mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_sock View Post
....so ive been using a large, heavy gun thats the biggest pain in the world to clean and maintain because i was under the false idea that it was more accurate. wow. well i geuss im gonna go get a mini now.......
Since using large heavy guns that are huge pains to clean and maintain is pretty much what vintage collecting is all about, you should mail me that cocker for proper disposal
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

My cocker actually seems more accurate to me. I don't know why, but the first time I shot it (using the old-school stock 10" barrel), it was dead-on. And that was without a bore-match.

MCB Feedback
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
550 for Fighters

Send a message via AIM to TheAznInvazn

Palmers Fan
Interesting...

I do think that accuracy is defined by;

1. Paint/Barrel match
2. Reciprocating Mass
3. Velocity Consistancy
4. Paint Roundness Consistancy
5. Barrel Quality

Maybe you should let me shoot your cocker to verify
TheAznInvazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
tribal monger

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_sock View Post
....so ive been using a large, heavy gun thats the biggest pain in the world to clean and maintain because i was under the false idea that it was more accurate. wow. well i geuss im gonna go get a mini now.......
So you will get a light weight gun that, you will be scared to run into stuff in fear it will break.
Any gun is a pain to clean & maintain , I can stand coming home and trying to clean all my stuff after a day of play.

Never got used to the mini myself , felt more like a woman or a little kids gun .... but hey it might work for you.
TOG feedback
Ebay feedback
Gun collection 54 not 1 newer than 2004.....Don't buy into the hype, faster and newer isn't always better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
The tears of the Wally Lama render a mirror like finish to any bit of brass. When it's time to polish, Wally Lama thinks of all the neglected Sheridans out there and a tear falls from his eye onto his latest creation. Three children who were passing by witnessed this holy event once and we're all blinded by the brilliance of the brass. They all three heard Angels voices and accepted their calling as witnesses to the miracle of His divinity.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

What, you don't trust me? :P

There's no reason to be so disappointed in a Free Flow 'cocker. They are amazing markers. I guess you just don't appreciate 'cockers.

But there are reasons 'cockers are more accurate than your A-5. Blowback markers tend to have a good amount of kick, which affects your shot, where 'cockers (while still having a little more kick than say a spooler) cycle a lot more smoothly. This allows for greater gun control, increasing accuracy. Also vital with closed bolt markers is barrel to paint matching to prevent roll outs. This also attributes to more accuracy.

Last edited by Magoo; 02-13-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
WGP phased out its entire autococker line, with the exception of the "SR". Instead WGP is focusing on blowbacks, and spool-driven guns.

Basically, K2 has reduced "WGP" to a brand name, and not much else.
That would be a point except that it seems that a significant part of, if not most of, in-house design and development work went to that autococker. Much of the advertising dollars and hype are going there too.

The lower-end stuff was outsourced, the mg-7 for example was a completely purchased design.

So contrary to what it looks like, dig a little deeper and WGP is still very much about autocockers.
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drg View Post
That would be a point except that it seems that a significant part of, if not most of, in-house design and development work went to that autococker.
WGP no longer makes traditional cockers anymore (mech, electro, or snipers).

Yes, the SR is a modernized version, though it completely lacks all the things that made the cocker unique. Plus, for all that "in house" design, they are still made in China at the Brass Eagle factory. In that regard, they ARE a brand name, and not much else.

nick

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Quote:
WGP no longer makes traditional cockers anymore (mech, electro, or snipers).

Yes, the SR is a modernized version, though it completely lacks all the things that made the cocker unique.
If you mean outdated, clunky design, good riddance. Other than that, the SR is as traditional as any other cocker. Even more traditional than many high end fullbodies these days, even, with the mechanical valvetrain.

I will never, ever accept the elitist old-timer view that evolution and modernization of products is necessarily bad. As an old-timer myself, I disdain such closed-mindedness.

Quote:
Plus, for all that "in house" design, they are still made in China at the Brass Eagle factory. In that regard, they ARE a brand name, and not much else.

nick
Manufacturing location has no bearing on the dedication level of a company to a product.

Last edited by drg; 02-14-2008 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 AM   #29 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

I agree with drg on this one. It's like the "Trilogies aren't real 'cockers!" argument. Please. Define autococker for me. An autococker is a paintball gun with a pneumatic ram that actuates a backblock, cocking back a hammer. No more, no less. The Trilogy is a paintball gun with a pneumatic ram that cocks a hammer. The SR is a paintball gun that has a pneumatic ram that cocks a hammer. How are they not traditional 'cockers?

Disclaimer: The definition of "autococker" was simplified.

Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:43 AM   #30 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeTrevni View Post
I agree with drg on this one. It's like the "Trilogies aren't real 'cockers!" argument. Please. Define autococker for me. An autococker is a paintball gun with a pneumatic ram that actuates a backblock, cocking back a hammer. No more, no less. The Trilogy is a paintball gun with a pneumatic ram that cocks a hammer. The SR is a paintball gun that has a pneumatic ram that cocks a hammer. How are they not traditional 'cockers?

Disclaimer: The definition of "autococker" was simplified.
I'm even more liberal than that... autococker refers to the form factor. mQ cockers obviously are still cockers.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts