mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Stock bolts on PMI guns have a smaller inlet hole and have a harder pump stroke due to their bolt detentes.

Speed Demon bolts have a large inlet hole w/ a choke screw so you can bring velocity down a little. They have a lighter pump stroke due to their neato unlocking style of bolt detentes.

Basically: Speed Demon bolts 'pwn' stock bolts.
But the Speed Daemon bolts have likewise problems with leaks trought thier velocity adjusters - they are very inefficient. Best is remove the adjuster, seal the entire space with full screw (it is 5/16 UNF lenght 1/2"), teflon tape and tin solder (in the slot for the o-ring) and get rear velocity adjuster (adjusting the velocity trought preload of the hammer spring). After sealing of the Speed Daemon bolt, the velocity of my P68SC in his first 13 shoots increased on average by 45 fps.
3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #32 (permalink)
Post Whore

not all SD bolts have a velocity adjuster in them. the SD bolt in a pmi-1 will probably not have an adjuster in it. the adjustable SD bolt is more common on late model sheridans.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3022 View Post
But the Speed Daemon bolts have likewise problems with leaks trought thier velocity adjusters - they are very inefficient. Best is remove the adjuster, seal the entire space with full screw (it is 5/16 UNF lenght 1/2"), teflon tape and tin solder (in the slot for the o-ring) and get rear velocity adjuster (adjusting the velocity trought preload of the hammer spring). After sealing of the Speed Daemon bolt, the velocity of my P68SC in his first 13 shoots increased on average by 45 fps.

Or...you could just turn the velocity screw all the way back so it doesnt restrict flow and just leave it there. It does the exact same thing as what you say except the hassle of making a new screw to fit.

I do agree that an RVA is much better for velocity control, but sometimes you just can't bring it down enough and that screw comes in handy.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Or...you could just turn the velocity screw all the way back so it doesnt restrict flow and just leave it there. It does the exact same thing as what you say except the hassle of making a new screw to fit.

I do agree that an RVA is much better for velocity control, but sometimes you just can't bring it down enough and that screw comes in handy.
It does not the same thing. The original screw of the velocity adjuster has lengthwise cut outs for his lock-balls where are leaks. The rear o-ring lies on the lock-balls of the screw and do not seal properly. This has nothing to do with the position of the velocity adjuster/screw. With full screw sealed in winding with teflon tape and perfectly sealing rear o-ring (on unspoiled seat face), there is really big difference. The velocity adjuster in the SD bolt is simply waster. It can be tolerated when goes on CA Sheridans where is the CO2 efficiency not essential, but when goes on SC marker...
Old 08-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #35 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

Send a message via AIM to d4rksabre

Alright, I picked up a nice looking PMI-1 off of Wycke for $100 and it works nice but the velocity is low (of course). Now mind you, im still new to the workings of these guns. I have the velocity screw inside the bolt turned all the way in but its still shooting low. I plan on sending it out to palmers soon but are there any other ways to up the velocity that I don't know of?

Also I'd like to put some better grips on it, preferrably a rubber wrap around style. What do you guys recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

You can also get some info from the PGP owner's group located here:
http://pgpog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

and the homepage is located here:
http://airsoldier.com/~pgpog/

Many PGP mods should work with the PMI-1.

I prefer the PMI rubber grips ($20ish).
Velocity can be improved by shimming the hammer spring, drilling the rear hammer spring cap and install a set screw (Rear Velocity Adjuster). The mainspring may be weak, also.

Sugarstump has a RVA on Ebay : http://cgi.ebay.com/Sheridan-PGP-PMI...QQcmdZViewItem

Dan

Last edited by Target; 08-25-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

If you've got a valve tool and know what you're doing, you can put a nelson spring of a lighter weight in the valve to raise velocity. But, since you're sending it to PPS you might as well just let them have at it. They'll bring the velocity up to where it should be.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:06 AM   #38 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

Send a message via AIM to d4rksabre

so i thought it was shooting low but apparently it wasnt, i took it out to my friends and chrono'd it and it was coming in at 240 and 280. it wasnt consistant, but it was shooting. So i think maybe it just needs a good tune up. and of course a quick feed, and a quick changers. Palmers here it comes...i'll see it again in a month if im lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

Palmer = Dark Force

:-)
Old 08-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #40 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

How do you like the feel of your PMI-1?
Think you can get used to tipping it back to load, like us other sheridan'ers?

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts