mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-17-2006, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

Send a message via AIM to d4rksabre

Phantom vs. P68

Alright guys, I'm new to this forum but it's a great place and I've been all over the BST section for a few weeks. I've made the move from semi to pump and I want to get myself a higher end pump. I'm using a worn out BE Tigershark right now, and I know it's a piece of junk but I love the rush of playing stock class. The issue that I have is I just can't decide what to get!

I love the Phantoms. Two of my team mates have them and they are beautiful pieces of machinery. Very light and very cool.

But...

I'm also a sucker for vintage guns. I have a Sheridan VM-68 Magnum in excellent shape and I love the thing because of the looks it gets. I also use my 68 Automag all the time and I love it. I love using old paintball guns when I'm around all the kids with the electros, there's something to be said for that feeling you get when theyre all looking at you and you know theyre thinking "Is that thing from the stone age?"

So you see my dilemma, I love Phantoms, but I also love the looks and the reviews of the old P68s. So I need your help guys, help guide my decision as I dive deeper into the world of Stock Class.

Basically the deciding factor for me in this would be the availability of parts. I know since Phantoms are currently in production I have no fear of not getting parts. But since the P68s are obviously no longer made, I want to know if theres a way I could get it fixed/ get parts for it?

Thanks guys

~Carter
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Well, parts can be gotten from PPS but the problem is how expensive they are compared to phantom parts. The real deciding factor here should be the performance. A phantom will blow a way a stock P-68sc any day performance-wise. If you're REALLY wanting a vintage gun and don't care about how it performs, get the P-68.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Meh, get a PPS Super Stocker and get ALL the people's WTF's and wide eyed looks!
Old 08-17-2006, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Custom Gunslinger

I run a P68SC and as long as the paint is good I can run pretty well with the Phantom's and even the Snipers. Get whatever you feel is what fits your personality. Even if you get the old school P68 there is no reason you can not upgrade it by sending it to PPS or KPCS for some custom work to be done.

Rainman does some nice valve work and can get your shots per 12gram up there with the Phantoms. He can also powdercoat it and put a 45 frame from a cocker or mag on it if you want to gussy it up

My Gallery
Feedback at MCB
Feedback at SCP
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

hmm you guys have me leaning towards the P68. I love the old school look of the 68s. So now the problem comes down to finding one lol.

If i wanted to send it to Palmer, what kinda stuff can they do to it and how much am i looking at it costing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Look for yourself on their website. They can tune, add quick strip, yada yada yada...

I'll cost you anywhere from $75-$200 for tuning.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

wow, their prices are way better than i expected. what would you guys recommend I have done to one if I were to get one?

And i know its different, but do you think theres a way they can extend the feed tube off the back of the gun and set it up with a Phantom style quick feed, cuz i like those and it'd probably look pretty cool...and at least be different.

edit: actually I noticed Cleric's second P68 has a quick load on it, and slots in the feed tube, thats pretty cool. Cleric did you do that yourself of have it done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
Old 08-18-2006, 02:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

I have a Palmerized nickel P68(V)sc, I love the vertical air Palmer put on it, that way I can save on air by using my 3.5oz'r. You won't be disappointed with either choice.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16

Last edited by Frontier_Bill; 01-09-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Custom Gunslinger

My old P68 had the slots cut before I got it. Very nice feature to have as far as keeping track of loading. The nice thing about the P68 is the 15 rounds it holds. You can pretty much always top it off. Palmers will cut the slots if you want when they have it and you can also buy a speed gate from them with lets you stick a 10round tube right into the back of the marker to reload it. Not the same as a Phantom just different, some might argue better because the ball holder part will never wear out because it uses a spring.

My Gallery
Feedback at MCB
Feedback at SCP
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

CCM Fan
I'd say Phantom.

P-68 is nice, but if you're going Brass, you might as well get a Super Stocker...

Jay

Best Field in STL
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts