mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-18-2007, 01:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

the lore says:
vikings are faster in the BPS
but
excals are smoother

there were some deals to be had this week:
AKA Excalibur paintball marker - Ready to shoot - (eBay item 200174094203 end time Nov-17-07 13:12:52 PST)
AKA Excalibur paintball marker - Ready to shoot
Winning bid: US $331.00

01 Viking Paintball Marker - (eBay item 160177975543 end time Nov-14-07 19:30:05 PST)
01 Viking Paintball Marker
Winning bid: US $217.50

Last edited by doc Zox; 11-18-2007 at 02:03 AM.
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I know don't remind me lol I won't have the dough for the new marker until my auctions are over. The first one was only a 3 day auction and I was reall interested in it, did you see the purple jmj featherlight on there? What did you think of that?

I don't pimp I B/S/T and treat my guns like misled children I acquire them, give them some new clothes, and send them on to another loving home.
wildchild62565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

the purple one has had an interesting month

it was on ebay from a pawnshop it went for cheap, $450:
CUSTOM PAINTBALL GUN W/DYE GRIP-SIDEWIDER-EQUATION BARL - (eBay item 120159218842 end time Sep-13-07 20:00:00 PDT)

then it was here for $475 minus the barrel:
04 JMJ vike F/S - AKA Owners Group

then it was here for $525
04 Featherlight Viking

it then sold on ebay for $500:
04 JMJ Featherlight Viking AKA - (eBay item 230190061000 end time Nov-12-07 23:55:50 PST)
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Vikings and excals are both larger than A palmer blazer. They feel completely different. All of the listed guns are good guns for resale value when purchased used.

Excals are unique in the world, no other gun operates quite like them, maybe an old shocker?

Vikings are standard style though its arguably a better design.

Blazers are much smaller. I prefer the feel, but you obviously cant shoot them as fast, not as easily.

My blazer is pending, but they come up often. Be picky - they sold stock ones with standard frames for 275 dollars a piece when you buy 2.. so once you factor in all the upgrades, dont get screwed :P

Definately make the jump to the good viking or excal if you buy one. All you will want to do is get it milled otherwise!

Or just have your own viking done by DC, if you get the base gun cheap enough you can get it fully taken care of by DC just the way you like it..for less than the cost of some used DC milled guns. A cheap JMJ is a great choice.

Cant go wrong with either choice.

Brewtt is right though. They still make blazers.

Last edited by Cunha; 11-18-2007 at 05:43 AM.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild62565 View Post
how tight is the barrel on the gun? I never picked up a blazer in my life and I am quite worried about the pin design on the barrels. Are they very quick, I'm not worried about keeping up with ramping guns at all because it is not allowed at the fields I go to, but I also don't want to be closed in with a e-gripped a-5.
I didn't see anyone address these questions directly. I have never owned a blazer yet but have held and fired a couple. The barrel is very secure, perhaps more so than a "standard" screw in type. I found that blazers were pretty easy to shoot fast with the blade trigger. They feel very nice.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to Eress Pnter

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Viking....no more rollout problems, but without good barrel fit,a higher dwell is required to keep shot to shot consistency. around 10-12

Excal, closed bolt can have rollout problems if barrel doesn't match, with good fit a very low dwell (7 or 8) and I get 2fps often with mine in 10 shot strings. Barrel real loose and it goes down the drain unless I pump dwell, and still rollout possible. More parts. My favorite out of the 3.

Blazer. Need two barrels, both pps and you're set, small bore, big bore, wedgits stop rollout (that said pps brass is possible on AKA), brass shoots nice, very light, very small. Great service bar none.
Personally I could not get any of the 5 Blazers I have had/have to shoot as consistent (due to paint mostly) as I could with the AKA guns due to electronic valve control plus barrel fit.

Lately an excal, with a revy (dont care about speed either), is all I pickup anymore.

All three get tons of shots per tank, I believe the excal has an edge here as well.

Paintbreakage...I get the fewest breaks, with one 04 excal here that has had none since day one. The blazers need a bit more pressure, and dont have eyes so trigger use is a factor if you get excited.

Vikings I like 03 and under, better detente style for various paint. 04 viking with quad mod is almsot as good. excals barely need detentes if the bolt open time is set right and the halo isn't set to 'blend speed'. I like 04 excals.

I would say if weight/size/customer service/no electronics is a big issue....go blazer.
speed as a foremost, and you dont want tons of barrels..viking..
must be electro AND closed bolt..excal...

however the 'feel' of PPS vs AKA matters also, for how you like the thing to point... If you can try them first all the better.

Blazer barrel security is truely a non issue, you could swing it by the barrel tip. I have even carried them by the tube, and no 'crushing' force to tighten them is required...just secure and stop.

Eress Pnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yes, a blazer holds the barrel very securely. It's a screw, not a pin so you can tighten it up. As for the feedneck, the little white things are plastic screws so you should be able to tighten them accordingly as well (or just look around for the clamping feedneck modifications)

An Excal is a little slower than a Viking, maybe 2 bps, but both exceed 18 bps. A normal excal does feel a bit smoother than a viking but both are exceptional guns. Expect about a case from a 68/4500 tank. An excal does go through batteries a bit faster than a viking due to the added voltage needed to run two solenoids, though but not faster than your hopper is going to...
craltal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

Going off the top of my head:

I believe the max cycle rate per second for a Viking is in the 30's, while an Excal is "only" able to do about 20. Doesn't really make a difference really; both are very fast, and likely will outshoot your hopper.

I've owned a few Blazer, many Typhoons, and one Excal. All are nice markers, though I would lean towards the Blazer as the best overall choice. Blazers just feel the most refined (not saying Excal aren't insanely nice); they are in their 10th or 11th year of production for a great reason. The barrel and bolt strip down kicks butt par none. Uses inexpensive 3 in 1 oil for lube. I've yet to have to replace a single part in 2.5 years of good use and abuse. I do however hate the hopper feedneck, though you can get clamping feednecks now.

Excals are nice electros too. Fast, not as heavy as you might think, nice bolt stripping, moderately upgradable. Easy maintaince, just a drop of oil per case of paint.
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Amazing information guy's this will greatly influence the purchase of my next marker!!!

so excals do not use a detent, correct?

Vikings use a f4 wire detent?

and a blazer I will never have to worry about a rollout because they have the standard "cocker style" detent?

Keep in mind that I religously use my pulse loader and intend on getting an rf chip.

I think the winner is a unmilled 04 viking robtowned with pandora(just because I like vaporworks)

I will keep you guys informed what I buy though. The truck needs paint and I don't play in the winter lol.

again, have a good one guys! and keep the useful information coming!!!

I don't pimp I B/S/T and treat my guns like misled children I acquire them, give them some new clothes, and send them on to another loving home.
wildchild62565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Sasquatchian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild62565 View Post
Amazing information guy's this will greatly influence the purchase of my next marker!!!

so excals do not use a detent, correct?

Wrong, they use a detent, but it stops double loading, not roll-outs. It is closed bolt, so the barrel hold the paint in if it is sized to the paint.

Vikings use a f4 wire detent?

I believe so.

and a blazer I will never have to worry about a rollout because they have the standard "cocker style" detent?

Wrong, another closed bolt. Just as in an Autococker or the Excal, the paint in a Blazer is held in by the barrel, the detent just stops double feeds. The difference in a Blazer is that it comes with a PPS barrel which has widgits (small dimples punched into the barrel down by the breech). Those can stop most roll-outs.

Keep in mind that I religously use my pulse loader and intend on getting an rf chip.

I think the winner is a unmilled 04 viking robtowned with pandora(just because I like vaporworks)

I will keep you guys informed what I buy though. The truck needs paint and I don't play in the winter lol.

again, have a good one guys! and keep the useful information coming!!!

Hope that helps clear things up some.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts