mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 06-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Cocker problem

Everything is set correct for swing trigger frame. Cocker will only shoot one time. Can having a 3way set to short cause this? I'm not using a regulator at this time. At first I thought the Detonator reg was the problem,so I took it off. Now it's just straight air. Still the same problem. I have changed out the LPR and the RAM. Any suggestions?
Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Do you have the x-way set up backwards from "normal"... normal being plumbed for a slider... I believe for a swing trigger the x-way gets plumbed differently.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

It's correct for the swing trigger.
Later,
Blackrain
Old 06-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Hmmm okay. Well at least that's good.

Does it only shoot once or does it cycle once?

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

yeah, more details please -

when you first gas it up do you get the first trigger pull as cocking?

then the second pull shoots, but the gun won't shoot anymore?

and by only one shot - do you mean only one valve dump - then it doesn't cock again - or does it cock but not release the sear the second time?

do you gas it up already cocked?
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Tried raising the LPR?
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Yes, having it set too short can cause this. If you pull the trigger very slowly without the marker cocked does it vent a little from the 'x-way'? If not, then it is too short. I would imagine that if the LPR was too low that the o-rings on the 'x-way' would leak. I could turn my LPR down and the marker would still cycle but the pressure wouldn't be high enough to seal the o-rings. By cycle I mean move the backblock, not actually go through an entire functioning firing cycle.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

If the ram cycles and has full resistance to moving both in the foward and in the back positions then your 3way is putting air to it. With the trigger not pulled try to pull back the back block. It should feel like it takes about 5 to 6 lbs of pull to move it. Then pull the trigger and hold it. With it held there should be the same 5 to 6 lbs of force needed to push it forward. And while holding it there should not be any air leaking from the 3way. If it passes these tests then it's not from too short a trigger travel. Now if the ram seems lazy to move smartly then you may just not quite opening the 3way to the back air all the way. Adjust the trigger to go back just a hair more so the 3 way can open that hole more fully.

Now if the ram is cycling right but it's still only firing once then that's a hammer lug issue or the recocking points are a little too close to the first half of the trigger travel. What may be happening is that your firing point and recocking points are too far apart OR too close together. I've had it be bad from both ways. But usually with the fire and recock too far apart it won't catch the hammer lug on the release. Try turning the lug further in by 1/4 turn increments until it gets better. This will move the fire point back further in the trigger travel but it helps ensure a catch so it stays cocked. If you go too far and they are almost on top of each other you'll start to get a lot of feedneck puffing since the hammer will still be firing while the bolt is moving back to open the neck. The idea is to find the happy middle ground.

Moving the timing rod is the other way to do the same thing but it's a lot less fuss with most setups to move the hammer lug a little unless you're trying extra hard to set up the trigger travel super short and with very tight timing. In that case you just need to adjust both as required to put the events in the right part of the trigger travel.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I forgot to mention this is a mid block. Sorry. Turtle innovation style.
Later,
Blackrain
Old 06-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Not a Furry

Send a message via AIM to Clearush

IF the ram is moving the sled when the trigger is pulled there are really only two things that could be a problem the LPR is set to low so the sled with bolt and hammer are not going far enough back to recock, or the hammer lug is set to short to catch correctly on the sear.

If the ram is NOT moving the sled, there is either a problem with the LPR or x-way.

also remeber to check an make sure the moving parts are not causing undue resistance.

example:My friends cocker had a very loose ram rod going to the back block, this alowed the ram rod to spin freely while firing at certian positions the ram rod would catch and stick on the body causing the trigger to hang along with the back block. Took about 30 min to tech that one out.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts