mcarterbrown.com
 

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Active Member
 
Andrewliu6294's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007

Barrel Honing?

I have a Dye SS Boomstick thats been heavily used, and the bore is no longer mirror polished, with tiny little scratches and imperfections. This is my only barrel, and I cannot justify buying a new one when this one can be fixed/repolished

I talked to Legion, and it seems that getting a barrel rehoned is much cheaper than getting it bored out for inserts, or buying a new back.

Does anyone know a place that'll hone barrels? Cheaper is better, preferably.

Last edited by Andrewliu6294; 05-12-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Andrewliu6294 is offline  
Old 05-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
agentSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan

On the old 'give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach him to fish, feed him for ever' scene, Brush Research's excellent Flexhones are for sale at a fair price. Then you're set for life.
It's pretty simple, a little honing oil on the brush and make a few passes down the barrel with the hone on a hand drill and you're good to go:

Brush research Paintball section
Self centering and self tensioning, they work very well.

I recommend for touching up a barrel like you're doing the Levigated Alumina extra fine, it will take off the least amount of material per pass, and at $36.81 it's cheaper than it was when I bought my first one many years ago.

Rob
__________________
PISTOLERO:
We play Pistol and we encourage the Few despite the discouragement of the Many.


agentSmith is offline  
Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch
 
B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lynn, Ma

Hone that barrel and you will have a SS sewer pipe, it will be huge bore. As long as the scratches are lateral and nor real odd one they are just fin and in fact help not hinder as the uninformed think. Just give the barrel a quick polish with a Redz battle swab use noting more aggressive than brass or silver polish.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy;

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline  
Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
agentSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan

B and I disagree on this subject obviously.

As someone who oneballed a running HS Mercenary(and tourney player) at 60 FEET, 6 and a half mins into this video, Village Game , shooting .685 paint through a .693 barrel(a feat I repeat with regularity) I call BS on all things regarding paint to barrel match.
Unless the paint is so small it won't be held by the detent, it just doesn't matter as long as the barrel is smooth. If the barrel is not smooth, it will shoot like poo.

I shoot small paint through big barrels all the time with great results including 30 shots a 12ie, and though I haven't done true scientific experimentation to prove it doesn't matter, THAT'S BECAUSE GLENN PALMER ALREADY DID IT! Glad not to have to bother, Thanks Mr Palmer!


Rob
__________________
PISTOLERO:
We play Pistol and we encourage the Few despite the discouragement of the Many.


agentSmith is offline  
Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
Sly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Send a message via AIM to Sly1

unless you have funky shaped paint.. which for most of us is fairly regular
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
There's this honey where I work. Hopefully she dies before me.
Feedback-
Sly1 is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 03:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Jordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Smithville, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
B and I disagree on this subject obviously.

As someone who oneballed a running HS Mercenary(and tourney player) at 60 FEET, 6 and a half mins into this video, Village Game , shooting .685 paint through a .693 barrel(a feat I repeat with regularity) I call BS on all things regarding paint to barrel match.
Unless the paint is so small it won't be held by the detent, it just doesn't matter as long as the barrel is smooth. If the barrel is not smooth, it will shoot like poo.

I shoot small paint through big barrels all the time with great results including 30 shots a 12ie, and though I haven't done true scientific experimentation to prove it doesn't matter, THAT'S BECAUSE GLENN PALMER ALREADY DID IT! Glad not to have to bother, Thanks Mr Palmer!


Rob
Not sure what kind of gun you use - but with a closed bolt, like a Cocker or Sniper, you NEED to match your paint.

Now, if you have a set of wedgits in the barrel you can get away with what you've been doing, or if you have an open bolt gun, go ahead - the most accurate gun I've used was a Tippmann with a large bore BOA barrel.

Anyways, back to topic - like B said, don't worry about some scratches, as long as they are linear, meaning they go along the length of the barrel. Is it shooting poorly? If it's still shooting okay, then leave well enough alone.

Jordan
__________________
Please Leave Me Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
agentSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan

Quote:
Not sure what kind of gun you use - but with a closed bolt, like a Cocker or Sniper, you NEED to match your paint.
What exactly are you basing this on besides the advertising of those who sell closed bolt markers AND BARRELS????
Glenn Palmer, who went to all the trouble of making a glass paintball barrel says you're wrong. Tom Kaye, with his highspeed stop motion photography says you're wrong.
So I hope you'll pardon me for not believing you.

DON'T ASK A BARBER IF YOU NEED A HAIRCUT!!!! HE WILL ALWAYS SAY YES!!!!

If a ball arrives at the end of the barrel with no spin at 300fps, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THERE'S A CLOSED BOLT BACK THERE, AN OPEN BOLT OR WGP ELVES, the ball will travel exactly the same on exactly the same path.
This is called PHYSICS and it will not be denied by all the powers of advertising.

As I said though, if the wedgits or the detent won't hold it that's the only possible problem.

If the ball arrives at the end of the barrel with no spin and it's shaped like an M&M it won't fly any better no matter what.
The fractions of a second it's in barrel can't be shown to have ANY effect on the ball whatsoever once it leaves, unless that barrel imparts spin like a flatline OR A BARREL WITH A SCRATCH RUNNING DOWN IT.
Noone's ever heard of the old 'line of nail polish down the barrel' working just like a flatline but me?????
Noone understands linear scratches would have the same effect?????

Anything else?


Everytime this subject comes up, B trolls right in with some method that requires the skills of a DaVinci to keep from wrecking a good barrel, when a flexhone IS $40.00 and lasts(so far) for 20 years!. I don't know if he just hates science or if Bud Orr is paying him.

Show me some science NOT made up on the spot by Bud Orr!

Edit: Added something then found it a little rude and took it back out, but to me this is like being told the phase of the moon affects WHAT TIME THE SUN COMES UP. For anyone who wants some flexhone info: Brush Research Manufacturing: Brush Literature


Rob
__________________
PISTOLERO:
We play Pistol and we encourage the Few despite the discouragement of the Many.



Last edited by agentSmith; 05-13-2008 at 08:15 AM.
agentSmith is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Not a Furry
 
Clearush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: HTown, Texas
Send a message via AIM to Clearush

for the sake of rollouts a paint barrel match or wedgits are a good thing on "closed bolt" markers.


And unless you have a gouge in the barrel that is busting paint a shotgun swab with some brasso chucked into a power drill can make that bore look shiney and pretty for a cost of $8-$10 total cost with brasso left over to do it again. Flexhone could be a good thing but it may not be nessecary.
__________________
Black Watch Scenario Paintball Team , MCB Feedback
Carter's Commando Texas division
Clearush is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
pizzaluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
What exactly are you basing this on besides the advertising of those who sell closed bolt markers AND BARRELS????
Glenn Palmer, who went to all the trouble of making a glass paintball barrel says you're wrong. Tom Kaye, with his highspeed stop motion photography says you're wrong.
So I hope you'll pardon me for not believing you.

DON'T ASK A BARBER IF YOU NEED A HAIRCUT!!!! HE WILL ALWAYS SAY YES!!!!

If a ball arrives at the end of the barrel with no spin at 300fps, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THERE'S A CLOSED BOLT BACK THERE, AN OPEN BOLT OR WGP ELVES, the ball will travel exactly the same on exactly the same path.
This is called PHYSICS and it will not be denied by all the powers of advertising.

As I said though, if the wedgits or the detent won't hold it that's the only possible problem.

If the ball arrives at the end of the barrel with no spin and it's shaped like an M&M it won't fly any better no matter what.
The fractions of a second it's in barrel can't be shown to have ANY effect on the ball whatsoever once it leaves, unless that barrel imparts spin like a flatline OR A BARREL WITH A SCRATCH RUNNING DOWN IT.
Noone's ever heard of the old 'line of nail polish down the barrel' working just like a flatline but me?????
Noone understands linear scratches would have the same effect?????

Anything else?


Everytime this subject comes up, B trolls right in with some method that requires the skills of a DaVinci to keep from wrecking a good barrel, when a flexhone IS $40.00 and lasts(so far) for 20 years!. I don't know if he just hates science or if Bud Orr is paying him.

Show me some science NOT made up on the spot by Bud Orr!

Edit: Added something then found it a little rude and took it back out, but to me this is like being told the phase of the moon affects WHAT TIME THE SUN COMES UP. For anyone who wants some flexhone info: Brush Research Manufacturing: Brush Literature


Rob
He also said that if you have wedgits you can do what your doing. I don't believe he was saying anything about the accuracy of a bigger bore. He was talking about the fact that they will roll out of a cocker or closed bolt marker more easily. This WOULD be bad on the accuracy and FPS.
__________________
MCB Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +14/-0

I ball for Team Fracture
B&E Paintball --- Wild World Paintball
pizzaluvr is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
agentSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan

A good thing I agree UNLESS the marker has this new thing called a 'detent' or another new invention you mentioned called a 'wedgit', I WILL correct you, however, that rollouts are not any good in an open bolt marker either.

I mention rollouts in every post so what's your point exactly?
As for:
Quote:
And unless you have a gouge in the barrel that is busting paint a shotgun swab with some brasso chucked into a power drill can make that bore look shiney and pretty for a cost of $8-$10 total cost with brasso left over to do it again. Flexhone could be a good thing but it may not be nessecary.
unles you're a terminator, you will not be able to get the precision that the self centering and selftensioning flexhone gets. $40 AND THEY LAST 20 YEARS IS PENNIES A BARREL!!!!

Listen, it's not my mission to go around poking holes in WGP's silver dollar pinata, but I won't be trolled into silence by repeated comments about sewer pipe or SEPERATE issues like phases of the moon or rollout.
Andrewliu6294 did not ask about rollouts Clearush. Had he I would've suggested getting a smaller barrel.

WGP doesn't even enter my world, they don't make a pistol, so they might as well make lawnmowers, I could care less about them. However, I won't have people with bad or no data insinuate I'm a liar. Everytime B has trolled me I've given him the links to REAL data, he's never read a word of any of it or I would've gotten an apologetic PM by now. Deep Blue is waiting for him and the rest of you over at AO.org, let Tom Kaye call you guys liars instead of me.

I made the shot in that vid and every other shot I've made for the last 5 years, including 12 eliminations in a SPPL Finals game in Oklahoma last year, using a $120 Armotech zeus and then a $120 Miltec G2 pistol, both with .691 barrels flexhoned to .693.
Our 15 man(10players onfield, 5 subs) team took second in the michigan SPPL qualifier behind the Gardners and Darryl Trent with Smart Corps and took 10th overall out of 80 national teams with me as the onfield commander in all but 3 games(the onfield commander can't be subbed). My team believes in my pistol because they see things they don't want to believe all the time and it's NOT because Hong Kong makes magic barrels it's because I honed them.

The detent in my cheezy pistols wouldn't work for smaller paint when I got it, so ironically I use a Cooper-T COCKER detent that I modded on there, so I know a cocker detent is equal to the task if it's installed to it's maximum depth. I can now bench-rest shoot a mixed mag of .689 and .685 paint with noone able to tell what order I loaded them into the mag.

Rob 'can you tell I'm on Prednisone' Smith
__________________
PISTOLERO:
We play Pistol and we encourage the Few despite the discouragement of the Many.



Last edited by agentSmith; 05-13-2008 at 09:08 AM.
agentSmith is offline  
Closed Thread

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC