mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 06-10-2008, 06:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
Post Whore

On the website, I've tried to be VERY diplomatic. The point was to preserve history, and not bash anyone.

It is sometimes hard to get facts, since as you would expect, much of the history is contradictory. Some people make claims that are more like fantasy. But who do you trust?

Much of the "history" was left out of that page because of those reasons. Lots of "He said, She said", and finger pointing. Montneel, for all its great products, had internal problems from Day #1, to today.

SO, the short version- Jim was involved in the early days, but before they produced semiautos, thus is unlikely to have any parts from that era. He does own one of the pumps though. He shows it off at his museum

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #32 (permalink)
Stange, but not a stanger

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
He said something along the lines that due to the hardening process, and unless he did a massive run of them, any small production of sears would be $300/each.
Not sure what Perry is talking about. All of the seers in the Mega-Z's were hand fit to each marker and then we hardened them by hand. Took it a little time, but not terribly expensive.

I would be wary of ordering a new Z from Perry, it is unlikely to perform as well as the old ones because it will not get the Craig (Busty for those who know him) love that was given to them back in the day. That being said, if you say nice things, I'm sure Craig could be talked into tuning anything that you did get. He's still pretty easy.

Moe is supposed to be sending Craig and I a bunch of the parts he does have. If he ever actually remembers, I'll let you guys know what we end up with.

Chris
tarakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #33 (permalink)
Rec Poster

where's moe?

does anybody have a way to contact moe? i would like to get in touch with him. thanks - dana
mblaster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #34 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaster31 View Post
does anybody have a way to contact moe? i would like to get in touch with him. thanks - dana
Hi Dana,
Long time no shoot at you.

Moe is living in Massachusetts at the moment. I have his number somewhere, if I can't find it, I can get it from Craig. PM me your contact info and I'll be glad to forward it to him.

Also, per my previous post, Craig corrected my poor memory, sorry apparently too many braincells have been lost on the battlefields of barley. The seers were hardened during the manufacturing process, it was the catches that we case hardened at the shop.

That being said, if anyone needs a new seer in their Mega-Z, Craig (from MontNeel) has some that he said he would be glad to install for anyone here for $25 plus shipping. This includes the seer and custom fitting it to your Mega-Z. You will need to ship your Mega to him or me. It anyone is interested, PM may and we can make arrangements.

Chris
Old 06-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarakian View Post
That being said, if anyone needs a new seer in their Mega-Z, Craig (from MontNeel) has some that he said he would be glad to install for anyone here for $25 plus shipping. This includes the seer and custom fitting it to your Mega-Z. You will need to ship your Mega to him or me. It anyone is interested, PM may and we can make arrangements.

Chris
That is good to know

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:31 PM   #36 (permalink)
MCB Member

What would be the cost of valve and hammer kit to convert to C/A if any of you have the parts around? Also how about the availability of valve o-rings? I have tried everything I can think of to fix the two valves I have but they still keep leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #37 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jim View Post
What would be the cost of valve and hammer kit to convert to C/A if any of you have the parts around?
KTooling sells the kits for.... alot. To do it yourself is possible. It would consist of 2 major steps:
1- Boring out as much volume from the valve as possible. Typically, drilling those ports to as large as possible, like the 3rd valve in the picture:

2- Add a volumizer. A simple solution might be to drill a 1/8" hole on the left side, and then maybe a 1/8-1/4 adapter, to an empty chamber? You might be able to skip this by connecting the valve to the vert ASA with a very large line, like a 12" macroline. Tons of volume in those things.

I think Chappy was working on an HPA conversion, so hopefully that turns out well.

Quote:
Also how about the availability of valve o-rings? I have tried everything I can think of to fix the two valves I have but they still keep leaking.
KTooling also has rebuild/maintaince kits. I've bought a few in the past.

The orings are not Buna/Nitrile. Buna is currently popular because its cheap, but its works terrible with co2. I think Montneel used silicone orings, or maybe even Teflon. Teflon orings are very expensive, but are designed for ultra-cold applications.

Probobly moot. If you get the HPA conversion to work, then you might be able to use "off the shelf" buna orings

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #38 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I think Chappy was working on an HPA conversion, so hopefully that turns out well.
Yeah, I need to get an 1/8" npt plug to "finish" it and borrow an HPA tank and see how that's turning out. I tried it out earlier with a cold CO2 tank(non-siphon) and got in the 260's, so that gave me some hope. However, mine had the longer hammer that's supposed to work better with hpa/gas as well as the longer powertube with the larger ports. And thanks to HP I have the LPC.
I should take some comparison pics of the powertube and hammer types, might be helpful for folks looking for specific ones.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #39 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
I believe the o-rings were urethane, but I'm not sure. I will check with Craig after work.

As for an HPA conversion, Craig and I are working on a new valve design that we believe will allow any Z to use HPA without the "stack of dimes" volume chamber on the side. We have the initial design done and expect to begin prototyping soon.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #40 (permalink)
MCB Member

Ya, I stopped at the shop back in about '97, (stepped into the remains of an air-soft war) and visited with you guys about the HPA conversion. I don't remember who I met, but there were 3 guys at desks then and one of you straightened a valve tube for me. That is when I learned about the longer valve tube and point on the end of the hammer to get more dwell from the valve. I have already side taped the body with a 1/8" fitting on the right that I could use for a volumizer so maybe all I need is to get a hammer from Perry. I can check with him about O-rings as well.
Chris, I will look forward to seeing what you and Craig come up with. Like HP I prefer CO2 but none of the fields around here stock it and I am getting tired of carrying my bulk tank along every time I go to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts