mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 05-13-2008, 02:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dive Dive Dive

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Vforce Grill opinions

Just wondering what people who own them think of them. I own a set of profilers and DYE I3 pro's. I love them both but each has feature I like and dislike.

The Grill seems to be more of a union of the two so to speak. The size of the DYEs and the compfiness and easy of lens changing of the profiler.

Just looking for opinion on them from people wo have owned/own and or used them before.

Thanks

PS I have tried them on
It like the CCM version of Two Girls One Cup.
I will ban folks.... I swear.
TF

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
worrptangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

I don't personally own a Grillz, but a friend of mine does and he doesn't like them. He says they fog up pretty badly compared to his old V-Force Morph.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I own a pair and they're ok. I haven't had any fogging issues, but the lenses themselves seem more fragile than others too me (chipping/flaking of coatings). The quick disassembly is really nice,but the design also offers more holes and slits for paint to get caught in. i.e. I have to disassembly and clean my Grillz after each day of play, where as I can just rise off my Pro-flex to get the same results.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
They're amazingly comfortable masks but the anti-fog coating wears off easily. Fogtech is a HUGE help though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I'm no hippie, but I do lack any sense of style.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ThePixelGuru

I like mine, though they started giving me a headache after wearing them for a while at the last scenario game I played. Could have been the heat, though.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have 3 pair of them. I like the option of changing out the foam when it wears down, for some reason my foam dissolves after less than a season. One thing that I do not like is the possibility wearing them with the latches 'unlocked' and having the mask fall apart.

Official ATS Owner's manual online http://www.box.net/shared/dqgglm0bsx
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have 3 pair of them. I like the option of changing out the foam when it wears down, for some reason my foam dissolves after less than a season. One thing that I do not like is the possibility wearing them with the latches 'unlocked' and having the mask fall apart.
Seen this happen, some PB dvd has it on there where the guys mask falls apart as he is walking off the field.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I had mine fall apart as I was walking out onto the field. After that I made sure to check the locks, but in all honesty it would not be a problem if you do not take them apart between games and forget to lock them again.

Official ATS Owner's manual online http://www.box.net/shared/dqgglm0bsx
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Been using JT's for over 10 years now and just got a set of these through my sponsor. Seems comfy and reminds me of the old brass eagle 280. Im used to folding my spectras up which is one thing i dont like off the bat. Im a heavy breather Everyone on the team swears by fogtech tho. good thing thats in the deal as well.
kutulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Grivooga Send a message via Yahoo to Grivooga

I like my Grills (I will forever boycott the spelling with the Z) but they aren't perfect. The anti-fog coating is amazingly effective with new lenses but seems to wear out quickly. On both of mine the foam started to separate from the eyepiece long before it wore out. Super-glue fixed that issue though. Cleaning them is super easy. You can pop the lens out clean it up and have it back in in about a minute.
Forgetting to lock the eyepiece in place should not result in catastrophic failure even if the strap is looser than it should be. The frame held by the strap holds the eyepiece roughly in place even if the eyepiece is not locked to the frame. Experimentally I couldn't make mine shift to an unsafe position with reasonably exaggerated movements and pressures.
The lens retainers could be a problem if they aren't locked with the strap clips. I wish the Grills were designed so that the strap would pull out of the frame if it were not locked into the lens retaining clip because then it would be improbable to be able to put them on without the strap clips locking the lens retainers. I guess they didn't want the strap to come loose should a clip fail but seeing as the clip would have to have both teeth break to pull out I consider that scenario less likely than accidentally leaving the retainers unclipped after reinstalling the lens. As it stands I just experimented with mine and the lens was still secured without the strap clips locking the lens retainers. Shaking my head and bumping/flexing the mask repeatedly did not dislodge either of the retainers or the lens. Should both retainers be removed (necessary to remove the lens), on my head the lens still stays in the frame. If you have a very wide face it may pop out but my wide face was not wide enough to flex the mask frame enough to cause the lens to come out with normal movement. Now if you grab the mask and spread it as if to take it off - boing there goes the lens (but only if both retainers are out). Could it happen? Yeah it could (and apparently has) but it's a compound failure stemming from user error and unlikely.
I once neglected to push the little pins on the lower piece of my Flex 7s through the bottom of the upper frame. It held its shape long enough to put it on and go play at which point it pivoted down from the earpiece screws hanging like some comically distended jaw until I pushed it back up and exited the field to assemble them correctly.
Far more embarassing is the time I grabbed my Grills off the table on the run heading towards the field and pulled them on before I noticed that the lens was not in the frame and had to run back to the table to put the lens back in (all of 20 seconds).
Grivooga is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts