mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

force of propellant

Does anyone know the amount of force that hits the paintball to propell it? I would prefer force of pressure because i do not want to convert haha. im looking for lbs force please if psi is all that is known, i will convert but i would rather have it in lbs force

thanks
LT72884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
According to am old article by Tom Kay of AGD fame, the pressure is around 60 PSI. According to an online area of a circle calculator, the area is .37 sq in. Therefore 60 PSI x 0.37 sq in = 22.2 pounds of force

Someone with a better understanding might be able to get you a more exact number, but this "feels" inline with my experience with markers.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak, Freak XL compatible and Equation inserts in .670, .678, and .685 (As I no longer have access to the machine to make certain sizes, I will not be replacing any which go out of stock.)

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO

Follow Brass Monkey Customs on Instagram and Facebook (work in progress)
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
"Not you brother"

Depend how fast you want it moving. Providing some more information such as why you are asking would help too.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
According to am old article by Tom Kay of AGD fame, the pressure is around 60 PSI. According to an online area of a circle calculator, the area is .37 sq in. Therefore 60 PSI x 0.37 sq in = 22.2 pounds of force

Someone with a better understanding might be able to get you a more exact number, but this "feels" inline with my experience with markers.

Ty
thanks for doing the converison. i had the math all ready to go incase someone gave me psi. i just would rather have lbs force. im doing a strengths of materials personal problem right now haha. i start back up in school in a month som i am practicing some equations and plus i wanted to know some stats about paintball. haha

P(area)=force

now that i have that, i can solve for time in my force equation

F=ma
a=v/t
v=d/t
so F= d/t/t or F=md/t^2
therefore time = sqrt(md/f)

then once i have time, i can solve for acceleration and then for force of paintball hitting you with in a 3 foot distance. granted the force is less when further away because velocity slows down. thats what im going to calculate next is that. just gotta figure out how to use math equations to calculate the velocity at x distance. might need to use one of the big 3 for it.

thanks
Old 07-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Some People Juggle Geese

It would depend on the gun you are using. Pounds force is a measure of force and Pounds per square inch is a measure of pressure. You wouldn't be able to convert it with out the area.

You need the volume released by the valve at a certain pressure to give you the answer.
When I worked in the county prison, all my pals among the correctional officer staff were always talking about how they needed a large(r) caliber handgun in case they were confronted by someone on "PCP" or "Angel dust".

Now... all they talk about is zombies.
netsurferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

so here is a side question, if only 60psi(22.2lbs force) hit the paint ball, then why is the hpa tank set to 3000psi? thats a huge drop in pressure from tank to paint?
Old 07-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurferdude2 View Post
It would depend on the gun you are using. Pounds force is a measure of force and Pounds per square inch is a measure of pressure. You wouldn't be able to convert it with out the area.

You need the volume released by the valve at a certain pressure to give you the answer.
yeah i need the cross sectional area of a paintball but according to a poster above, its about .37 in^2

i could use volume as well and use a differnt equition, probably yield very simular answer as above.

thanks for all the input guys.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Some People Juggle Geese

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
so here is a side question, if only 60psi(22.2lbs force) hit the paint ball, then why is the hpa tank set to 3000psi? thats a huge drop in pressure from tank to paint?
Assuming 60psi is correct. That is for one shot at a certain volume. You need a compressed air tank at a high pressure to give you more shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
yeah i need the cross sectional area of a paintball but according to a poster above, its about .37 in^2

i could use volume as well and use a differnt equition, probably yield very simular answer as above.

thanks for all the input guys.
What is your end goal here? To find the force of a paintball hitting a person? To find the force of air hitting a paintball? I don't really understand your intent. If you could give us some more info, we can help.
When I worked in the county prison, all my pals among the correctional officer staff were always talking about how they needed a large(r) caliber handgun in case they were confronted by someone on "PCP" or "Angel dust".

Now... all they talk about is zombies.
netsurferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post

Ty
which was initial pressure at the bolt face, declining as the dump chamber empties. Iirc, 60 was the lower end among different markers, with the heavier hitting pulses around 100 psi. You usually associate the higher face pressures with a shorter and more gas efficient shot profile, even though it can punch through the paintball. The variations of the phantom TPC design are a good look at that.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes, i am trying to find the force a paintball hits a person at 3 ft, 50ft, 100 ft and 120

if force=mass(accel) but i do not have acceleration so i must substitute another equation in for a. that is where i use velocity/time but velocity is also distance/time. i sub that in and get force = (mass)(distance/time^2) now i can solve for time and then solve for acceleration. i could use v/t since i know the fps of my marker. but i wanted to try it out this way first for practice

now i can solve for force at very close distance but i will need to use another equation for the other distances since velocity is not constant at 3ft vs 100 ft

after that, i will then calculate different masses of projectiles and what not.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts