mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 06-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Race'd Cocker on CO2?

Not sure how well a Race solenoid tolerates CO2 (I think they're Humphries) - I plan to get a Fatty at some point with it to replace the Torpedo reg that's on it already, and I may pick up a female Stab to double reg it.

Sound like a good setup? Or should I just break down and get a HPA tank?

I'm really not that familiar with e-Cockers, least of all a Race frame, so I'm a little lost at the moment. I'll have it this week, just want to see what I have to do to use it this weekend. I've already got a spare female Stab I can toss on it if need be, with a matched A/S tank.

Jordan
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

I dont think the Humphries are rebuildable, in the case that co2 overpressurizes them?

The stab has co2 vents, which greatly reduce the chance of a blown noid, but not 100%. If you really wanted to run co2, a Rock also has vents, plus the anti-siphon would make for a pretty good combo.

nick

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Seems to me that a HPA bottle would be cheaper and less hassle than setting the gun up to run properly with CO2 or buying new parts because you killed the 'noid with CO2.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
drg
Banned

HPA is the ultimate solution, but FWIW Torpedos work fine on CO2. A friend of mine ran CO2 through a torpedo to feed a Rainmaker; you can't get any more demanding in terms of sheer gas movement than that.
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
Seems to me that a HPA bottle would be cheaper and less hassle than setting the gun up to run properly with CO2 or buying new parts because you killed the 'noid with CO2.
I agree, but I don't have a HPA tank right now, nor the spare cash to purchase one with, so I have to make do with Co2 for now.

Jordan
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

Old 06-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

As long as you don't shoot long timely ropes with it, you should be fine.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I agree, but I don't have a HPA tank right now, nor the spare cash to purchase one with, so I have to make do with Co2 for now.

Jordan
My point was that purchasing two Palmer regs for around $170 is more expensive and more hassle than just buying a HPA tank and doing it right the first time. If you try to run CO2 without the Palmer reg combo you may damage the solenoid and then you'll be out the money for a replacement solenoid and you'll still have to buy the palmer reg combo or the HPA bottle.

If your cocker is fairly efficient and air fills are nearby the field you could start out with something cheap like these:

Smart Parts 48/3000 Paintball Tank Guerrilla Myth Regulator

Paintball - Paintball Guns, Paintball Tanks, Paintball Gear, Paintball Reviews

My brother-in-law uses the bottom one on his new Black Magic and although the tank needs refilled rather frequently he likes it a lot.

A used fiber wrapped 4500 could be found a little bit more than that if you shop around.

I'm not saying you can't use CO2 or that you'll definitely have problems if you do but I am saying that by trying to use it you are taking the risk of spending more money in the long run and causing yourself unnecessary frustration. If it were me I'd shelf the gun until I had the money to use it properly and not risk damaging it or dealing with frustrating problems.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
Sometimes CO2 is a necessary evil, if no HPA fills are available (I.E. playing on private land) a dual stab setup can come in very handy...

I use a anti-siphon tank and a fatty reg on my mech cocker, and I don't have any liquid issues, but then again, I don't have 'noids to worry about.
spadge67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
I guess I phrased the question badly - I do plan to get a HPA tank at some point, but not at the moment.

Just wanted to know if it was possible to run CO2 on a Race'd Cocker, or, as mentioned, should I shelve it until I get a compressed air tank.

Jordan

Old 06-18-2008, 06:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Well I have run CO2 on an ecocker successfully with a dual-reg setup. You will want to work to keep liquid out as much as possible.

LP internals help too. This is something that got lost in the switchover to HPA as the dominant gas ... LP had an inherent point with CO2 use due to the thermodynamics of CO2.
drg is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts