch to air. Our tanks froze at an event in the winter (not enough distance) and they shoot hot in the summer (T-shirts on the roofs of buildings).
Where can you get an air fill that's not a field?
Old 08-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

SCUBA shops, but they won't have the fill adaptor. Are you planning on running a regular tank? I would get the 48/3k, or whatever tank, buy the fill adaptor, and then rent the SCUBA tank if they are ~$5 a day like they are here. It's the same cost as filling a tank, so if you don't want the extra inventory that the SCUBA would be, just rent.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
tom
Rec Poster

In the uk the alternate air source is diving shops.

If you supply the adaptor they will
fill a paintball cylinder, but best value is by getting a scuba cylinder
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

There's always these hoodlums...

Home << ShoeBox Compressors - The World's Smallest & Lightest 4500 PSI Compressor
Old 08-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I have one of those too. When I was visiting, Tom mentioned that the vast majority of sales are INTL airgun people. I thought that was interesting considering how much drooling the PB community did over them.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
I have one of those too. When I was visiting, Tom mentioned that the vast majority of sales are INTL airgun people. I thought that was interesting considering how much drooling the PB community did over them.
I only have an airbrush compressor setup as a shop compressor (cycle switch and 5 gal. res.). The shop compressor input has kept me out of a shoebox. I still need another excuse for the shop compressor. I keep three bottles in hydro, so taking some air home to tinker with isn't much of a problem (usually).

I have a foot print problem in my garage generally. Not that the shoebox and shop compressor is that large. And if I ever find a cheap mill, there's some stuff headed for the curb.

SCUBA and CO2 are definitely cheaper, but traveling around, a little compressor might be worth it for 4.5k pressures
Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

As mentioned, a dive shop is the way to go. Sometimes the guys will say "let me see your dive license" and you just have to explain to them that you are not a diver. There are no actual rules about who can own a HPA tank but some shops may be stubborn about it but that has been the rare exception for me.

C02 really packs a much better punch for the size of the tank. You might find HPA creates more problems than it solves, so don't do a massive conversion to HPA before you know that it works well for you.

A partial solution to your problem is to use a regulator like a palmer stabilizer to regulate the output of the C02 tank down to 800 or so PSI so you can avoid the dangerous high velocity spikes you experience during the summer months.

I think when the tank isn't outputting 800 psi in the winter, it should still work just fine.

Anothing option is to experiment with a full liquid (siphon) setup for the winter which could solve the low velocity problem in the winter, but that would probably take some valve tuning.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Paint Dribbler

Didn't think of scuba shops! The tshirt gun doesn't have a velocity adjustment from what I can find and doesn't have a way to mount a bottom line for a stabilizer set up of some kind.

Are there stabilizers that can screw into an ASA with a female ASA on it?

Also, our current tanks are almost out of hydro so that's why I'm looking at replacements.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Looking around Palmer-pursuit.com (and you should as well, tons of awesome stuff)...

Inline Cart reg...
CA Cart Regulator [PPSP027] - $105.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something
Though one issue with the Cart regs is that they're not externally adjustable. They had to lose the external adjustment to cut down on size or else they'd be really long. But for your application it might be the ticket. Set it to just above whatever your tshirt guns needs (the Carts adjust from 0-600) and then forget it.

Female Stabilizer...
Female Stabilizer [PPSP010] - $83.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something
and you'll probably want to add the optional ring mount of block mount. Gives you a good reg that handles CO2 as your ASA. The goto option for double regged CO2 aficionados for decades. Combine with an anti-syphon tank for best results.

Inline Stabilizer...
Inline Stabilizer [PPSP011] - $72.50 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something
Standard 1/8npt hose in, 1/8npt hose out. If your tshirt gun has a standard ASA have it output to the reg, then hose the reg to the gun. If the tshirt gun has a reg as ASA you'll probably need the Cart reg instead.

Just a few options from the top of my head.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts