mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 04-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

VM 68 dual bottle setup

Ok now I've gotten all 3 vm's running I want to set up one as a dual bottle. I have the back bottle adapter with the hole and the front asa adapter with a hole what I do need is the ideal set up for fittings and hose/tubing to look good and preform. If I tube it or pipe it I'll need one of the bottles to have an on/off so it won't drain out when I take the other bottle off.

What else should I consider? Any one got pics (bored 383 I'm looking at you ) of dual setups? I was going to get a 20 oz with on/off for the back and will continue to run a 9 oz on the front. Does this sound ok or am I more of a moron than normal. Please advise or great VM'ers.

Tug
Old 04-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Well this will give you an idea on how far you can go with tank mounting on a VM:
http://www.vm68.com/vm68/vm_fourbottle.html

You will definately need on/offs on both tanks, not just one, otherwise your gas will go from one tank to the other using the one closest to the asa on the front of the gun as an expansion chamber.
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti
Well this will give you an idea on how far you can go with tank mounting on a VM:
http://www.vm68.com/vm68/vm_fourbottle.html

You will definately need on/offs on both tanks, not just one, otherwise your gas will go from one tank to the other using the one closest to the asa on the front of the gun as an expansion chamber.
Not true at all. The two tanks will automatically equal out(as long as they are both full when you put them on and on the entire time if one or both have an on/off). Also, you don't need on/offs on either tank. Just unscrew them both slightly(not enuff to let air out) then shoot down till the pin valves deactivate.

Can't help you on the VM though, I've run a few dual tank setups, but never a VM

Last edited by Chappy; 04-10-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

With a vm you at least need an on/off on the front tank. Otherwise it will just drain liquid CO2 to the back or lower tank. Also.... P=VnT... mainly your Pressure is equal to the gas at such a temperature and volume. So if you increase the volume of the container (two open tanks) as the gas volume decreases you will have that much more volume for gas...and CO2 likes to be a gas more than it does a liquid.... not so much of a problem when you have two full tanks but it will be when you start using up gas.

Also....I would never recommend running around with a partially loose tank on a gun.. I know you're only talking about backing it out a quarter turn or so..but it's still not safe. It's a heck of a lot more safe to install an on/off (and while youre at it install anti-siphon tubes) than to run around with a tank that could come off a gun.

Also I've never not seen it recommended with vm's to use an on/off on the tanks.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
Quote:
With a vm you at least need an on/off on the front tank. Otherwise it will just drain liquid CO2 to the back or lower tank. Also.... P=VnT... mainly your Pressure is equal to the gas at such a temperature and volume. So if you increase the volume of the container (two open tanks) as the gas volume decreases you will have that much more volume for gas...and CO2 likes to be a gas more than it does a liquid.... not so much of a problem when you have two full tanks but it will be when you start using up gas.

Also....I would never recommend running around with a partially loose tank on a gun.. I know you're only talking about backing it out a quarter turn or so..but it's still not safe. It's a heck of a lot more safe to install an on/off (and while youre at it install anti-siphon tubes) than to run around with a tank that could come off a gun.

Also I've never not seen it recommended with vm's to use an on/off on the tanks.
Well, I didn't think about the VM specific setup, where liquid could roll back to a lower tank. But this wouldn't happen if you have an anti siphon, which imo you should have on any horizontal tank.

As far as increased volume for gas, this shouldn't make much of a diff since your also doubling the amount of liquid. It should self regulate to 800ish psi till the tank(s) are almost out of liquid, one tank or two.

And I'm not recomending partially screwing one tank in. Screw them both in, have them both on the whole time. When you take them off, unscrew them both partially, then shootdown., then take off the tanks.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Ahhhh I thought you mean that when one was empty to partially unscrew it and leave it on the gun.... which also in the case of the vm with a multi tank setup would mean that you still have pressure on the valve face...unless you put a check valve on the line to the rear asa.

Vm's are tricky beasts.

I would go with the dual tanks with anti siphon and on/offs. Just because. Just remember that you will get a heck of a lot of excersice doing this as it will be very heavy!

E
Old 04-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Ahhhh I thought you mean that when one was empty to partially unscrew it and leave it on the gun.... which also in the case of the vm with a multi tank setup would mean that you still have pressure on the valve face...unless you put a check valve on the line to the rear asa.

Vm's are tricky beasts.

I would go with the dual tanks with anti siphon and on/offs. Just because. Just remember that you will get a heck of a lot of excersice doing this as it will be very heavy!

E
I'd definately agree, for ease of use, go w/ the anti-siphons and on/off's. I like running dual tanks, lotsa strange looks.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

Does anyone know if the Pure Energy tanks are able to ba adapted to anti siphon? The Brass Eagle tanks can't because the pin spring has a fitting that is pressed in not screwed.
Another (uglier) option is to put an on/off valve inline but that leaves a whole load of stuff on the side of the marker.

I'm really looking on how to make the hose what's the minimum PSI rating I should use? If I pipe it I was going to put a quick release on the pipe so I can take it apart eventually. Opinions?

And honestly it's still feels lighter than my sniper 1 (she tasted the thrill of the hunt again yesterday), on May 7th I'm going to want her up and running even if I have to run dual 9's.

Where should I get the hose a pb store or go to the hydraulic co down the road?

Tug

-what a rambling response...oh well

Last edited by Tugboater203; 04-10-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Tugboater203 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Well you probably want to go with braided hose...and use stuff from a paintball store... and if at all possible try to test fit it before buying it... sometimes when you order they measure length of hose not from tip of fitting to tip of fitting..othertimes it just really helps to be able to lay the hose down where it's going to be used and say "Yup that will fit"

As to anti siphons and tank valves..... get some good on/off valves (smart parts on/offs are actually very nice as they are rebuildable) and have them professionally installed if at all possible...this means leaving your gun with the person installing the fitting or marking the position of the tube on the valve before it's installed in the tank.

I would stay away from all sorts of extra crap on your gun. Keep it simple and that will keep you from having problems. The less parts, the lesser chance of problems.

E
Old 04-10-2006, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboater203
Does anyone know if the Pure Energy tanks are able to ba adapted to anti siphon? The Brass Eagle tanks can't because the pin spring has a fitting that is pressed in not screwed.
Another (uglier) option is to put an on/off valve inline but that leaves a whole load of stuff on the side of the marker.

I'm really looking on how to make the hose what's the minimum PSI rating I should use? If I pipe it I was going to put a quick release on the pipe so I can take it apart eventually. Opinions?

And honestly it's still feels lighter than my sniper 1 (she tasted the thrill of the hunt again yesterday), on May 7th I'm going to want her up and running even if I have to run dual 9's.

Where should I get the hose a pb store or go to the hydraulic co down the road?

Tug

-what a rambling response...oh well
Some of the newer Pure energy tanks have a plug that is not 1/8" npt, so you can't put your average anti-siphon(I'd assume they'll start selling they're own proprietery kits).The tanks I've bought prior to 06 did have an 1/8" npt, so depends on which you get, I suppose.

1800 psi rating is the minimum you should use for the plumbing. A paintball shop can sell you ss braided or macro(though I wouldn't use macro). If you want hardline, yeah I'd check the local hydrualic shop. Just remember that if its rated for hydraulic pressure, you'll need 5400 psi rating.
I like hardline myself, as ong as you can keep it fieldstripable.

I think B stickied a painball plumbing pressure guide around here somewhere, unless that was just on mcb.

Last edited by Chappy; 04-10-2006 at 08:00 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts