mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   HPA pin valve leaking - any quick fixes? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/3733-hpa-pin-valve-leaking-any-quick-fixes.html)

PJ 09-13-2006 09:20 PM

HPA pin valve leaking - any quick fixes?

I had my 88/4500 and 48/3000 Pure Energy HPA tanks filled last week. I looked at them today and the 88/4500 was down to about 1000 psi and the 48/3000 was at ~800 psi without having been used at all since being filled to near capacity. I did notice that the pin valve on the 88/4500 sounded as if it had a slight leak, so I moved it with my finger to the side and it stopped. I'm assuming that the other one has the same issue. Both are used tanks. Any fixes that I can do without having to have someone tear into the tanks or send them back to PMI? The local shop has replaced the fill nipple on the 88/4500 twice as it was leaking, but supposedly it was fixed after I put the o-ring back to where it was supposed to be in the nipple and the tech (loose usage of the term here) replaced it back on the tank. This was the first time I had the 48/3000 filled since I got it. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

eric 09-13-2006 09:27 PM

there should be 2 set screws on the sides of the asa (mines black and silver i know some where different and didnt have set screws)

but basicly you can take them out and the silver piece screws of or comes off and you can change the oring in there (the tanks have to be empty)

so if your shop has an oring to fit or you can get pmi to send you the rebuild kit (they did for mine free of charge) you can try that and it should work

P4p3Rc1iP 09-14-2006 08:11 AM

Yes, and whatever you do, if you like your life, do not put any oil in the reg. :)

Gumby 09-14-2006 03:16 PM

Actually P4p3Rc1iP you should warn people not to put any oil in the fill nipple. Regulator seals still like to be oiled and if the reg is being taken apart it's a good time to lube them up with some approved oil. This can also help with the low-pressure leaks out the end of the valve.

Deadfall 09-14-2006 03:25 PM

I don't know if Pure Energy regs are serviceable while aired-up, but I'm going to guess that they're not. So, don't forget to de-gas the tank completely before you go taking stuff apart.

I know that's an obvious one, but you can never be too cautious with something like this.

kidneythief 09-14-2006 03:55 PM

Why would'nt you oil the reg?

-Jake

Gumby 09-14-2006 04:03 PM

You don't want to put oil into the fill nipple because it can create a combustion inside of the bottle. Aside from the chance of having that happen cause a combustion, fire and possible explosion, the oil or even water can cause damage all on it's own. As the air hits the liquid it will accelerate it and this can actually cause pits inside of the bottle which may cause it to fail the next inspection.

Titus 09-14-2006 04:08 PM

When I used to work on these, it first depends on which top hat you have on the valve, PMI had two different ones. Most likely they are the ones with the Allen Screws on them. If so, the top hat is reverse threaded, that would need to come off, I believe it's an oring issue. I would honestly contact PMI about that and have them take care of it. Most of the time it's free of charge except for the shipping of course.

PJ 09-14-2006 06:15 PM

OK, thanks guys, I appreciate it!