mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 04-09-2006, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
How-to: Intimidator setup (proper)

This is #2 of my little how-to posts. I hope you enjoy:

Of all of the electronic tournament-level markers available today, the Intimidator has enjoyed the most recent fame and accolades. Many people love its ease of use and ability to dump enormous amounts of paint during a competition. For someone who's never touched electronic markers before though, the setup can be a daunting task. I'll attempt to show you the quickest and hopefully simplest method of setup. Each marker will be different and you should always consult the owners manual for each individual electronic board and its associated options, but this will be an initial step into getting it running.

1) Initial requirements
You're going to need an Intimidator first of all; I know it sounds silly, but many people think that a 'Spimmy' (Spyder-Timmy) or similar electronic sear-tipping marker will suffice. It is my opinion that these other markers don't meet the same specs and performance as a genuine Intimidator. That being said, there are many Intimidator models and they are each quite pricey. If this is your first one, check eBay for some cheaper models. You should be able to pick up a GZ (Ground Zero), 2k2, Dragon, Lasoya, ECX, or Texas Storm Intimidator for under $500, in fact I recently watched an auction last night with a Lasoya Intimidator, Halo B, Freak barrel, and 68ci/4500psi air tank sell for $505, so keep your eyes peeled! The model I own is a GZ Intimidator.

2) Basic Setup
First, you need to ensure you have working components. One of the biggest problems I find with friends’ Intimidators that stop working is that there is some little component that is broken or missing. For example, if the marker keeps chopping paint, it could be due to a broken ball detent. Or, if the eyes won’t read anything, and the marker keeps going into default mode (12.5 bps cap) due to the eyes misreading, it could be that they are misaligned or that one of the wires leading to the eye came loose (as happened with one friend’s marker). So, assuming everything works correctly, now we’ll fine-tune everything so that it performs optimally.
Step 1 is to identify your electronics. In this example, I am using a Wicked Air Sports (W.A.S.) Equalizer, with software version 2.7. For the purposes of this guide, we’ll call it the WAS board, as most pballers do. On my GZ Intimidator, all programming is done through the trigger pulls, since this model lacks an LCD.
Step 2 is to adjust the air pressure of your marker. To do this properly, you need to start with a full air tank (HPA only) and start with both your regulators backed out (no pressure on the spring stack). The ‘High’ pressure regulator is the Bob Long Torpedo or similar reg that is screwed directly into the ASA in the vertical direction, and regulates the air that will determine the velocity of each shot. The ‘Low’ pressure regulator is the one parallel to the barrel going horizontal, and regulates the recocking pressure applied to the bolt. With both regs back out (apply wrench in counter-clockwise direction), you can apply the air source. The marker shouldn’t gas up and the bolt shouldn’t move, the only thing that should happen is that the air line going into the Torpedo will tense up under the pressure. As a start point, turn the set screw on the Torpedo clockwise (increasing pressure) about 2-3 turns. This should be enough minimum pressure to do our adjustment. Next, you want to increase your LPR pressure. I’ve found the optimal pressure for most Intimidators is somewhere between 65-75 psi. You can read this directly off the gauge of the Torpedo. It may seem counterintuitive, but yes, you are reading the LPR pressure off of the guage on the High pressure reg. Once this is set, don’t touch the LPR anymore, it’s set. Now for the velocity adjustment, this is where the Torpedo comes in. Fire a shot over the chrono and raise the pressure ¼ turn at a time, clockwise, to increase pressure. This is where all the velocity adjustment is done. Once you achieve the desired velocity, don’t degas the marker, it’s ready to play all day long. If you need minor adjustments, use the Torpedo, as I stated.
Step 3 is to optimize your settings. One of the easiest places to get setting for all the different versions of Intimidator electronics is in this thread from PBNation: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=767114. For the GZ with WAS 2.7, I use these settings: Dwell – 8.0 ms (red); Debounce – 5.0 ms (green); and Eye Mode – 3 (orange). For details on these settings, check the product manual: http://www.wickedairsportz.net/manua...izermanual.pdf.

3) Results
I’ve been extremely impressed with the performance of this marker. At first, performance was disappointing with the SOB board (Semi-only board) that ships with the marker from Bob Long. It caps you at 16.5 bps, but you’d be hard pressed to reach that level. Plus, it’s not very consistent at keeping the solenoid running correctly, resulting in chopped balls and eratic velocity. As soon as I put the WAS board in this thing, it sang beautifully. Ever since then, I’ve only had to tweak the debounce to prevent bouncing. Additionally, once I put the WAS board in, I removed ball-chops from the equation. In fact, I haven’t broken a board in almost 3 years. It’s hard to believe, but this thing is amazing. Here’s a video to show you some performance. It’s an excerpt from a 20 minute film I made for some friends of mine.

Video:
Part 1 (Chrono range): I’m firing the marker with the WAS board, but have not optimized anything.
Part 2 (On-field): After optimization, you’ll see just how FAST this marker can really fire. I’ve managed to get 17 bps while measuring over an FPS/BPS chronograph. Enjoy the video

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ntimidator.flv

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Good read, a testament to what a Timmy can be in the right hands. Mine never gave me problems and they definately never chopped, yet you get a lot of people saying how crappy the quality is. It doesn't get any simpler than a Timmy as far as electronic markers go.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
As far as machining quality goes, there are some things to be desired. Some of the mill marks are visible, and the aluminum is kind of soft (I had a grip screw strip easily, and the design thickness at that point is WAY too thin). Other than that, they are easy. Glad you enjoyed the read!

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts