mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 06-23-2008, 05:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Odd regulator behaviour?

So today I finally got a little area fixed up with my F1 Chrony I bought a few months back and my ABS pipe target. Chroned a few of my toys to test it out.

On one autococker with a WGP Black Magic reg I found some odd behaviour. I'd get three shots that would move up in velocity in small steps from around 285 to around 295 and then the fourth shot would be down around 250 to 260. Then the next around 283 to 285 and it would work up to the low to mid 290's again then BAM! back to the mid to high 250's range again. It was pretty consistent with 4 to 5 shots before it would drop back. I tested it over about 25 balls. And it isn't the rate of fire. I was shooting and checking the velocity so it was only about 1 bps. So there's not a recovery issue at work here.

Any thoughts on this? Any way to clean or adjust it to be more consistent?

On a more general note I'm really finding that paintball regulators are generally utter crap. As a scuba diver where regs can consistenty maintain very small variations in pressure the lack of ability with our paintball regs is really dissapointing.

I recently had a Palmers Stabilizer for a little while. Testing it on my very crude pressure output checking setup showed that it was really bad in terms of pressure consistency when I'd crack and close the little valve that simulates a firing of a marker. And given Palmer's rep I found that this was truly odd. Mind you it was only one example and I only had it for a short time as I was acting as a middle man on the shipping.
miracle in some small way.........

Last edited by Railgun; 06-23-2008 at 05:25 AM.
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
I recently had a Palmers Stabilizer for a little while. Testing it on my very crude pressure output checking setup showed that it was really bad in terms of pressure consistency when I'd crack and close the little valve that simulates a firing of a marker. And given Palmer's rep I found that this was truly odd. Mind you it was only one example and I only had it for a short time as I was acting as a middle man on the shipping.
Well the Stab didn't fare particularly well on the infamous "Regulator Dyno" chart from a few years back.
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Clean and re-oil the regulator and you may see better performance, but you may also want to check the rest of the system (i.e., the marker) for other possible causes of velocity fluctuations.

Also, have you sweetspotted the valve? If you have the reg really close to overpressurizing the valve, then a spike in pressure (due to dirt, lack of oil, whatever) could cause the cocker's mail valve to overpressurize for that one shot, causing the velocity to drop drastically.

MCB Feedback
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
la la la la revolution

I have two cockers and swapped components between them for aesthetics.

My favorite gun (Black Magic) wasn't very consistent, so I swapped its chrome reg for the black one from my stocker. No improvement to the Black Magic's consistency. I just figured "it is what it is".

This weekend I finally got around to finishing and sweetspotting the stocker with the Black Magic's old regulator. It was rock solid. 275, 273, 274, etc., performance I've never seen on any marker before. Ever.

I think I've got some valve work to do.
MondoMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

It was funny due to the consistency of the 3 to 4 shots being high and then the sudden one shot dip of 30 to 40 fps.

It was a purely preliminary exercise with no time available for work or further testing. Hint..... when you do the laundry make SURE the tub stopper is taken back out after you wash your paintball guns and barrels. Leaving the plug in the sink really dampens your day's activity..... grrrrrrrrrr.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts