mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-14-2008, 02:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Bitter Young Man

I started with airsoft. Airsoft helped me alot, and that is why I came into paintball much less of a noob. I learned tactics, gun safety, and maneuvering and concealment. Airsoft helps alot with tactics, but doesn't offer the same feel.

I invited my airsofter friends over for a day of paintball. They were actually not bad at all, and have sold their airsoft gear and have played paintball ever since. Happy story.

Last edited by HyePower; 08-14-2008 at 02:49 AM. Reason: typo
HyePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

I am thinking I can use various scales of targets.

I am thinking I can use various scales of targets. A small target at 20-30" is like an opponent at 75".

Also hope to practice at various speeds and eventually I can index automatically.

Big problem presenty is sighting with a mask on - and using a marker without sights (automag with a left feed in the way....eventually will mount a red dot.). My A5 also is problematic with a mask /car stock combo.

Shaken......but not stirred. Licenced to paint.
bond commander bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsters View Post
well airsoft is good when ur playing like against someone because i use a spring pistol that u have to cock back
and i play 1v1 with my friend and i practice tactics and snap shooting also cause i play pump :P

I did the same thing. My boss and I got the side cocking single shot MP5SD clones from I&I Sports. He built a small room for us to practice in with full netting covering the lights, carpeting, etc. It was about 50-60' long and maybe 15-20' wide. perfect for 1-on-1's and 2-on-2's. Once we played 3 adults vs. 4 kids and it was a bit cramped.

Continually playing game after game after game was really great exercise. We'd play for 45 minutes or so and I wouldn't be surprised if we played close to 90 round. Just total grinding.

Plus the multitude of close quarters battling will rid you of any fear of playing close to your opponent.

Some of the best times I've had playing any type of shooting sports.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyePower View Post
I started with airsoft. Airsoft helped me alot, and that is why I came into paintball much less of a noob. I learned tactics, gun safety, and maneuvering and concealment. Airsoft helps alot with tactics, but doesn't offer the same feel.

I invited my airsofter friends over for a day of paintball. They were actually not bad at all, and have sold their airsoft gear and have played paintball ever since. Happy story.
One problem I had at first was adjusting to not being able to easily track the flight of the airsoft pellets. Not that it was a huge prob. (you're basically gonna be shot/not shot once the ball is in the air) but being able to track back where the ball came from and occasionally dodging a shot was not as easy as p-ball imho.

Did you get the same feeling too?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mespllingesnogud

Quote:
It will still fly way differently.
If you use good quality airsoft BB's they should be almost as accurate as paintballs. Smaller size means less wind resistance. Good quality ammo is approximately $20 for 10,000 for the normal weight pellets. Heavier pellets are more accurate but a bit more expensive.
Mespllingesnogud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

^ I totally agree that having good quality pellets make a big difference. Not just in the flight of the pellet, but also in keeping your airsoft gun from getting ruined.

Good pellets are a must. Get all of your buddies together and buy them in bulk (case quantities).
Old 08-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ThePixelGuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mespllingesnogud View Post
Get a barrage barrel for your A5. Lets you use BBs rather than paint. No annoying reballs to keep track of. You can use much less air to get the BB to 300 FPS.
Huh. Just curious, but how does one load such a thing? I can't imagine the cyclone feed doing to well with BBs. Reservoir of BBs mounted to the barrel...?

Also, anyone know if Airsoft BBs would hurt/weaken/chip the lens on my Grillz or JT masks? I've been thinking about playing, it'd be encouraging to know I wouldn't need a new mask/goggle setup.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've always played with JT's and never had any chipping or scratching probs with airsoft pellets.

But then again... I don't play vs. peeps with monster hop-up kits and such. Not sure if a direct hit with a pellet going 500+fps wouldn't change my mind about it LOLs.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mespllingesnogud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelGuru View Post
Huh. Just curious, but how does one load such a thing? I can't imagine the cyclone feed doing to well with BBs. Reservoir of BBs mounted to the barrel...?

Also, anyone know if Airsoft BBs would hurt/weaken/chip the lens on my Grillz or JT masks? I've been thinking about playing, it'd be encouraging to know I wouldn't need a new mask/goggle setup.
It is a barrel mounted gravity feed. The bbs are plastic so I doubt they could scratch a plastic lens easily. Most airsofter's use PB masks, those mesh "airsoft masks" don't really seem that popular. For most people it's either impact resistant goggles (i.e. shop goggles) or PB goggles. Ask on an airsoft forum, I'm sure they can answer the question with 100% certainty. Just don't tell them you play paintball.
Mespllingesnogud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mespllingesnogud View Post
If you use good quality airsoft BB's they should be almost as accurate as paintballs. Smaller size means less wind resistance. Good quality ammo is approximately $20 for 10,000 for the normal weight pellets. Heavier pellets are more accurate but a bit more expensive.
true they have less wind resistance, but they also have less mass. Less mass means less inertia, hense easier to blow off course.

Thunderstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~FinSec View Post
If it has tits or tires its gonna cause trouble.

Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts