mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I ended up pulling the trigger on a VSL. For $99 with a speed feed, it seems like a good deal. Early reviews all seem to be good too. It just seems to meet my criteria of being reliable, low profile and consistent.
My Feedback Thread
JonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

I hope you like the VSL, let me know what you think of it.

I found a couple rotors yesterday, $40 each. Hoping to snag those for my two electro guns. I'm really starting to be intrigued by stock class and single shot though, so my plan the next time i play is to invite a couple new players and give them the electros with rotors while i try out my new PGP against them. Pretty psyched for the adrenaline rush!!
Tippmann 98C (x3)
Tippmann US Army Alpha Black
Rainmaker's Feedback
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I hope you like the VSL, let me know what you think of it.

I found a couple rotors yesterday, $40 each. Hoping to snag those for my two electro guns. I'm really starting to be intrigued by stock class and single shot though, so my plan the next time i play is to invite a couple new players and give them the electros with rotors while i try out my new PGP against them. Pretty psyched for the adrenaline rush!!
Will do. I just got it last night. Build quality appears to be pretty good and I really like how low profile it is without the insert. I should be able to test it on the field as it gets closer to spring. I ended up settling on the VSL over a Rotor mostly because I don't really need something that can feed 30 bps. The fields I play at don't always have high end paint available either. So, I'd much rather have something that doesn't jam and feeds consistently. I also really like how quiet this thing really is when empty. I won't exactly be advertising my lack of paint to everyone within earshot with this loader.
My Feedback Thread

Last edited by JonM; 01-05-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Never felt the need to buy anything after my GEN 1 Rotor. Its never let me down. Batteries last forever. I added velcro straps to hold the batteries like the Gen 2 Rotor and a speed feed. When I need a power hopper the Rotor is my go to.

If a Rotor jams it needs new batteries.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #25 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
Never felt the need to buy anything after my GEN 1 Rotor. Its never let me down. Batteries last forever. I added velcro straps to hold the batteries like the Gen 2 Rotor and a speed feed. When I need a power hopper the Rotor is my go to.

If a Rotor jams it needs new batteries.

Thatís really good to hear! Two of my priorities for a hopper are battery life and no jamming. I had seen some mixed opinions about the rotor on jamming issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tippmann 98C (x3)
Tippmann US Army Alpha Black
Rainmaker's Feedback
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #26 (permalink)
I CANT DRIVE 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Will do. I just got it last night. Build quality appears to be pretty good and I really like how low profile it is without the insert. I should be able to test it on the field as it gets closer to spring. I ended up settling on the VSL over a Rotor mostly because I don't really need something that can feed 30 bps. The fields I play at don't always have high end paint available either. So, I'd much rather have something that doesn't jam and feeds consistently. I also really like how quiet this thing really is when empty. I won't exactly be advertising my lack of paint to everyone within earshot with using loader.
Low profile is certainly nice, but some of them are so low that you cant even dump a pod in, without spilling paint or having to shoot it down, unless the hopper is bone dry. Just a thought for ya. Try putting in 30-40 balls in the hopper, then try to dump a pod in, see if they all fill, or if theres still paint above the hopper.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
- The New Colossus, Emma Lazarus

This is what the Statue of Liberty is supposed to mean. But what does she mean now? How have we strayed so far?

My feedback
Jahnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahnman View Post
Low profile is certainly nice, but some of them are so low that you cant even dump a pod in, without spilling paint or having to shoot it down, unless the hopper is bone dry. Just a thought for ya. Try putting in 30-40 balls in the hopper, then try to dump a pod in, see if they all fill, or if theres still paint above the hopper.
I'm sure I'll get a better feel for it after I get it to the field and see which way I like it best. The advertised capacity of the VSL without the insert is 185. With the insert, it's 235. Even with the insert, it's still no bigger than a Rotor. Technically, I could take out the ramp to get it up to 250 but I don't see the point since it would also affect its ability to load when it gets low on paint.

Since this loader is so new, there really aren't a lot of unbiased reviews out there yet. I'll be sure to check back in once I put it through its paces.
My Feedback Thread
Old 01-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
Thatís really good to hear! Two of my priorities for a hopper are battery life and no jamming. I had seen some mixed opinions about the rotor on jamming issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamming issues with the rotor are 100% operator error. The battery's last so long people forget the last time they replaced them. I like to run lithiumion batteries in mine. Hopper lasted threw my 3 case a day Xball practices several NPPL, PSP and NXL events it's ben threw hell its scared ugley and perfict.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
AKA Maggy Moo

That's not really true. Rotors can be really hit or miss. My boss has one, and regardless of how fresh his batteries are, it jams. Consistently. Put crappy paint in it and you're lucky to get more than 2-3 shots before it jams again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
magmoormaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
That's not really true. Rotors can be really hit or miss. My boss has one, and regardless of how fresh his batteries are, it jams. Consistently. Put crappy paint in it and you're lucky to get more than 2-3 shots before it jams again.
If it's jamming even with good paint and fresh batteries the try putting a new board in it. Sometimes the microswitch mounts start to get weak and bend causing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
Jamming issues with the rotor are 100% operator error. The battery's last so long people forget the last time they replaced them.

I've seen plenty of Rotors jam with fresh batteries, and it is almost always from poor quality paint. The Rotor really is a phenomenal and reliable loader when using good quality paint, but users don't always have the option to buy good quality paint at some FPO facilities. Not trying to blame the facilities either, sometimes a skid gets ruined in shipping. Even if the paint company will warranty/replace it, sometimes there's no way to get different paint for the weekend, and you're stuck with what you have.

I'm not trying to make the Rotor sound temperamental either. That's a big misconception. Rotors work really well with most paint, low grade, mid grade or high grade, it's when you get that BAD batch with big flat spots and dimples that you start to have problems. This can jam just about any loader, but the Rotor will typically see more jams in this instance than other options. I've put a few hundred cases through various Rotors and have had very few jams. My Rotor2 is definitely more jam prone than my Rotor, and doesn't feed as fast either.

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts