mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Need help re: tank regulator

First, I don't have pictures at this time. I need help identifying a tank regulator, so here's the story.

I bought a package that included a Nitroduck 68/45 tank (SCI cylinder). It was out of hydro, so I took it to my local paintball shop for rehydro. The shop removed the regulator assembly and sent the tank for retesting. At some point, my shop lost part of the regulator assembly. I haven't run across one like this before, so I can't just buy a new regulator and move on. And before you post it is the shops responsibility, I know but here are other reasons I'm not going to push them on that. Here's the issue regarding identification of the regulator.

The opening on the neck of the bottle is larger by about 25% than a normal regulator's threading. The tech at the shop thinks he still has part of the regulator that does fit into the neck. For all the world, this part looks exactly like a CO2 tank's pin valve assembly. Given my preference, I would rather just buy a replacement regulator and move on, but I don't know what to even look for. Any ideas?

custar
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Anyone?

custar
Old 05-17-2008, 05:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Original SWARM

Nitro duck used tanks with larger threads.I had one get damaged and looked around but no other regs used the larger thread.
They said the part was $22 but I had to send the it in, so I did.They charged me $75 to fix it without approval. So for that reason I would buy a new tank and reg made by someone else.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Ouch. Thanks for the info. I may just pick up the bottle and see if someone has one of the old regs. Otherwise, it isn't worth sending in.

custar
Old 05-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

Nitro Duck had a two piece regulator a few years ago where the regulating section stayed on the gun and the tank had but a CO2 style poppet valve. Similar concept to the old Smart Parts regs.

I think that I still have the tank end. It is the older version that did not have the fill nipple but an off/on valve.
You needed a cap with a fill nipple to fill the tank.

Dan
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not a Furry

Send a message via AIM to Clearush

brand new nitroduck reg off ebay just under $40 shipped

Paintball HPA Nitroduck NEW I-reg 4500 psi 800 output ! - eBay (item 300223998915 end time May-18-08 07:56:11 PDT)
Old 05-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearush View Post
That is the wrong thread in the link.

I met with the guys @ nitroduck a while back when i was working on another project and they didn't have any regs of that size thread on hand. If you really get into a bind i can call them and see what they have.
proshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not a Furry

Send a message via AIM to Clearush

ahhh didn't know they changed thier threading to match everyone elses
Old 05-18-2008, 01:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Nitro duck never made there own stuff, it was farmed out. The reason they have new regs is becuase the people who made there stuff got tired of NDs BS. Granated thats just one side of the story, however everything I was privvy to well over a year and a half ago has fallen into place. ND gets there crap from overseas now as far as I know, and pays about $15 per unit, as thats what they threatened the US company they would do if they didnt lower there 40 dollar price tag.
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
Nitro Duck had a two piece regulator a few years ago where the regulating section stayed on the gun and the tank had but a CO2 style poppet valve. Similar concept to the old Smart Parts regs.

I think that I still have the tank end. It is the older version that did not have the fill nipple but an off/on valve.
You needed a cap with a fill nipple to fill the tank.

Dan
That may well be what it is. The shop has exactly what you describe as a CO2-style poppet valve that fits the tank. They didn't know what it belongs to, but it fits the tank exactly. It seems likely then took it off the tank before sending it for hydro and didn't keep good track of which tank as associated with it. If your suggestion is correct, I guess I could track down a PPS female Stab or an old Thor and dedicate the tank to one marker. I can't think of much else to do with it.

custar

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts