mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Something to increase grip on the ol' CO2 tank? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/2866-something-increase-grip-ol-co2-tank.html)

TrracerAce 08-22-2006 02:14 AM

Something to increase grip on the ol' CO2 tank?

I've got a 9-ouncer and a 20, and those worthless butt plates don't do it. Obviously HPA-style neoprene tank covers are a bad idea as they're insulators and would act as a beer cozy once the bottle gets cold.

Anyone got suggestions for a kind of slipcover that'd give it some grip so I can better use it to steady my aim, as well as give me something to grip onto when unscrewing it? (Ever try to unscrew tanks with paint-covered hands?)

Because as of now my only idea is making my own foam rubber slipcovers with holes cut all over so the insulating property is minimized, and that in itself is less than ideal as the porting would make the rubber subject to tearing under stress.

Anyone know if easy-grip covers for the sides and bottoms of co2 bottles are made anywhere?

Chefdave 08-22-2006 02:17 AM

Tool dip?

Jaan 08-22-2006 03:02 AM

They make heat shrink that size.

It's relatively expensive though ... for heat shrink that is. Might be $5 a foot, something like that. I'd have to dig up the purchase order. I might be able to get you some in black or red. I at least have the cheaper *thin* heat shrink in that size for sure (I use it for covering custom made battery packs) but I was thinking about the thicker rubbery stuff. Anyway let me know I might be able to hook you up.

Are you around the Boston area?

HurtCow 08-22-2006 03:15 AM

Try some cloth bicycle handlebar tape wrapped around the base. That should give enough grip to unscrew it.

Tugboater203 08-22-2006 03:39 AM

Friction tape

Tug

Fluff 08-22-2006 07:30 AM

The tape used to regrip golf clubs and tennis rackets.

Deadfall 08-22-2006 10:52 AM

You could try covering a butt plate woth some of that rubberized spray. Someone here (Robertsr possibly?) covered a beat-up Automag in it.

I wouldn't spray it directly on the tank itself, as some fields might be picky about that.

doc Zox 08-22-2006 11:28 AM

the product you seek is called Plasti-Dip

http://www.plastidip.com/consumer/index.html

TrracerAce 08-22-2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaan (Post 22549)
They make heat shrink that size.

It's relatively expensive though ... for heat shrink that is. Might be $5 a foot, something like that. I'd have to dig up the purchase order. I might be able to get you some in black or red. I at least have the cheaper *thin* heat shrink in that size for sure (I use it for covering custom made battery packs) but I was thinking about the thicker rubbery stuff. Anyway let me know I might be able to hook you up.

Are you around the Boston area?

Wish I were, I'm up in Canada.

Any kind of tool dip would have to be removable on demand as even dipping the bottom of the tank would guarantee a hassle at the fill station. Plus, y'know, if the tank DOES develop a fracture (I'm kind of a fumble fingers and have dropped tanks before) I'd kind of like to know as well.

Grip tape looks like the best option by far. I could also buy up one of those cheap plastic camo tank covers and coat both sides of THAT in tool dip as well.

I've done more hunting and found CO2 bottle covers designed for cold weather play. Guess if I get the urge I could buy one and stuff a chemical heating pad in there for those games I lean on the trigger.

Jaan 08-22-2006 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrracerAce (Post 22829)
Any kind of tool dip would have to be removable on demand as even dipping the bottom of the tank would guarantee a hassle at the fill station. Plus, y'know, if the tank DOES develop a fracture (I'm kind of a fumble fingers and have dropped tanks before) I'd kind of like to know as well.

Oh, in that case just make a cover out of leather.

It's easy to make a cover like that out of leather, just make it like a pouch with a round bottom. You can get some pretty thin leather too ... personally I would suggest deerskin, especially for the grippyness. Dull side out. I've made pouches and a rifle sock from deerskin ... from a deer I killed with that very same rifle (c: Cut up one of your wife's old purses.

Get some leather, cut some thongs, make some holes, lace stuff up.