mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 05-15-2008, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Raptor and Sterling

What is the difference between a raptor and sterling barrel threads?

What needs to be machined? Look at picture...

Thanks a ton guys. I have to guess the red line?

Last edited by Cunha; 05-16-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Actually I think photoshopping the lines off would be a lot easier than machining.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Thanks cow. I needed to accurately add it to my super good MOD'z thread on pbn where i show everyone howz to mod their guns to shoot good.

Anyone?

By blue line or red line i mean machine the part of the barrel underneath the red or blue line..
Old 05-16-2008, 03:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
One Shot Wonders

Send a message via Yahoo to Delamorte

CCM Fan
The red line. I can get a pic tomorrow morning of one that we just had made up. It shows really well what needs to be done. There is a little more to making it fit than just taking that shoulder off, I had to do a bit of sanding on the neck of the barrel as well, below the threads, just to get it to slip into the throat of the gun.
"OMG! Oh! - MY! - GOD! ... I've been playing over ten years and nobody ever told me I had to wear a cup! It's an outrage! A Conspiracy! Why didn't anyone tell me I could get shot in the balls! They hate my balls! Ten YEARS! Ahhhhhhhh! ... conspiracy" ~WilD

My Feedback
Delamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Cool. I just needed to understand. I decided that if I can find an older brass lined stock sterling barrel than I will just use that.

Thats the trouble. Even if they made sterlings cocker threaded (or spyder as they have) most barrels are not smooth and arent good for using an over the barrel pump.

Id be happier if they made them phantom threaded.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
The trouble with Sterling barrels is that they have such a long sleeve (part inside threads) so that no barrel whould actually match in length. The closest you can get is by using a Angel threaded barrel (OLD Angel threads that is) since it also has metric threads and lenthen the sleeve by machining off the inner few threads thus gaining another 5mm or so. While you're at it you will need to take just a little bit off the sleve outer diameter since the Angel barrels' have an ever so little bigger OD.
Mostly you end up with about two turns of threads left on the barrel, but that should be enough. Now you need to keep machining away material in front of the threads (your red line) to get a full length of 54mm. If you have both a Sterling and an Angel barrel just hold the together and you'll see.

Btw, i've heard that J&J Angel barrels have a smaller OD on their sleeves so they fit inside a sterling. The threadfs can be a bit pointy and have a larger OD so they need to be sanded/machined down a wee bit.
Anyway, you will still have to machine it since the sleeve is too short...
Vomitsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
YS-OFG

Phantom barrels are actually too narrow for the pump handle. The pump hole is a .925 ish, phantom barrels are a .875, or something like that. A bushmaster barrel is too fat, a Phantom barrel is too thin. I tried em both.

I really think someone needs to make an absolutely HUGE run of CNC'ed brass sizers, from Sterling to Phantom or cocker or whatever, so we can all enjoy matched paint, no rollouts, and brass goodness, without going on this wild goose chase.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just need a run of sterling barrels that take any common sizers whether it be freak inserts, the current powerlyte inserts, CCM barrel backs, whatever.

I guess I COULD get my stock barrel wedgited but the only reason I am looking for another barrel is because when I hold the barrel up to the sky and at just the right angle, I can see rings in it. I never like to see lines or rings that go perpendicular to the paintball.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

I heard at one time that J&J could run a barrel for the sterling?
figone12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Just need a run of sterling barrels that take any common sizers whether it be freak inserts, the current powerlyte inserts, CCM barrel backs, whatever.

I guess I COULD get my stock barrel wedgited but the only reason I am looking for another barrel is because when I hold the barrel up to the sky and at just the right angle, I can see rings in it. I never like to see lines or rings that go perpendicular to the paintball.

Have someone bore out your stock barrel for inserts, easiest solution.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts