mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 09-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Custom Gunslinger

Question Mask/Goggle Opinions

Well guys I have decided that I may very well be ready to give up my old JT X-fires and move into the modern age of masks and goggles. Have not really seen to many reviews of them here so I am putting it out there to have some help from everyone here.

I am NOT a pro player so get it out of your head that I would spend $90 for the latest Dye Invision. Not knocking people that have those, but I spent less than $90 on my first PGP I bought to play with 15 years ago. I have been a JT man for most of my playing time, couple of X-fires and one set of Spectras that I let my brother use. They have stood the test of time and I enjoy them but I have gotten the chance lately to look and put on some of the new masks out there. The Proto FS system is one that I liked as well as the V-force Vantage, the new Vents I have only seen really. I did like the look and feel of a pair of Raven NVX's I checked out about 2 months ago. But I could just stick with a newer pair of Spectra's, the ProShield, Flex8 or even the Proteus. My biggest requirement is that I have the ability to get new lenses, I keep my masks in good shape so they last and will be used for years, and because I live in Florida and do not want to wear sunglasses under my mask, I need to be able to get thermal and tinted lenses for it.

I have taken to wearing contacts when I play now so I am not concerned about it being OTG friendly. Please don't limit replies to just being about the masks listed, I am open to all suggestions. BTW I did look at pbreview but I trust everyone here as my extended PB family more than some kids wanting to be "agg".

My Gallery
Feedback at MCB
Feedback at SCP
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
terrible speller

Send a message via AIM to knightmare96

Of all the goggles I have tried, I love Vents. But really for the money, nothing beats a good pair of JT Spectra Flex 7/8s

The Avatar is probably the nicest, but I agree with you, a mask should not cost more than the gun.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Go with Flex's. Easiest to find all types of lenses for.

Don't cost $80 like those horrid Dye's and such.

Can get them for $40 new usually.

Here you go:

Black or Olive Flex's for $40 at Action Villiage
Old 09-02-2006, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Custom Gunslinger

action also has proteus's on sale for labor day. Might me tough to pass up

Anyone have Proteus experience??

My Gallery
Feedback at MCB
Feedback at SCP
Old 09-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nerd=Geek

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I use a proteus as a backup mask since I bought a Profiler. The Proteus is a great mask for ventilation but it's a small mask which some don't like. I wear glasses and even though I have an X-wind fan on it, I rarely used it. If you still wanna stick to the JT line, go for one of these.

Andry : )

Proud member of The Peacekeepers, UMSG JTF7, Rogue Cell #12 and CCABB

My Feedback Soft and Hard gear F/S! Got cigar tubes?
CrazyBoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Custom Gunslinger

action village also has the Proto FS on sale, not my colors really but not much more than the Proteus.

My Gallery
Feedback at MCB
Feedback at SCP
Old 09-02-2006, 07:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to badkarma

I use a proteus and Am very happy. I have the fade tint amber to clear thermal lenses, fan, and it has the sport com wich I think works very well.
I highly recommend them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
68 specials are big manly tank guns, not little woman guns...thats what Shockers are for...
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/faq.php
http://www.tacticalreplicas.com
Factory Team
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

The V-Force Pro-Vantage is $25.00+ shipping:
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/...cAAAEB34DeIgF9

Personally, I like the V-Force Profiler myself. I also believe it's a foolish argument to say that your goggles shouldn't cost as much as your marker. Frankly I want my goggles to be BETTER than my marker. It's better to miss an opponent than to lose one's eyesight. That having been said, spending more doesn't mean that you're getting more protection. I am a fan of cheaper markers (I'm a Tippmann Fan and prefer taking out people armed with thousand-dollar markers) but I'm no fan of cheap goggles. You only have one set of eyes. Paintballs are cheap (relatively speaking). Eyes aren't.

Last edited by ZanderC; 09-02-2006 at 08:55 PM. Reason: update
ZanderC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Custom Gunslinger

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanderC View Post
The V-Force Pro-Vantage is $25.00+ shipping:
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/...cAAAEB34DeIgF9

Personally, I like the V-Force Profiler myself. I also believe it's a foolish argument to say that your goggles shouldn't cost as much as your marker. Frankly I want my goggles to be BETTER than my marker. It's better to miss an opponent than to lose one's eyesight. That having been said, spending more doesn't mean that you're getting more protection. I am a fan of cheaper markers (I'm a Tippmann Fan and prefer taking out people armed with thousand-dollar markers) but I'm no fan of cheap goggles. You only have one set of eyes. Paintballs are cheap (relatively speaking). Eyes aren't.
I do believe it is foolish to say your goggles should not cost as much as your marker when I have been more than happy with my X-fires ($25 w/ thermal lens) for years. It has been a real trooper and has been fog free including when I have been wearing glasses underneath the entire time. The $90 masks actually protect you less because they are more open in the chin and neck area. They also normally have larger holes to allow your hot breath to escape but it also allow paint and shell in. I am not saying "Wear some $5 shop goggles, they are good enough.", just that the law of diminishing return shows that what you get for $90 is not a lot more than what you can get for $25-$45. It is that intial $25 cost that protects you because that is the cost of a decent mask, goggles and lens combination for a manufactor. Is it the best, probably not, but better than shop goggles or a welding mask.

So I guess that you are saying that you enjoy playing with a marker that costs as much as your $25 Profiler

My Gallery
Feedback at MCB
Feedback at SCP
Old 09-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric
So I guess that you are saying that you enjoy playing with a marker that costs as much as your $25 Profiler
Please re-read the message. I said that the Pro-Vantage costs $25.00, and that I like the Profiler (which is $85.00)
ZanderC is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts